Thread: Finding your voice

Finding your voice

Hey ladies,

So as I have been getting more into the beautiful life of crossdressing I have noticed something. Trying to make my voice sound more fem is quite difficult! Now I've been practicing with different sounds but somehow I always end up sounding like a high pitched flamboyant gay male. Now I'm a realistic person and I know my voice will always have male qualities but I am curious if any of you have had the same problem and how you overcame the problem to ultimately find your sound. Thanks for reading 😄

Jennifer, like anything you want to be good at, practice. I learned a technique that has lead me to a passable female voice. Sit by your self and talk out loud in a normal, not stressed voice. Listen to the pitch and tone for a while. Vary the pitch from high to low with out straining. Reading something of length out loud will help. Try to find the middle of your range. This would be the same as finding middle C on a piano. Now practice the same way, but keep your voice above your middle C. Don't strain or push to the extreme high end, just talk above your middle tone. As time progresses (years) you will naturally drop into this new range without thinking about it. Adding just a hint of air to your speech will polish your new voice up. Good luck!
    Last edited by Heidi Stevens; 02-02-2016 at 08:47 AM.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    I'm told there are some good videos on YouTube that will help, but I've never seen them myself. Perhaps someone else here has seen them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

I don't think there is any quick fix to this dilemna! Maybe pretend we are dumb, which is the old word for, cannot speak! Heidi's answer may be the best, but will take practice and much time.

Thanks guys and Heidi that's great advice! Like I said I've been working on it and just need more time to perfect it is all.

Trying to speak in too high a pitch will attract unwanted scrutiny. Many women have lower pitched voices yet still sound feminine. Try speaking in a pitch that is a little higher but also try to learn how to have your voice originate from "higher up" in your "voice box". Soften the tone and choose words and phrases that are more commonly used by women. Most women have a certain style of speech that is different from a male. Listen closely to women who have a voice that is not high, squeaky nasal, etc. and try to copy them.

It does take practice as well as a bit of confidence. Good luck!
    Hugs, Carole

Banned Read only
    Jennifer,
    I've just been to my find social evening and no one bothered to change their voice. I always said when I get out I would still be me , it's not an act but just letting the female side have it's freedom.

I've had good results from these two training systems, available on-line:

Fundamentals of Your Feminine Voice , by Kathe Perez

Transsexual Voice Lessons , by Melanie Anne Phillips

I primarily used the first one, didn't really even do the full course, and I now have a pretty passable female voice tat is accepted as normal by people who meet me as Ceera.
    Last edited by Ceera; 02-02-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Suddenly Fem has some great resources on cross-dressing.
    Here is a link to the female voice section: http://www.crossdresser.com/learning...voice-lessons/

Banned Read only
    Yesterday, my sister in law phoned the land line.
    And I subconsciously answered the phone in a different tone.
    She thought she had phoned the wrong number as "thought I was speaking to a woman".
    Inside I was over the moon.
    No voice training for me as long as I can get the voice right every time.
    Happy days. 😆

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    i happened to observe a seminar on this at a recent tg convention , granted i was in the hallway cause i just happened to pass by and saw it, and diddnt actually register for the conference, but what i did see was very interesting because the woman had a guitar out and was playing notes for the gals to hit, it was extremely interesting....if you can ever make a seminar or convention i reccomend it.

A big difference between genetic males and genetic females is the size of the voice box ( hence the larger adams apple and lower register). Simply shifting into a higher register only makes a lot of girls sound like Minny Mouse. I am learning ( still a work in progress) that using the back of the throat with only a slight rise in pitch eliminates a lot of the vibration coming from the voice box and hence creates a timbre that is distinctly more feminine. Pitch is far less the answer than is resonance, coupled with an array of speech patterns, word choices, inflections and so on that are more typical of feminine usage. It is a very tough thing as for most of us our voice is intrinsically caught up in the emotions surrounding our persona. Many people take a criticism of their speech patterns as a direct attack on their person, and even for a trained speaker, changing the gender projected by a voice is extremely hard. But it can be done and there are many who have done so.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.