Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your Dr. need to know?

Does your Dr. need to know?

Does your primary care doctor need to know about your crossdressing? I'm long over due for my annual physical and when I go in, I'm planning on discussing depression and anxiety issues.
    If crossdressing could possibly be a contributer to either one of these, should I mention it or save it for a therapist? What do you think? Does your doctor know?

Melody
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

If you think it has any impact on your depression then probably yes but if you feel like your doctor cant act professionally then maybe not and a therapist might be the right course.

I'm wondering if a therapist would be the appropriate professional to discuss it? Wondering if your general practitioner would be referring anyway to a therapist. Certainly should discuss your depression and anxiety concerns with your doc to at least get started in who to see next. Hope they can get help for your concerns!
    Samantha

It all depends on circumstances. If you crossdress a few times a year and it has no effects on your health, then I see no reason for disclosure. If it is contributing to depression and anxiety issues then you should definitely let your physician know. Also, if like me, you are considering HRT then you definitely need to. disclose.

If you are going to disclose then I believe you need to see a physician who is trained to deal with transgender issues.

A therapist sounds like the better person to talk with than a regular doctor as far as the depression and anxiety goes.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

First, your PCP won't care what you wear. But if you are stressed, you could ask them for a referral to a counselor or therapist (usually that's how you get your insurance to cover, chain of command)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    Melody,
    Please don't hesitate to tell them , my GP thanked me for being honest , he helped me with referrals for counselling and was very supportive, they are there to help you but aren't mind readers, so be up front , you have nothing to lose .

I agree with Teresa, do tell them, especially you are taking any sort of supplements. All of my doctors and dentists know. So there is never a surprise when they see my bra and panties. I think they have seen it all anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Silver Member
    I don't think he or she can help with that other than referring you to a therapist but i think your comfort level with them should guide you. I have been to many a therapist who had no clue (claimed they did) how to manage gender issues so you will want to find one who does. Psychology Today's website has a therapy finder which could help you narrow the field and it has insurance info too but hat needs to be verified for accuracy. Next step would be to call as see what they say.
    If you think the depression is tied to CDing then get to a skilled therapist.

Mine knows. And he's actually a supporter because he saw positive effects on my health when I started to accept myself. Part of depression and anxiety is suppressing your true desires. If crossdressing is a meaningful part of your life then refusing to accept yourself can cause problems all across your life.

Reality Check
    I don't think your doctor needs to know that you are a crossdresser. Maybe if you wear tight corsets he/she might need to know.

I would suggest your Doctor needs to know if it is affecting your health issues.

Anxiety, Depression, Stress, etc
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by grace7777 View Post
    It all depends on circumstances. If you crossdress a few times a year and it has no effects on your health, then I see no reason for disclosure. If it is contributing to depression and anxiety issues then you should definitely let your physician know. Also, if like me, you are considering HRT then you definitely need to. disclose.

If you are going to disclose then I believe you need to see a physician who is trained to deal with transgender issues.
    This good advice, and from recent experience this month I had with my PCP / GP. I found out that my doctor was not trained or had experience to deal with this and basically she admitted that to me.

Sad to see in 2016 that medical professionals are still clueless and uneducated on trans health issues in general. I could write a book, but will save it for later.

Do your due diligence is my advice, otherwise you will end up misdiagnosed and prescribed treatments that will not solve the problem
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Banned Read only
    The question I would pose to you is whether cross dressing is the source of your depression and anxiety or cross dressing helps relieve your depression and anxiety. I know when I did not have the opportunity to be en femme as often as I liked or needed to be, then I started to become rattled. I found being en femme relieved PTSD. After I retired and I had adequate time to be en femme I found myself on an even keel.

This may seem like a subtle different, but, I think it has a bearing on how you disclose it to any professional.

Some people have depression issues due to chemical imbalances in their body. It does not necessarily have to be an emotional or mental issue.

I agree that a therapist is the wiser choice than your primary care doctor. Oddly enough, my fiance is a therapist and while she does not specialized in TG/CD issues, her training really helps our relationship. My suggestion is that you seek out a therapist who specializes in TG/CD. Perhaps other members in MN might have suggestions. I understand that many therapists are transitioning from a therapeutical model to a coaching model. This allows them to have a more personal relationship with their clients without the constraints of traditional therapy. Also, you should know that you are not alone and I suspect many other members have the same issues from time to time. I know I do and having a trained therapist to talk to is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri K View Post
    This good advice, and from recent experience this month I had with my PCP / GP. I found out that my doctor was not trained or had experience to deal with this and basically she admitted that to me.
    Sad to see in 2016 that medical professionals are still clueless and uneducated on trans health issues in general.
    Not sure why you would think the the majority of GPs would have much knowledge of Trans issues. We are only 1-3 % of the population, by some estimates. My GP of 5-10 years has had to deal little with my or partners Trans issues. He deals mainly in older people of 40s and up. I have only recently getting him up to speed, as I am thinking of my long term health from my past.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgette_USA View Post
    Not sure why you would think the the majority of GPs would have much knowledge of Trans issues. We are only 1-3 % of the population, by some estimates.
    Because they deal with conditions that are rarer than this? Because the basics of HRT are dead simple, and largely identical to treating cisgender people? Because only a few hours of training could teach them to treat us as human beings, and with respect? Because their lack of training contributes to horrible health problems for trans people?

Because they take an oath to treat people and preserve life?

But no, most doctors are clueless at dealing with trans issues. Finding one who is helps a lot.

As for a therapist, most of them won't help if your depression and anxiety are gender related - i.e. gender dysphoria. You should find one who knows gender, in my opinion. And yes, anxiety and depression can be symptoms of GD. That has certainly been my experience.

Paula
    I agree it would be nice for all that. The last 3 GPs in 10-15 years, I'm not even sure my partner and I even mentioned being Trans. In over 35 years we never even went to any doctors. So they treated us just like all their other patients. So yes maybe we need to have a due diligence to check out our care givers.

I never believed in therapist for myself. See two many TG/TS now that are waiting for a therapist to give them answers. Maybe that is a good thing, if there are doubts all this may not be for them.

Aspiring Member
    I started to tell mine the other day when I went in for the hernia. Wanted to tell him I had been tucking. Then I said wait a minute I don't want them looking at me funny next time I go in there. I feel like that would spread around the office quickly even though I do trust my Dr.

Whenever I see a should I tell someone thread, my 1st thought is, if you are not sure you need to, you really do not need to. Not that you can't, or shouldn't. You can tell your PCP, but they won't be likely to help you a whole lot. If you are having anxiety at best they might give you a script for ativan or something. They might be able to refer you.

From past experience with 2 different therapists, one gender specific and one general, if you are going for gender issues for your anxiety, try to find a gender specific therapist. A general therapist may help some, but likely their knowledge will still be less than yours. They could give you some basic relaxation techniques, but not likely will be able to help with significance in the long run.

A gender specific therapist on the other hand, that is what they do, and will have tons of knowledge and be able to help you in all kinds of ways, so long as it is one who isn't just hellbent on everyone who walks into their office transitioning. Occasionally you may find that, but I think most are truly out there to help you be you, wherever that is.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

The need to tell for me is whether my past may have any bearing on the doctor or tests.
    Eye doctor - no, Foot doctor - no, my GP - yes, Heart doctor - yes, Mammogram and bone density tests - yes, Gastroenterologist - don't think I did - maybe that one should have told - high liver Lipids, Dentist - no. For hospital or emergencies - have not needed, but my partner did - so yes for her.
    Most of these would be different for non HRT CDs. I'm not sure there would ever be a need to tell any doctors, unless a therapist or Pysch, for any CDs.

I have to say, sadly,that if you are suffering from depression, the source of that depression matters little to your GP usually. And sadly. However, it is well worthwhile telling him or her what you think might be a contributing factor, in which case your Doc might me able to refer you to a therapist. You see, anti-depressant medication is often effective in treating symptoms, but that is not enough. Concomitant therapy, particularly Cognitive Behavioral therapy is the way to go. If yo want to talk, PM me.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I told my Dr. because was hurting "Down there " . she was shocked and said I probably pulled something from tucking .
    funny how she canceled on my next two appointments. the receptionist made it a point to say it was a random cancellation because of meetings. Really? Twice???

It's amazing how many of us suffer from anxiety and depression

I told my Primary Care Dr. and I feel he has a better understanding of my health needs now .
    He was very supportive and said that his office would be supportive of any decision i may make .