Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lifetime in the making.......a going out tale.......

A lifetime in the making.......a going out tale.......

I almost don’t even know how to start this post. Finally “going out” seems like something that was almost 4 decades in the making and the emotions are very overwhelming still. I will attempt to blend the narrative of the events with some of my emotions that I was feeling. I am sure I will leave out a few details because, as I said, I’m still a bit overwhelmed by it all, and the fact that my "going out” was a two-day “event”. I appreciate each of you reading it and welcome any feedback and questions. I know what it is like to “want to go out” but being too scared to do it so hopefully it can serve as an inspiration to others who are similarly situated.

I was presented with the opportunity to meet a CD friend in a large metro area about two hours away from me for two days with no specific agenda other than getting acquainted and going out together to shop and eat, etc….

My wardrobe is very limited so I arrived the afternoon before and did a little shopping “en homme”. I really needed a top as all I had was sweaters (having purged last fall) and the temps were supposed to be in the mid 70’s. I could only find one!! And it wasn’t really that cute, but it did give me something to go out in and “hey I’m here to shop as a female, so I’ll get more, right?”.

The big day arrived and I woke up early (actually I had just rolled around in bed from about 3AM onward with excitement) and got my makeup on. I had this terrible fear of not being able to get my makeup on right with it being the “big day”. I don’t know if all CD’s are this way but sometimes I can get my makeup “right” and sometimes, I just have to “wipe off”…LOL…. Well, it was sort of a struggle but I got halfway presentable just in time. My friend arrived to pick me up and our first order of business was a meeting at the wig shop that she had arranged for me. We drove about 5 minutes over to the shop and the big moment had finally arrived!!! I had to get out of the vehicle and walk across the parking lot, walk in, and interact with people dressed as a woman! WOW….At this point, luckily, instead of fear taking over, my natural personality of “just do it” took over. So out the door and over to the shop we went! When we walked in we were greeted by the sweetest lady that was about my age (I guess, LOL) and the conversation seemed to be pretty easy but my heart was still pounding!! I had to pick out a few wigs to try on so that we could begin the honing process. I could only pick two out…..suddenly I was “choosy”….WTH!?!? Luckily with those she was able to start making suggestions on length, color, styles, ect….always asking me my thoughts and having my desires first but with a guiding hand of what looked best. After about 30 minutes between the three of us we had made a decision!!! I felt like a million dollars and suddenly my heart wasn’t pounding anymore. I felt calm! And most importantly, I felt pretty!! I am blessed beyond words that the shop owner was so very helpful as was my friend in making suggestions and comments. If possible I would suggest having a good honest friend with you to help with the process. It makes it worlds easier.

A note for anyone considering a “good” wig from a shop, there is going to be no one “perfect” wig. You are going to like the back on one wig and the bangs on another and the color on another, ect…the trick is tying it together in the best compromise that you can. The wig I finally decided on cost $350 and was a lace front. I put up a thread yesterday in the beauty section and welcome comments on it. It was an investment that I don’t regret. I believe it is the best money I have spent as a CD.

So with my new wig on my girlfriend and I head back to the vehicle and we are ready to shop!! We spot a Marshal’s in a strip mall just down the road and pull into the parking lot. Into the store we go! Tara’s big moment! Immediately the greeter who was a female says, “good morning, ladies”….OMG…the thrill!!! My first time in a clothes store as a woman! We shopped around. My friend tried on an outfit. I needed some female sunglasses! It was so fun trying on sunglasses. Preening like a woman to find the “right” pair of sunglasses. Finally I found a pair I liked. I also needed a makeup case to keep some makeup items in my purse. Found one of those as well. No employee or other customer ever acting in any way towards me as if I was anything other than 100% woman. It felt incredible. But now we had a hurdle to jump in that my voice is pretty male. Obviously this was a little different than the wig shop. I have been practicing on my voice a little the last few months with my phone making videos, etc…but it just seemed so fake, I decided to pretty much just use my normal voice. The register lady never batted an eye…..friendly as could be!

Our next stop was a Target store to look for tops. Wow, are the Targets in the metro areas bigger than the Targets in “Podunk, Texas”!!! We browsed around and I picked out a few tops. Time for another biggie: trying on clothes! We strolled over the dressing rooms and walked right in. Mission Accomplished! I tried on my tops taking a few selfies to send to my friend for the thumbs up or down and, of course, for posterity of my first time in the ladies dressing rooms. I picked up a couple of other items and we self checked at Target.

At this point it was about lunch time and we decided to eat at a BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse in an outdoor mall area. Walked in an had a brief wait to be seated. After getting seated, we ordered a couple of beers and I had an Asian salad. The waiter was friendly but kept referring to us as “guys”. We couldn’t decide if that was just his pronoun of choice, as some people always use the phrase “guys” or if we were “outed”. We decided we did NOT care. He was friendly, the food was good and we were having fun. I had two beers and of course “nature called”. Another big hurdle: the women’s room!! My friend went first, and then I was going to go, but two young moms took two 3-4 year old kids in with them. I decided to wait until they left. When they left, I just strolled in got a stall and had no problems. Another lady walked in and I finished, washed my hands, and checked myself in the mirror and out I went. No problems!

After lunch, my friend had suggested earlier that I get my foundation matched at Mac cosmetics. She asked if I was “up to it” and feeling pretty comfortable at this point, I said “sure”. Now I won’t beat around the bush here, and I have even said this in several posts here, going to a makeup store was “on my bucket list”. I pined to do this! We walked in and my friend took the lead and asked if they could “match” her friend. They said “sure”. This almost became a surreal experience at this point. Getting in the chair and sitting there in front of “god and the world” since this particular Dillards is more open air and the Mac area is almost a “display window” at the front of the store was incredible. The girl that did me was over the top nice and the three “artists” that were working were super. They all three were helping and oohing and aahing and helping each other and kept telling me I had beautiful eyes and was so pretty. If a 46 year old man could feel like a princess, I think I did at that point. After they matched me (22), I asked if they could do a makeover. The manager said they had a 3 o’clock appointment but that they could ‘freshen’ my makeup. They decided that I needed to “pop my eyes”. That the best way to do this was orange eyeshadow! OMG, I was thinking. But these girls are pros and after seeing it, I was in awe. My eyes jumped out at you. They worked on me for almost an hour with tons of customers coming in and everyone chatting away. None of the other customers said a word or even made any sort of untoward expression. Several smiled. Basically I think I got a full makeover. They redid my whole face. Foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lips, everything. The best part was how they all helped and kept telling me how great I looked. At this point my “fem meter” was on 11 for sure. My friend had got some advice on lipstick from one of the sweet young girls and I could tell they were having a ball too. Since it took so long on me she went upstairs and had done some shopping. I finally caught up.

After this my friend needed to head home and check her pets so she took me back to the hotel and we were going to reconvene for dinner, in a couple of hours. And at this point I could tell, old man 5 o’clock shadow was visiting. When I got back to the room, I was pretty glum about removing my makup to shave. I made the best of it. Got a quick 20 minute rest in the easy chair and then removed my makeup and shaved. I tried my best to recreate the work of the pros. Obviously I couldn’t match their work but I did my best to get ready for our dinner date. (The picture of my wig in the other thread was taken at this point)

My girlfriend had made reservations for us at a nice Italian restaurant, and we arrived and were seated without a glitch. My friend and I were chatting away and noticed that we hadn’t gotten a server yet and it had been probably close to 10 minutes in our booth. The restaurant was a real open restaurant and we could hardly have been placed more in the center of the place. Our waitress arrived and to be honest she seemed a little nervous but was very friendly. I ordered a “Peach Bellini”. I was going for fem! The waitress had “warmed up” and told us that she had just turned 21 and the Peach Bellini was wonderful! And she was right it was!! My friend tried and said it was like “drinking a peach”. I had fish and roasted veggies and my friend had a sausage and pasta. At this point a middle age male brought the food out and while not rude was not friendly and just sat the food in front of us. And actually got our meals reversed. The food was really good! We had a divine time. Chatting away like two girlfriends. Several times, I glanced around at this almost full restaurant and all the people around just going about life. No one gave us a second look. I don’t think we could have blended in more.

After dinner we strolled over to a neat little bar and had a couple of cocktails and some more “girlfriend talk”. It started getting late so we decided to call it a day and headed back to the hotel. I had just had the kind of day that I had dreamed about. In fact it was almost better than I had dreamed about. I had pretty much lived a full day as a woman, almost 17 straight hours (with a shaving break, lol). The interaction with my new girlfriend was priceless. The way were treated all day long by sales associates, waiters/waitresses/sales associates was overwhelmingly positive. I think the “bring home message” of the day was if you are friendly and smile and act comfortable in your skin people around you WANT to be nice and accept you.

I am going to take a break here since this is so long. If anyone is interested, I can write-up day two sometime. Thanks for reading along!

~Tara
    Last edited by Tara Rushing; 02-22-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Yes. We'd love to hear more!
    This is a dream come true. It's on my bucket list for sure, but I am going to need a lot more practice, and a lot more confidence that I can look half way decent. You're lucky that you have a CD friend with whom you can do this.
    It is one of the reasons I am on this forum.
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

Lovely, tell us more. So happy for you. Going out on the town is so much fun.
    Kelli

Wow, awesome.

Tara what a fantastic read and so happy for you! It is so much fun to get out and get pampered and just have fun! Love it, and good for you; wish I lived closer!

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

Banned Read only
    Told ya!

Holy moly, I think you just set the world record for most CD items crossed off the bucket list in a single day. Well done right down the line. The shopping, the wig stop, the makeup stop, the eating, the drinking, it is all good. And, wow, 17 continuous hours is a lot! You done good, Tara. Hugs, Michelle
    Last edited by michelleddg; 02-22-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Amazing story!!! Yes please do a day-2 follow up.
    We members of the sorority of closeteers live vicariously through tales like this.

So happy for you Tara!

Hugs,
    Sayyidah
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara Rushing View Post
    I think the “bring home message” of the day was if you are friendly and smile and act comfortable in your skin people around you WANT to be nice and accept you.
    Good for you Tara! And what a great take-away from the experience! Woo-Hoo!!

I'm glad your big town adventure went well, Tara! I deduced from your post that this may have all taken place at one of the four big population centers in Texas. Your deeper in the Bible Belt than I am, and you did just fine! Your friend sure did know how to pack a lot of activity in one day. Please tell us the how the rest of your adventure played out!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I live in the BUCKLE of the BIBLE BELT.......LOL....

Thank you all for the kind words........I appreciate all the support that I've received here since I joined.....there are a lot of nice girls here....I have always enjoyed and received inspiration from the "going out posts" so I wanted to share mine......I want girls to know that I know how "hard it is to convince yourself to do it" but that it can be done and having a good friend makes all the difference.

I will post day 2 but it may be a day or two

~Tara

Tara, fantastic, so happy for you and can't wait for the next instalment !
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Good for you! I am so jealous!! I've been out to a couple of small stores in a dress and hose, but not the entire day out shopping! That would be fantastic.

Wow Tara, what an awesome day!!! Agree with your take home message.

I've had the same super friendly reception at all the makeup stores, but MAC especially. I think they like the challenge of making me presentable LOL! I've made appointments in boy mode so there is no guessing... I think its easier and the artist and I can be frank about what/how to cover up! I think 60-90 minutes getting made up there is even more pampering/luxurious than a massage! And they do a great job of talking through what they are doing so I have a chance of duplicating myself.

Can't wait to hear about day 2 and what you have planned next

Samantha

Your writing style had me there with you, funny how the nerves go away with the first positive reaction from a stranger and you fall into your self expression and just be your self. Your take away from your day is spot on as our British cohorts say. I know this is not going to be your last foray into the general public. Please do tell of day two.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

What a great day. Can't wait to read about day two!

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    she did it YAY !!!!!!!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Tara I'm so happy for you what a wonderful time, I love these happy stories of those of us who find its really ok being out even if it's just for a few hours thanks so much for sharing

Banned Read only
    Tara,
    I'm so glad it went well for you, after the self doubts and not being happy with your outfit ! All that is in your mind as you soon found out and the rest just followed like a dream, which I'm sure many of us wish they could share !

Please let us have day two soon !

I had to smile at your makeup situation , the girls appear to love male makeovers !

I couldn't believe that at 64, in drab they would give me the time of day, all I wanted was a colour check but it turned out to be a great Sunday morning. The beautician was only going to test a couple of patches but ended up doing the whole left side of my face, she appeared to be enjoying herself and didn't want to stop, and I was in full view of customers. After the clean down she acted like my personal shopper and we discussed mascara, lipstick shades and deodorants, and then handed me some perfume samples. She thanked me for relieving a normally boring Sunday morning !

Wow! So awesome! You jumped in with both feet and it went great.

You did bring up one thing I've always wondered about -- I've never been to a makeup counter because any time I go out I'm already wearing makeup. Do they "match" you against what you normally wear, or do they hose you down first?

They just give you a wipe to take it off...which I did and they matched me. But then the technician pretty much started taking the other stuff I had on off as they started working on my eye/lips, ect........

My advice (not that I am qualified to give anyone advice) is just dress up like you normally would including makeup. I don't think any appointment is needed for the "matching service"....now if I wanted a full makeover, I think the best advice is to call ahead and make an appointment. They give your their card so you can even request the same girl. I think they like that!!

thats outstanding, cramming for your CDing test,
    having a wing-girl must have made it so much more enjoyable,
    congratz, and thanks for sharing....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

congratulations. sounds like a fun day.

Tara,

Thanks for the details, for sharing like that. You can see now that by just getting out and being open and yourself, most people (a more significant majority that I would have ever thought) will either be welcoming or pay you no more attention than they would have otherwise. I am truly happy for you!
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Thanks for posting this, Tara. I could feel your excitement! I've been doing this long enough that it's become rather ho-hum. I love reading about and remembering the excitement of when it was all new!