Thread: Walking in heels, first time outside

Walking in heels, first time outside

During my first experience walking in downtown Seattle in heels a few years ago I had the unfortunate experience of my pumps expanding and slipping off the heel. That made for some ungainly and awkward walking. Certainly not the lady-like appearance I was going for. So, as some advice to those set to embark out for the first time, some hints:

It doesn't matter how much you have walked around the house in preparation for the big day, it's not the same outdoors. I wore my 3" heels for a full day inside, but within a few blocks outside the heel started slipping off. It's made much worse when you have silky stockings on. No matter how well the heels fit, unless you are wearing something with ankle straps, buy some of the heel pads that go in the back of the shoe. That will definitely help.

Take along a spare pair of flats in your purse in the event that a heel breaks. I was unlucky to lose a beautiful pair of 4" heels on a staircase, but lucky it was in my house.

You might also need flats or low heels after walking for extended periods. Concrete sidewalks are not as forgiving as carpet, and after a while you might find that things are pinching and binding in places you didn't expect.

Walking up and down even small hills is really hard. My last outing involved going up and down a reasonably steep grade, and it was so much different than flat surfaces. I found walking downhill much harder than up.

Finally, watch where you your heel lands. Expansion joints in sidewalks and the gaps in boardwalks can ruin your outing very quickly when a heel gets caught. Also remember that spiky heels in turf don't play well together unless you are aerating your lawn.

I'm sure there are other things I've overlooked. Good preparation will make for a much more enjoyable outing.

Aspiring Member
    My first outings were wearing flats. Then I moved up to wedges before progressing to heels. As it happens, I find that heels make a lot more noise and I don't really want to bring attention to myself, so I tend to wear wedges more often.

i would make sure the heels you have you are used to. Like any shoe, you have to have a break in period. If you have to go lower to start, then do so. It takes time and practice, but its worth it in the end
    stay pretty, christy

Banned Read only
    If you were walking up the hill from First Avenue you have my sympathy. Walking down the hill to First Avenue, you have double my sympathy. Everything you describe will happen. I do concur with wearing flats. In the home I can wear a three inch heel all day with no ill effects. No strain. No twisting of the ankle. Total comfort. Concrete sidewalks are a killer, whether flat or hillside. The hardness will tear up your heels. I bought a pair of flats for walking on concrete during my evening strolls. If you're going to take really long walks or up and down hills, it is really wise to buy a pair of nice athletic shoes with bright girlie laces. Carry the heels in a tote. Before I retired I saw all the sane women carried their office heels in a tote.

Walking up and down Pike St. is difficult and even more difficult on Union st.

In the end I chose flats when going to Pikes market from my hotel room on 4th and near union st.

San Francisco has a few challenging hills for high heels also.

Going downhill my feet would bunch up in the toe and on the return up trip I would walk on my toes.

Walking in stockinged feet was not an option either as my feetslid inside the stockings and put holes in them.

I found knee length boots with a flat heel were the best option
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

The first time I wore heels, I could barely stand in them, let alone walk. I wore them in the house every chance I got. Then at night I went out and walked around in them. It took some getting used to but after two weeks or so they felt quite comfortable and natural. When I dressed up and went to the party, I was totally fine and comfortable in them. I walked all over, danced and had no problems at all with them.

Reality Check
    Most of the women we see wearing heels in public have been doing so for many years. A single day walking around the house is not sufficient preparation for wearing them out in public. If I had to make a guess, I would say you should have 50 - 100 hours of wearing them around the house doing things you normally do. Wear them until you forget that you are wearing them. Wear them up and down stairs.

And of course, don't wear heels in public when it's not appropriate. Few women wear heels to the mall or the park and they don't wear them just walking around town. In general, flats, not heels, will help you to pass or blend in as a woman.

I would also add that when going outside, wear a good quality shoe with a decent sole thickness as opposed to some of the cheapo footwear typically sold by the likes of Payless or Walmart. Thin-soled, fashion shoes are fine for indoors, but once you get outside, any irregularity in the surface you will be walking on (rough pavement or concrete sidewalks, gravel pathways, uneven surfaces etc.) will make you feel every stone, pebble, or other unevenness as acutely as the princess did in the fairy tale "The Princess and the Pea".

That, and ideally wearing shoes with built-in cushion soles or else gel pad inserts purchased after the fact will go a long way towards making walking outdoors in heels not only tolerable, but also pleasurable as well.

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    If you're like most women, you carry some tissues in your purse. It's easy to pad the toe of a pair of heels to make them smaller and fit better, and it's simple to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I will keep the things you mentioned in mind before my 'big day'.
    Di

Watch your step. I had the misfortune of turning my knee .it was terrible and hurt like hell. It took months to fully recover.

Like every one else heels took some practice , I actually spent a lot of time In heels on the treadmill for practice. I am a vet in heels at this point the higher the better as far as I am concerned but with 5" er's I still have to pay attention any thing lower is as natural as flats at this point. Couple of lessons I learned the hard way.
    Watch out for the the super slick waxed floors at the mall ! Especially at Macy's
    Going from the grippy side walk to the slick marble I didn't expect it and fell right on my ass once. As stated above unless pumps fit just right you can walk right out of them so some thing with an ankle strap is a good idea. My first outing in public I went into a 24 hour super center at 2 am
    I choose to wear 5 " spiked heels with ankle straps that I walked very well in. Well at the last minute Nerves got the best of me and I decided to take off the ankle straps in case I had to kick them off and run for my life or something. Big mistake totally different walking experience. I prefer boots anyway lol
    Lastly I learned walking well in heels dose t cover every situation. My first time out to a gay bar I wore my 5" thigh high boots dressed down with a slinky maxi dress and a turtle neck sweater over top. Well there I am sitting at a high top table having a drink legs crossed trying my best to look sexy. I was starting to get stares from some biker types at the bar , wasn't sure if they were disgusted or checking me out. I decided to move along to another area of the club rather than find out. And as I wAs trying to confedently get down from the bar stool one of my heels poked a hole and got caught in my dress , I stumbled a few steps my drink flew across the room and smashed. And I fell face first into the arms of the biker that was starring at me. He held me up while his friend freed my heel from my dress
    A small crowd gathered with all the " are you ok's " I was uncomfortable to begin with cuz I was the only cd in the bar and now I was mortified, I thanked every one for their concern. The bartender replaced my drink. I gulped it down and slipped out.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Very good points, Anna.
    I mostly stick to heels, at least when out en femme, that have some extra security to keep from slipping.
    A strap over the top, like a Mary Jane fashion, helps.
    It also helps from my years of experience walking in high heels at home.
    And I also bring a pair of ballet flats if I am going to be out for a while.
    Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Alice_2014_B; 02-26-2016 at 04:14 PM.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".