Thread: Volunteering

Volunteering

Anyone who knows me or had read any of my posts knows that I volunteer en femme. This is an idea I got from asking for things to do in a post here sometime last spring. My reason for writing this post is to make those who are looking for things to do while dressed or are looking for ways to get out, know what a truly wonderful way of getting out and interacting with others volunteering can be. I love the idea that I am blessed to be able to represent the CD community in a positive light.

We all probably have e-mails set up for our female personalities. I started by sending e-mails to a number of places that traditionally seek volunteer help. I was open and honest about my intentions. I let it be known that I am a crossdresser and am seeking to do things while dressed to help others, instead of the same old bar and shopping routines. A true win-win. No one knew who I was so there was little downside in sending those e-mails. A wonderful woman, who runs the volunteer arm of the local Salvation Army reached out and we set up a meeting. I attended that meeting dressed in what I thought a woman of my age would wear to an office job interview. Things went well and since early June, once a week Kandi does miscellaneous projects (spreadsheets, setting up and writing letters, transcribing board minutes, etc.) and the return I get is immeasurable. Everyone treats me well, so much so that I have been invited out to dinner, invited to the homes of my “co-workers” and this week, I am being presented with an award at the annual Volunteer Recognition and Appreciation dinner.

When you volunteer, the people who you work for want help and tend to be more accepting, thereby giving you the opportunity to prove to others that you are a good person, worth knowing. I have been able to dispel many myths held by the general public and it has been heartwarming. I have now also extended my volunteer opportunities to my church and to a local (gay) men’s choir and the return I receive greatly outweighs anything I do for them. Please understand I do not write this post for any praise, just as an example of what we as a community can do to advance the perceptions of us in public. As I have read here time and again, we change minds one at a time and hopefully someday girls like us will not have to hesitate to go out as their true selves. I think I owe that for all the help and blessings I have received since ol' Kandi became a reality. Hope this helps at least one person out there.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Mandy Faye
    That is a GREAT Idea .. Thanks for sharing !
    Mandy Faye

This is a fantastic idea.

-Shelby

Win-win just as you say Kandi. Well worth it for those confident enough to try it.

Karen

Kandi, you are such a sweet person. And what a wonderful thing you do! I wasn't sure if you were still volunteering, but good on you! Proud of you sweetie biggest hugs
    Chrissi
    Smile! You'll always brighten someone's day, including your own from their return smile!

Banned Read only
    Wow Kandi, that is so awesome on a lot of levels! What a great idea...a win for you (by you I mean anyone who gives this a try), a win for the organization getting some much appreciated help, and a win for US in general!

I think that this is a wonderful way to gain experience with simply being oneself.

People who are being helped seldom are critical about the people doing the helping!

Hi Kandi,

Thanks to your encouragement, I have volunteered with an organization on a fundraising event last year. It was a wonderful experience. I will write about it when I have time.

Leslie
    Leslie's Advanture into the Unknown - http://lesliesd.weebly.com/

Aspiring Member
    Congrats to you kandi, wonderful story
    I do some volunteer work also,and its great. Its so rewarding to help others. Keep up the good work dear. We're all proud of you.
    Best wishes to you.

Platinum Member
    Hi Kandi, That is so awesome being a volunteer for a worthy cause ,

Go get two Gold Stars out of petty cash. ~~......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

What a great idea and thanks for posting an inspiring story.

Thank-you for being a positive role model and ambassador for the TG, CDing community. What are you wearing to accept your award?, LBD?, Gown?
    Last edited by Allisa; 03-07-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I think that this is a wonderful way to gain experience with simply being oneself.

People who are being helped seldom are critical about the people doing the helping!
    BINGO!!!!! Very well said.

Unfortunately because I cannot afford to have my picture show up on the front page of the paper (there will be about 300 attendees at the award dinner and the Salvation Army seeks as much press coverage as possible as it stirs more volunteers and donations), I will be attending (completely my choice) in male mode.

Thank you all for your kind remarks, this is simply just the best way for me to "be" instead of "being dressed".
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Congrats on the award - thanks for sharing your excellent experience

Amazing. it says a lot about you as a person more than as a crossdresser. Your huge heart and pretty smile is helping shape public opinion of us so much. I often think that if we could band together as an organization fighting for a worthy cause, we would gain public awareness and positive press. Then my short attention span usually shifts toward dinner.
    (this is my segway from being serious)
    I think a great cause to start with may be drag queen interventions. It is a fact that rehabilitating one drag queen will supply enough makeup for one hundred women.