Thread: Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Ok, I'm a chronic nail biter. I have been biting my nails as long as I have been wearing dresses....a long time. Funny thing is, when I'm in girl mode, I have zero inclination to bite my nails. I mean in boy mode, my fingers are never far from my mouth. Does this happen to anyone else..??

Many, many, many, many years ago I chewed mine down to the nubs, but then I used clear polish on them and it stopped me cold even after I stopped smoking. And when asked why I polished them I told the truth and nothing more was ever said even after they started to grow. Now I can't stop wearing polish of some kind, mainly clear.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I think I'll do that. I will ask my wife. She has a large (300 bottles at least)collection, and must have several different clearcoats.

Yes, but even more than that.

I've bitten my nails all my life until about 1.5 years ago, which was about the same time that I rediscovered dressing. It hasn't been a conscious decision, it just happened. For the first time in my life I need to trim my nails.

Coincidence, feeling more relaxed due to dressing or just a subconscious desire to look better? I really don't know.
    Last edited by Sarah Louise; 03-07-2016 at 05:20 PM.

I too am a nailbiter, but like other said now that i'm using clear polish during the week and sometimes color on weekends, i don't bite much anymore its pretty amazing what a little polish can do for you.
    "There's a she wolf in the closet, open up and set her free" - shakira

I was never a really obsessive nail biter, but never had to trim them, either. I stopped cold as soon as I got acrylic nails for the first time. Kind of like the clear polish idea, only more so.

- Diane

Banned Read only
    I used to bite mine since before I had teeth (paid the dog to do it back in the day), all of a sudden when the pink fog rolled in little over a year ago I stopped cold turkey...like completely!

Same has been true for me after tearing my nails to pieces for 60+ years.... a little polish, a little care, added a ring to each hand and my hands look like I have a natural French manicure... even GG's are jealous. So pamper them and remember the nails are critical to the overall dress!

I was a nail biter and since I got tips and a manicure with acrylic. My nails are long now and i have to have them grind the edges back as I don't even try to short them or bite them.
    Part Time Girl

I use to bite my nails all the time! I quit through will power!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I stopped for some reason and started using clippers.

I've always been bad about biting my nails.

I bit my nails constantly for 40+ years. The night I came out to my SO was the night I stopped. 12 months on all I want to do now is polish them.

I'm another long-term nail abuser. I was always ashamed of how my nails looked, but I just couldn't help myself. I don't remember how many times I resolved to quit.

When I started dressing, the urge went away. A coat of clear polish reminded me, through feel, that I shouldn't have my fingers in my mouth.

I stopped biting my nails a few years ago, but I still play with the cuticles and always have issues with uneven clipping and ragged edges, even using a file. One of these days I will get a manicure, probably with clear polish, to make them look better.

I had bitten my nails since I had teeth. Then when started dressing several years ago i quit, then a year later quit smoking. Haven't looked back.

Aspiring Member
    Same issue with me. If I'm dressed, I don't bite, if not, I can't help myself.

Banned Read only
    Rebecca,
    No I don't bite my nails and never did, I just hope I can keep them all looking good long enough to apply polish and go out dressed, I really hate broken nails now !!

Yep. It's a strange thing.

I'm a nail biter as long as I can remember. I don't do it at home anymore,just at work. When I'm stressed. So I think the only thing that's going to stop it is retirement in a few years. I might try the clear coat if I can get them to grow out a little.

Ok. It has been 14 days since I last bit my nails, and I have to say it is glorious. I actually have nails. I have been wearing clear topcoat for the last two weeks. I love it. I am actually typing this with Sally Hansen Racing Rouge on my nails with a topcoat. Heaven......:-)

Congradulation! I too recently managed to break the habit of years of biting my nails. I still run them over my teeth way more than I should, but it is nice to get to file them and grow them out. Hopefully we are both cured of this condition now.

Good job!

Sincerely,
    Laura
    "Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, because it's OK to be a boy,
    but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because you think that being a girl is degrading.
    But secretly you'd love to know what it's like, wouldn't you? What it feels like for a girl?"
    - The Cement Garden

Platinum Member
    Hi Rebecca, I used to bight my nails down to the second knuckle then about 25yrs ago I stopped
    now mywife will tell me that my nails look feminine.

I thank her for the compliment!

She says that was no a compliment, Go Figure HUH.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

No, I gave up nails in favour of the plastic ones.

Ever tried to bite false fingernails. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.