Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's easer to quit, Smoking, Drinking or Cross-Dressing

What's easer to quit, Smoking, Drinking or Cross-Dressing

What's easer to quit, Smoking, Drinking or Cross-Dressing?
    Is cross-dressing a habit?
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Aspiring Member
    I don't smoke nor do I drink, but I can honestly say quitting CDing for me was a temporary phase, as I am back on the CDing train.

CD'ing isn't bad for my health, so I lack motivation to quit
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

I quit smoking 2 years ago and that was not very difficult for me.
    I drink one bottle of strong beer every day, a docter told me a few days back that I should consider to drink less.
    I can quit crossdressing but do I realy want to? I mean it is not bad for my health though it does not make it easier to find a girlfriend.
    ~~Just seeking happiness~~

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    My crossdressing is not a habit, but an interest. Unlike many people on this forum, I have full control of my crossdressing possible due to it being an activity to me and not the "inner woman". I don't need to crossdress, just want to when there is an event or something that crossdressing would enhance the fun.
    I quit smoking when I was 12 after doing it for a month. Am a very socialable drinker, can't stand drinking by myself (so don't do it at home), could go months without drinking, and when I do it's 3 drinks at most.
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 03-08-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Banned Read only
    cross dressing is not an addiction. Smoking is and drinking can be. They're very different things.

I never had habits to smoke or drink. Crossdressing is not a habit. Over the past fifty years I tried quitting but after a while it come back with a vengeance. I have lost many girlfriends due to the stress of not crosdressing or not getting enough. Purged several times. Wish I had some of the things that I had. This crazy CDing will be with me till I'm dead.
    Part Time Girl

Cross dressing would be hard for me to quit, since I don't really want to.
    Especially as CDing has improved my health, as it's motivated me to lose weight and pay more attention to what I'm eating.
    Stay inspired
    Amy

Banned Read only
    Smoking and drinking are potentially harmful for health and emotional stability considerations. Dressing isn't harmful by itself, but it can be in social contexts, given external reactions.

I smoked for about 21 years and quit in 1988. I did it by substituting with 2 things that I really liked: cashew nuts and butterscotch morsels. Of course, eventually I had to break the habit of eating cashews and butterscotch morsels! However, I don't know what you would do for drinking (I do still drink) and dressing.

DeeAnn

Alcohol is actually what convinced me that I am transgender. I was a weekend binge drinker in college. I literally drank to get away from myself. After a year or two of that I sobered up, got my act together, and managed to limit the binges to one every year or two or five. Then in middle age, I started drinking regularly again, usually about a six pack per week, sometimes two. But a funny thing happened when I came out to myself as transgender. I totally lost the urge to consume alcohol. As of now, I have been totally sober for almost eighteen months.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

When quitting anything, it depends upon why you do it. As one person told me years ago, if I was told that I had to stop crossdressing tomorrow or I would be executed, well, that would probably get me to stop. OTOH, if you're doing it to make one other person happy just because they don't like the idea of anyone crossdressing, that probably wouldn't do it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I'm hooked on the endorphins released from CDing. So for me it is an addictive drug. Smoking has been a nemesis to me. I've quit many times - no joke!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

AmyVanessa said, "Cross dressing would be hard for me to quit, since I don't really want to.
    Especially as CDing has improved my health, as it's motivated me to lose weight and pay more attention to what I'm eating."
    I feel the same way about CDing and have the same experience regarding health. I have to really watch my weight to fit into the clothes I like. I really don't think crossdressing is a habit, and certainly not an addiction like smoking or drinking can be. These are substances which have a chemical effect on the body and brain. I can't imagine crossdressing having this kind of chemical effect.
    Crossdressing seems to be more related to personal taste regarding clothing and the need to express a feminine side. It is does not seem harmful to the health, physically or mentally. When en femme I feel far more relaxed and upbeat than when in drab. For some people being a CD can be stressful due to their social situation or difficulty in coming to terms with it, however. This could cause a person to try to give up or hold back.
    In the end result, as so many people have said, we are what we are. It seems that you can give up smoking or drinking and become a non-smoker or teetotaller. But as one person on this forum put it, you can stop dressing but you cannot stop being a crossdresser.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Compusive personalities don't run in our family. My parents, sister, and I have had no issues or problems with: eating, drinking, drugs, or cancer sticks.

However, I believe dressing has become a complusion for me! Could I quit if I wanted to? I don't know. And, I probably won't until I get so old it's more work than fun for me!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    When quitting anything, it depends upon why you do it. As one person told me years ago, if I was told that I had to stop crossdressing tomorrow or I would be executed, well, that would probably get me to stop. OTOH, if you're doing it to make one other person happy just because they don't like the idea of anyone crossdressing, that probably wouldn't do it.
    That's an important point. Whenever you decide to do (or not do) something, it has to be for your own reasons. If you're doing it for someone else, and it fails, chances are that we will blame everyone except ourselves.

DeeAnn

Aspiring Member
    I had a drinking habit that I eventually dropped when I got my driver's license; all too easy due to the sheer gravity of knowing one is operating a lethal weapon everytime one drives. Didn't help I had mostly emotional reasons to drink - I am not a social drinker.

Would say the dependency on tobacco or alcohol is physical, vice the entirely psychological dependency (if one can call it that) on clothing that crossdressing often entails.

I have explicitly described my crossdressing as a habit, mostly because I wanted space for whatever I considered Lilian to exist even though I need to go extended periods without being dressed, and in part to make it easier for me to command myself not to crossdress without due consideration. Also because to me it's a deliberate act rather than a compulsion (I decide to crossdress).

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea B View Post
    CD'ing isn't bad for my health, so I lack motivation to quit
    What she said!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-Somthing View Post
    What's easer to quit, Smoking, Drinking or Cross-Dressing?
    Is cross-dressing a habit?
    I'd love to answer CDing, but as an alcoholic, I can't.

Alcohol is much harder. It is insinuous. It is invasive. Please don't take that lightly, it is really hard for some of us.

It shuts off the noise, but causes other problems.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

for me, smoking was only ever social accompanied by alcohol, which i drank to serious excess (oblivion)
    cd-ing for me would be harder, but since i realised I'm TS, i no longer need alcohol, for it is the drug of truth, and now being true to myself the habit has gone. it's also no longer cd tho; they're my clothes and the only male stuff left is for dirty manual work
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Reality Check
    It's impossible to determine which is easier. We are all different and have different reasons for quitting (or not quitting) any of the three. I quit smoking in 1972. I quit drinking (doctors orders) in 2009. I have not quit crossdressing because I have no need to and I enjoy it (I enjoyed the smoking and drinking as well but had good reasons to quit).

I have posted many times that with a reason and enough willpower, one can quit crossdressing. Tobacco and alcohol are physically addicting, crossdressing is not. It's just in your mind. You have a decision each morning; panties and bra or briefs and tee shirt. It's your choice.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    It's easy.

Quit smoking. It's just useless, smelly and dumb.

Don't drink or drink in moderation. In check, it can actually be beneficial. And, it makes you relax.

Crossdressing? Quit? Why the hell would anyone quit that?
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

i do not know it all, or have an answer. Each person's brain chemistry, and background is a bit or much different, and I would say for me, that quitting CDing is far more difficult to do. Like Doc said about getting too old, and it becomes too much work, or physical ailment makes it too hard. Humans and animals are very adaptable, and things like prison, war, famine, or a relationship partner can make a person quit, under duress.

The question is being asked of crossdressers, many of whom have quit smoking and/or drinking. That's like asking non-smoking alcoholics if they want a carton of Marlboros or a fifth of Jack Daniels. I quit smoking 22 years ago and drink one or two beers a month, but I still crossdress throughout all these decades. The best answers would be compiled from a large group of FORMER smokers, drinkers, and crossdressers, if you can find any. ha

Banned Read only
    Geez, that would be AUSTERITY, wouldn't it?!?!

DeeAnn

I've always said that coming here to ask if it's possible to quit CDing is like going to a bar to ask if it's possible to quit drinking. I "quit" all three at one point or another in my life, I haven't CDed in over a year, not because I "quit," but because I'm too lazy. You can never say you've really quit until you're dead because you can always fall off the wagon. Here's hoping I don't have to quit anything anytime soon.
    Last edited by LilSissyStevie; 03-09-2016 at 12:50 PM.