Thread: allergies or mascara in my eye

allergies or mascara in my eye

I started wearing tinted moisturizer with SPF30 and just a touch of mascara on curled lashes about three weeks ago. No one has said anything but I generally keep my head down and try to keep my distance when talking to coworkers so they don’t notice.

Well, I almost got found out. I have a female coworker who has been gone for a week on vacation. Being back she’s quite excited about telling us how her vacation went visiting family. She’s pretty young and bubbly by nature but she’s being more so on her first day back. She came over to my desk asking me to print a report that she needs. Now I’m old enough to be her dad but she treats me more like an older brother, so as she was waiting she kept saying over and over, “You been smokin’? What are you smokin’? You been smokin’?” over and over and doing it in a way as to be a general pest.

When I ignored her she got a little closer to me (by this point she was about three feet away) and kept repeating her taunt but then really looked at my eyes and said, “what’s wrong with you? Do you have allergies? Your eyes are watering.” (which is why she was asking about smoking.) I responded with as convincing a yes as I could come up with instead of “no… I just got mascara too close to my waterline this morning and my eyes won’t stop watering.”

Gah!!! Not sure if she could see my slightly curled lashes and mascara or not but she started talking about how her allergies up north during her vacation were non-existent. Sooooo… maybe she believed me?
    Has anyone else who is closeted almost been caught at work or other place you frequent wearing makeup or other CDing paraphernalia?
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

I wI'll never wear it at work, however my dad has caught me with eyeliner on. When asked about it I told him "prince do it" and it just went in from there.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Wearing mascara is pretty much going to bring up questions so be ready for them.
    If you don't want to be "found out" why would you wear it to work?
    My guess is you want to be found out.
    I am allergic to most mascara and eyeliner and they make my eyes all bloodshot so I use Almay hypoallergenic eyeliner and mascara.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    If you don't want to be "found out" why would you wear it to work?
    My guess is you want to be found out.
    The subconscious mind is a mysterious thing. I've been rolling around your question in my head since I first did it and have thought exactly what you stated following the question.

I don't know... I tell myself of course I don't want to be outed but then think "then why the heck are you doing this?!?"

I ran across some vids of makeup for men a few weeks ago and that got me to thinking well maybe I could pull this off and just look a little better... look a little younger and no one will notice. I don't know maybe I'm using that reasoning as a crutch to get caught.

Sue, what brand of mascara are you using ?

I wear mascara upper / lower with eye liner on top lids and have not had any questions at work ?

But it takes some experimenting and lot's of practice..............

I hate to think how I looked many years ago before I learned a bit less liner / mascara is better for daytime / office look.

You will find the right combination I am sure that will relieve the allergic reaction.

Fun story, your co worker probably wanted to hit you up for some smoke is why she was relentless in her asking....???
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Platinum Member
    Hi Sue, This time of the year it could be both. ~~......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I have a friend from Texas that is fairly open about his CD hobby. He doesn't really try to hide it from most people but he doesn't do it at school or work. Even so, he told me how the guy who hired him was so much gayer than him that I can't imagine he'd actually get in trouble for doing it at work. I think his reason for not doing it at work is simply to be professional.

It's one thing to want to out yourself. It's another to want to dress up everywhere you go. Which one do you think you're particularly aiming for here?

FYI, I have dust mite allergies. Dust mites exist everywhere, always. So, I don't really need an excuse for watery or red eyes because I pretty much always have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri K View Post
    Sue, what brand of mascara are you using ?
    I wear mascara upper / lower with eye liner on top lids and have not had any questions at work ?
    But it takes some experimenting and lot's of practice..............
    Hi Lauri. I'm a pretty thrifty CDer so I use E.L.F. products. This particular one is a new product from that company. I've used it a for about a week and today was the first time my eye has watered. I did "slip" a little on both eyes and poke them a little so i'm thinking maybe that's what it is. Amazing that you wear that much and no one has said anything. I touch my brush to a lint free cloth to dab some off so I'm just applying the slightest bit but I can still see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone777 View Post
    It's one thing to want to out yourself. It's another to want to dress up everywhere you go. Which one do you think you're particularly aiming for here?
    Thanks for responding. In watching several of those videos of guys wearing makeup I guess I was thinking, "well i could dress up my eyes a little and if I keep my stubble i won't look so girly, especially if I use a very little bit." Maybe?

If you're just trying to get a thrill from being covert, I'd suggest sticking to underwear and other things that aren't readily visible. When you do something obvious, like applying makeup, people notice. Chances are high someone noticed your mascara, even if they couldn't quite put their finger on what was different. The fact they didn't say anything means they either didn't care, couldn't figure it out or you just haven't pushed them past their tolerance yet. Sooner or later, you're going to catch the eye of someone who isn't going to be happy with it. At that point, be prepared for the fallout. It could be a big thing or not much at all, depending on the people around you. That's not really the best position to put yourself in.

It sounds like you're doing this for fun, which is fine. You really have to be careful about getting carried away escalating these things. One day it's underwear, the next mascara, the next some light foundation and then you do that last little touch up that gets you completely busted. By that point, it wasn't just one person that noticed, it was nearly everyone and they just let it get to the point it was too obvious to ignore. Find the little thing that makes you happy, establish a routine to keep it hidden and be satisfied with that. Chances are, over time, people will figure it out even if you didn't wear anything. There's always subtle clues there, even without any clothes or makeup to tell them. There's always some sign that says, make up was here or this person has a habit that shows they normally wear skirts or some other thing. It's not hard evidence, so most people will readily ignore it but, on some level, even if they aren't conscious of it, they know.

Quote Originally Posted by aBoyNamedSue View Post
    Hi Lauri. I'm a pretty thrifty CDer so I use E.L.F. products. This particular one is a new product from that company. I've used it a for about a week and today was the first time my eye has watered
    Nothing wrong with being thrifty, but there are some things you just cannot cut corners on and for me eyeliner and mascara fall into that category. Some people can use the cheapest of cheap and have wonderful results and some of us can't do it to save our rears, I would recommend you upgrade to a Covergirl brand and if you like light application try the lash exact, it is very small bristled applicator. I use Rimmel and Kat Von D for eyeliner with no adverse reactions to allergies.

As for no one commenting on my daily makeup maybe it's because my whole life has been a slow transition to becoming myself, not sure, but my advice which is worthless to many, is to just be yourself..........others opinions do not matter at the end of the day. Work hard, do your job, earn your respect from peers and chart your own course

Alternatively you can tell them you have new gig as back up vocal artist for the new band in town called Rude Mood..............(In other words mind your own business)
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I agree with Lauri chart your own course and if you wish to wear it at work then by all means do it.
    I don't wear it every day but I do like wearing it.