Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad News from Argentina: Crossdresser murdered.

Unhappy Sad News from Argentina: Crossdresser murdered.

(admins please move this post freely where it suits better)

Once again, hatred and discrimination makes me feel ashamed of my own Country. Though I know the problem is a world wide issue, I cant help but to think society here, as in Latin America in general, seems to keep growing backwards...
    Yesterday a 32 year old peruvian cd was beaten to death as she was returning home after a night out en femme. No she wasnt robbed. No she was not raped nor harassed in any way (confirmed by official autopsy). it was pure classic old fashion hate crime. Hatred against a person expressing what he/she is. And it's not the first time neither it will be the last.
    I was just thinking about making a mid-lenght post about male chauvinism and coping with retrograde society in general, when this news hit me, and I cant help but asking myself (and the rest of you for that matter) the same old questions over and over again-
    How can we even think of coming out safely and accepting who we are, when theres so much hate and reject outside? are we doomed to dwell in our closets forever, at the risk of losing everything and everyone we love, even our own lives?
    How can one overcome such things and be brave, and keep doing what makes us happy, are we living an illusion of peace time, or, rather, in fact, still at war? is our society evolving towards freedom of expresion or otherwise, into some distopic opressive future?
    Its sad. so sad...

Could possibly be a hate crime yes. Did they question the people that did it?

They haven't found the man who did it (they suspect a man from a hidden security camera) it was in a poor neighborhood, in the outskirts of Buenos AIres, where there the law is corrupted, so they'll probably never catch him.

we have to go out in dangerous places in numbers to be safe, otherwise it's taxi or drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Banned Read only
    This is sick, if I could (or ever do) flow back to the blue side I'd be a Marvel super freak advocate...oh wait, I kinda am!

I am saddened everytime I here this kind of story. Rip Sister

I was emailing on FB with a genetic woman in Buenos Aires for about a year, then i quit FB for a month, and could not find her. I think she unfriended me, thinking i was gone for ever. This thing we do of dressing as women is unnatural to most all people, and some react in carnal, violent ways, but most leave us alone. it will never be accepted by all. We need to always be aware of those around us. Sorry to hear this.

I've been assured over and over on this forum that this kind of thing simply doesn't happen anymore, that all we have to fear is fear itself; as long as we 'own it', we'll be just fine. The world is perfectly safe. It says so here all the time.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    I hear it is really bad for us in South America and Caribbean. I've even heard stories of police shooting trans folk in the street.

I agree with Pamela, we need to come in numbers to let them know we are here and we are no harm to nobody

I am sorry about this, Nadine. Here in the U.S. we are averaging about 25 transgenders being murdered each year, but those are the ones we know about. There may be others that are never reported as crossdressers or transgenders due to bigoted police departments.

I understand that the problem is far worse in Brazil. I think in Brazil more than 300 trans folk are murdered each year; this is a shocking number.

This makes my heart sick; we are such sweet, vulnerable people, and we are treated so badly.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Part of a conversation I was having with my wife last night. A TG convo, indepth, which rarely happens these days, but they do come about here and there. Safety, women being protected... Women do have to worry about being assaulted, sexually attacked, and sometimes just also hurt badly and murdered. Now, the CDer most likely was murdered for the reason of being a CDer. Sadly, we have to have the same and probably more awareness about us when we are out as women do. Walking along at night is thrilling.... until.... And yes what sometimes miss says. There are a lot of bad places a CDer can end up, owning their transgenderism and having no fear.... and it will get real ugly no matter how well they own it and not fear it.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Banned Read only
    N R:

Clearly, that is very bad news. Presumably, she had family and friends who are only left to mourn. Some things just shouldn't happen, but they do.

DeeAnn

It is sad to read this on occasions, it is still too prevalent.

It is events like this that keep us wary and ever vigilant.

Stay safe always.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    I've been assured over and over on this forum that this kind of thing simply doesn't happen anymore, that all we have to fear is fear itself; as long as we 'own it', we'll be just fine. The world is perfectly safe. It says so here all the time.
    Yep, I have noticed that myself. I think anyone who reads advice on the Internet needs to take it with a grain of salt or perhaps the whole shaker. If you read something that doesn't seem right, it probably is not right.

I think some people who post advice have an agenda. In this case, by posting that everything is safe, they hope more crossdressers will go out in public and make it more "normal" so they can feel better about being a crossdresser themselves.

In any case, we are males inside even though we may dress as females. We are used to going places and doing things that most women have been trained all their lives not to do because it's unsafe. We might get ourselves all dolled up and walk down a dark street at night in a questionable part of town without thinking that we look like a female to others. A woman wouldn't typically do that.

Of course anyone, male, female or crossdresser should be able to go where he or she wants at any time of day and be perfectly safe. The reality is, this is not the case most anywhere in the world. We need to live with reality.

Maybe a hate crime. Maybe not. A hate crime is one that is motivated by a bias against a member of a protected group under hate crime law. If you don't know who did it, nor why, it's not a hate crime by default, just because the victim was a member of a protected group. It might have been random. Rush to judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    I will assume you are being facetious. In any case your post is rude and mean. No one on this board has ever said it is 100% safe or that things don't happen. Those who say it is safer to go out are in North America or Western Europe and they don't imply the whole world is safe.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Lorileah, I am sure to a degree Sometimess miss was being facetious. But, at the same time, there are too many members who give cavalier advice about how ok things are in the general public for us. It could be these people live in a bit of a bubble, a very open accepting area, and there are several notable ones in the U.S., but get outside of those bubbles, and things can get ugly in a hurry, depending on where exactly you are. I also agree too with a poster above, that some of the advice is driven by an agenda to get more out. Last year, I was in Manhattan, middle of the day, from MSG/Penn station up through Time Square and to Central park. Now, here, you will see pretty much everything given time, and not a whole lot of it. So, out of curiosity, I was looking for CDers, to see how many are out in NYC. Yes, I did see a few.... but A FEW. Granted, I am sure I probably missed a few, when scanning through 100 thousand or so, but I was looking, and I know the subtle signs of those who present very well. Maybe I saw a couple that were 100% passable too, but of a 100 thousand and probably more, I really could only see a few in a 3 or 4 hr time span.

Now. go farther south to the village, a whole different story there. a few dozen easily. The Village is very open to LGBT. It probably has more that reside within the letters than doesn't of people who live there. Uptown manhattan, not much is going to happen to you if you are dressed, so long as you stay on the main arteries and establishments. Further down, you will hardly even be a minority. But go north out of the city to farmville, and see what happens then... Strangely, upstate NY is not all that LGBT friendly, as is many of the other north east states, out of the main cities.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by gendermutt View Post
    Strangely, upstate NY is not all that LGBT friendly, as is many of the other north east states, out of the main cities.
    There are pockets. Ithaca is one, followed closely by Rochester. There may be others, but those are 2 that I'm familiar with.

DeeAnn

That are or are not LBGT friendly??

Banned Read only
    Sorry, thought everybody knew. Ithaca has a long history of being a very liberal and open town; sort of the Berekely of New York State. The LGBT community is entrenched and involved in many areas of civic life.

Civically speaking, Rochester has had a generally good reputation. The LGBT community has made considerable progress over the last 30 years or so. The local LGBT newspaper, The Empty Closet, is one is the longest running continuously published LGBT papers in the country. The Finger Lakes affiliate of Out & Equal is based there and has good support from city government and many area businesses.

However, to me the basic difference is that Rochester is a blue-collar town. Not saying that's a bad thing, but people tend to be more conservative. Ithaca has long been a college town. Just guessing, the total of Cornell plus Ithaca College may be around 50,000 students. That plus faculty can make for a strong influence.

DeeAnn

Whereas the Binghamton area is not real friendly. Also very blue collar. However Albany is quite LBTG friendly.

That's awful to hear, and from my experience in Latin America it so often tied to socio-economic status which is a double tragedy in my opinion.

Sad news indeed, and does not make it easier for those of us that want to get out more when things like this happens.
    As said it's not the first and it won't be the last either, I stumbled upon a site for remembrance to people that have been lost by anti-transgender violence as well http://tdor.info/.

But like Lorileah said; North America and Western Europe are probably the safest places to venture out, but I don't think anywhere on earth is by definition 'safe' and precaution should always be taken.
    I also dug up an old thread by Shelly on how to stay safe as best you can when out (though your safety can't be guaranteed and it doesn't help those who are already lost, but may help less being lost in the future) http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...helly-Preston).
    (Don't let the thread scare you off too much tho, but use it as a guidance. (Risks are taken every day en femme or not)).

Silver Member
    Krisi, I feel like you directed your comment straight at me. How can you actually believe someone would counsel to "own it and get out there" just to provide hate crime targets? That's pretty extreme.

I will say that I for one have been overstating my case for "owning it" by not qualifying it somewhat. There are a lot of places I wouldn't dream of going while dressed up. Or without some friends for support. I only choose places that are likely to be safe, and I was out of line not to emphasize that point. I guess complete freedom of expression is still too far away to not consider the potential for blowback, especially in the present social/political anger.