Thread: Moving is a drag

Guy wearing dresses

Moving is a drag

For the second time in three years I'm moving. When I moved from the house I'd lived in for over 20 years I did what I thought was a nice reduction of my "girly" stuff (I only dress on ooccasion). But now I spent two days going through all my stuff again. Partially, I've put on some weight but partially, I'm trying to be more realistic. Still my wife is fairly supportive but the bulk of everything is going into storage while the house is on the market.

My wife comments that even after culling my collection I still have more dresses than she does, including a few that aren't particularly practical (I have a cheerleader costume that she's borrowed on occasion, and two wedding dresses).

Banned Read only
    AGREED!! Moving is just pure work. We moved ~2500 miles 6 weeks ago. It is no longer a war zone. Currently it just looks like a minor natural disaster happened.

I packed essentially all of DeeAnn's stuff. As it was still quite cold in the East and upper Midwest when we left, I took all of my cosmetics with me in the car. I also took the jewelry with me. The clothes were hung in wardrobes and the undergarments and shoes were packed in boxes and sealed so the movers didn't have to mess with anything.

So yes, it IS a drag...

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 03-24-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Banned Read only
    DeeAnn,
    I have that vision very clearly ! I had to move my photography business and home at the same time , at that time there was no stash of clothes to consider but the description of war zone lasted longer because we were extending the new home to accommodate the business , we were grateful just to get to the stage of natural disaster !

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    ...including a few that aren't particularly practical (I have a cheerleader costume that she's borrowed on occasion..).
    I would consider anything that my wife borrows to be practical and ensure that it is readily available.

Banned Read only
    T:

It's a funny thing. Did you notice how inconsistent the visual progress is? Sometimes I have worked for half a day and it looked like I didn't accomplish anything. Other times 1 hours work was transformative. What I've had to do is just not allow myself to process what I see in those terms.

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Moving is a colossal hassle of course
    it's where you find out who your real friends are who will help you move.

"Animals are our friends. But they won't help us move"
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    Moving is a colossal hassle of course
    it's where you find out who your real friends are who will help you move.
    Isn't that the truth. Once my wife offered my services to one of her friends. She stayed home with the kids. The "moving party" consisted of "ME." I was there for the long haul. A couple showed up really late in the day..when the pizza showed up. The couple that was moving did nothing to prepare. Nothing boxed. The water bed was not drained. Of course, the water bed was on the upper floor. Total disaster. The hubby had the bright idea of moving the water bed with as much water as possible drained near the stairs to the first floor which lead to the outside. Are you envisioning this yet? Knead the bed to get the water flowing out the attached hose. Watch the water bed start to go down the steps and roll out the door. Thankfully nobody was in front of this mass of encased water tumbling down the stairs. The headlines would have said,"Man killed by water bed!"

Then, when I got home my wife asked "Where were you all day? What took you so long?"

"Don't ever offer my 'free' services to any of your friends!!!!"

Moving can be a bitch!

I can still remember our move more than 20years ago. Only married 18months but lots of stuff. Hired an enclosed truck the first load was just automotive gear tools and a couple of bikes. 2 loads for furniture and household goods followed by 5 cars. Only help was my SO. I am a very good organizer and packer so my wife has on too many occasions generously offered my help to others and I think that I have seen the range of all types from the totally under prepared to the almost perfect though too few off the latter. Most of which for no reward and even more annoying little thanks. Anyone undertaking to move others my advice would be to be labor only and not to book transport or storage due to you then having to be responsible for the costs that sadly are not always re embursed. It is sometimes hard to say No. Back then my srash would have fitted into one large shoe box. Some things have changed. To move now would be unthinkable as the auto collection has grown some what and the family has increased from two and so has the baggage of life and living.