Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do "The clothes make the woman"?

Banned Read only

Do "The clothes make the woman"?

I'm dressed pretty much full on right now but thinking I'd still feel like a chic if I were wearing nothing (ok, maybe a frozen chic, like a frozen chicken dinner).

I love my skinny jeans, girly boots, and nail polish though cuz that's what I can see and it reminds me that I'm a girl! Makeup? I can't see that unless I look in a mirror (not to often when I'm out)...

Anyone else feel that the clothes make the woman?

No, your brain makes the woman. We exist in what our brains tell us. It gets its data from senses and from memory. Like you can't see the makeup unless you look in mirror, but you might feel eyelashes heavier with mascara, your lips feel slicker with lipstick, noises and tugging from earrings, seeing the nail polish, the feel of skinny jeans, the clop of heels or squeeze of boots, smell of perfume, constriction from bra, etc. Your memory of what you are wearing and where you are and consequences also feed your brain. Your memory of what society normally allows and how you are not conforming to that feeds in.
    That is what makes you feel feminine - a woman, if you chose that label.
    Unless we don't exist at all and are just someone else's dream ...
    Existentially yours,
    Ellen

I've gotta admit I don't feel so girly with out my girl accouterments. Not necessarily make up, but leggings, heels, dresses, or even skinny jeans (I'm not that skinny) and a girly top. When I'm wearing nothing I don't feel so much like a 'chic.'

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm girly all the time no matter what I wear.
    Rarely wear guy clothes so maybe that has something to do with it.

I would say for me that the feel of the clothes and all the accessories under the dress makes me feel more like a woman. I just dress from time to time and almost always dress in where I can see myself in the mirror. As I get closer to bed night fully dressed I start to enjoy the sensations that the complete outfits bring.
    I believe ClosetED also has a point it's definitely all the feelings of the makeup and the clothing underneath even to hearing a swish of my panty hose sometimes and definitely click of my heels.
    When I do my nails it makes me feel more femme and I guess that's a visual feeling. Seems all of this together makes me feel a little like a woman or just makes me wish I could be one for a while.

As always, it's in the eye of the beholder. Most men don't care what a woman's wearing, as we imagine them naked anyway; so Walmart outfits or Sach's fashion clothes aren't all that important as we want them to come off anyway. From a crossdressers' perspective, it's a little different. We appreciate the subtle differences that clothes can accentuate her curves, figure. The difference between Fredericks of Hollywood and Venus catalog items from, say, Lands end make it obvious which is designed to enhance sexual attraction, and which is more modest. For me, wearing things that look like appropriate attire for what I feel like I am supposed to be, makes a huge difference.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I like to be completely made up for that 100% feeling, but I can make do with dressing down i.e. no makeup or wig, but that for me is only in the short term.

Becky
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

im with you robin... luv my skinny jeans, boots and nails done also.
    but i also like a little eye shadow and lipstick just in case i walk by
    a mirror... don't want to lose my lunch!!
    Last edited by paulaprimo; 03-28-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    paula

Banned Read only
    LOL Paula, makeup does help keep in place for me too when I do come face to face with myself 😉

For me clothes DO make the woman. I don't feel very girly in drab mode.

You know the saying "she looks like a 3 dressed up as a 9.

Banned Read only
    Thanks Maria, I'm not gonna get THAT tune outta my head for months now LOL 😂

Seriuosly though, next to "Man, I feel a woman" that's probably the next one on the play list when I go out...sooo gotta change that play list! 😩

No I don't think so just like clothes do not make the man it is what is inside us I believe that defines us ,that being said i have seen some fantastic women that fashion wise were totally opposite of their true person
    hugs phylis anne

Aspiring Member
    What's weird over here is there are times I actually feel more femme with males clothes on than girls. It's like I am in this middle twilight zone. Hyper aware of my masculine side whilst dressed en femme and hyper aware of my feminity when presenting male. This doesn't happen all the time but it does happen.

Banned Read only
    That's true Phylis, the clothes don't make the person...I think the person makes the clothes (ok, don't take that literally, it's meant as a metaphor, damn social media, you can't see my freaking body language 'n stuff right now, I'm trying to be philosophical here 😡 )

Banned Read only
    Robin,
    I'm not kidding anyone that I'm a spring chicken, maybe more a game old bird !
    I don't do jeans or trousers so the legs always show which I much prefer .
    As to your question the clothes bring mind and body together, if part of your mind feels it's a woman the outward appearance satisfies an inner need, that's how I see it. I can feel that without makeup or a wig but doing the whole thing is still something special , nothing really compares with it.

My opinion the clothes do not make the woman, as we all started with putting the clothes on first

For me it is the action that counts. The posting by sometime-miss really holds true for me too. When I’m out en femme I am in a different world from the everyday routine. It is downright exhilarating to feel the feminine effect that really feminine attire gives me. It feels just completely right and natural somehow.
    It does not surprise me that those who wear just slightly feminine attire or the modern pseudo feminine attire don’t get any feminine effect from them. Those who wear clothes to express their feminine side but opt for just a few items or not all that feminine type attire might well be not expressing their feminine side and wind up discouraged or disappointed.
    Crossdressing means just that, getting into real female attire all they way.

Silver Member
    So many different feelings. Today I feel i'm me and wearing fem cloths are what I should be wearing. On the other end of age, in my youth getting fully dressed and out gave me the feeling of being a girl. As I think back some of my movements were the equal of most any girl. On the other hand today my movements are that of an old lady. LOL

Well I enjoy clothing and it operates in varying levels, Since joining here I wear something everyday, even if its just panties. Im happier than ever. I clean up after work. I went out after getting home tonight to check on a friend, Gap jeans, black suede puma with very large white cat logo, my new to me Guess leather jacket. I went by a friends shop after finding who I was looking for had went home allready, No 1 said anything ya Im in androgynous mode, but Im dressed nice, I feel nice and it shows in my attitude too. I hid for years working all the time on cars wearing drab dirty clothes, No More! My toenails are painted, legs are in need of a shave again but hey, Im out and about and Im happy. I am setting goals for myself and hopefully improving as a person. I hope soon to actually meet some like minded people in person and make some new friends, so Yes I do think clothes are helping me.
    Mykaa is me! Discovering Peace throughout from the Girl within.
    David Bowie "Don't stay in a sad place Where they don't care how you are..."
    Disturbed The Light "The truth is waiting there for you to find it
    It's not a blight, but a remedy"

Junior Member Misty Rae Pleasure's Avatar
    I do admit full on dress complete with hair and makeup is the ultimate, although sometimes a little can go a long way.

Lady Pleasure

Silver Member
    Robin - Good for you. I am glad you always feel good about who you are, dressed or not dressed. I can only say that I still feel like a guy, even when fully dressed, but I do enjoy the special feelings I have when dressed.

No. It also takes a wig, makeup, nails, jewellery, perfume, and accessories.

Platinum Member
    i am inside in my heart and mind Wendy..... Wendy is not a cd she is trans ...... i got real boobs lol 38 c ... long blonde sliver hair .... that said clouthes yes got to have them love pretty undies ... love everything fem .... i am who i am no matter how i dress .... but i feel out of place in drab......give me something girly and 4 inch heels and i can rock it .... yar the make the whole thing ..... in drab i am crossdressing Wendy....

in a word, "no". In a few more words, "they make a woman feel more womanly", "they make a woman in a male body feel more like their true self"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er