Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: If it was viewed as totally normal, would you still dress?

Yes but I would still keep it privet that just me

I think the point is being missed. If wearing the clothes of the opposite sex wasn't taboo, how many would have started crossdressing in the first place? I'd wager very few. I mean I probably wouldn't have, for a start. Being raised, we'd not have had the gender demarcation of what we should or shouldn't wear. Trying the forbidden fruit of hosiery/lingerie (other crossdressing triggers are available) of some sort wouldn't have had the cache of naughtiness it does

Quote Originally Posted by StacyCD View Post
    Absolutely! For me it is not about being taboo, it's simply what I like to wear.
    My thoughts exactly.

This article is interesting. I didn't know about this new gender equality fashion trends. I just hope that fashion industry will push with campaigns like this public opinion far enough that will not be a problem if you would want to wear clothes designed for opposite gender. I would love to live like a man and combine female and male clothes and makeup.

Runway revolution: Can we tie unisex fashion trends to gender equality?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/14/fa...nder-equality/

Platinum Member
    Hi Stacey, Are you trying to take all the fun out of this program ??
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    If it was the norm, I would surely be a part of that norm to have, effectively, two lives since my gendered selves are two very different people. It would be fantastic to be able to switch back and forth, moving from one existence to the other. It would be just perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Contrary to the vast majority who claim they would still "cross" dress or do so more often, I call bull.

If cross dressing were as accepted for men as wearing male clothes, a cross dresser would find something else to emulate the opposite sex. For most it is not about the taboo of cross dressing. One may find the clothes prettier, mor comfortable, whatever, but that's just a wrapping. If only women could wear burlap sacks, a cross dresser would wear burlap sacks!
    I disagree. Many crossdressers do not dress like everyday women, they dress like extreme representations of femininity. Consider: many of this forum have an adversion to women's jeans and slacks. Lots of GGs love capri pants, I can't stand them! If every girl started wearing a burlap slack, you would see posts about, "Why do GGs insist on wearing such ugly clothes when they can dress in much more pretty things?"

To answer the OP, for me, it's complicated. I would like to say that I would dress to the nines every day, but I know that's not true. I'm a person that likes to dress for comfort, and I know how those oh-so-cute stilettos can hurt after a few hours. I like the way a wig frames my face, but after a while it starts to hurt, and all the hair in my face can get annoying. And I can't imagine wearing padding and body-cinchers all day. Putting on a full face of makeup every morning and having to check it throughout the day? Wow, that doesn't sound appealing. If I'm being honest, in this hypothetical utopia, my standard outfit would probably be a skirt or dress with tights unless it was very warm. I'd wear ballet flats or low thick heeled boots, depending on the weather. No wig, no padding, no earrings. Maybe a little lipstick. On special occasions, I'd dress all the way en femme. And if I was going hiking or mowing the lawn, I'd probably dress in regular boy clothes. This might be because I see myself as bigendered. If socially acceptable, I'd regularly blend my two sides, with the occasional foray into either extreme.

The premise of the OP seems to be that we crossdress because it's taboo. When this internal drive compelled us to put IT on (whatever IT was), we did it in spite of the taboo. Somehow we knew to do it behind a locked door. Take away the taboo and that drive goes away? I don't think so. I call bull.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    But I do have special powers. The power of objectivity.
    Powers of objectivity...HORSE HOCKEY! No one is truely objective, we all filter everything through our own particular bias. Just reading all of the comments shows me that we all have different reasons for dressing. While some of us have great similarities, there are still too many differences to say that we are the same. If you want to make generalizations, I have no problem with this, but please call it what it is and don't imply that it is anything other than an a general observation.

It is other people and their bias that prevents me from dressing as I wish outside the home. So call me a coward, but if that is true, then many of us would probably be painted with the same brush. Some of us have more at stake than others do, and the consequences can be greater for some than for others.

To get back on track. If I could go out as I pleased, it would be in a skirt, hoses, and a good pair of comfortable shoes. What I wear under my shirt would be open to speculation, but anyone who knows me would know that it is lingerie as per usual. Yes, I too love nylon lingerie next to my skin. Underdressing wouldn't change, just some of the outer trappings, like the skirt and hose.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

My wife came across an ad about pantyhose for men, and asked me if I wanted a pair and that I can wear them anytime because I could tell everyone there for men. I told her there would be no fun in that, sweet is not sweet without sour. That would make it normal, no thanks I will stick with my Silks Essential brand and wear them under and enjoy that there made for women.

Maria - Does that not just sum up how mad the whole thing is? If a dress were marketed as a "man-dress" (cf David Beckham in a sarong a few years ago) - would that be ok too? If so, why? They are just CLOTHES - that is, cleverly put together strands of woven fibre. But what we are expressing is something far more fundamental.

it isnt dressing that society has a problem with; its non-stereotypical behaviour (bring me the flaming pitchfork of my righteous indignation). The clothes are just the most obvious proxy for that.

Is this a new idea?! I rather doubt it.
    Julia
    Last edited by Julia1984; 04-03-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    Not all of us grow up to be the man we once thought we might become.

My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But Ah, my friends, and Oh my foes, It gives a lovely light.

Quote Originally Posted by DebsUK View Post
    I think the point is being missed. If wearing the clothes of the opposite sex wasn't taboo, how many would have started crossdressing in the first place? I'd wager very few. I mean I probably wouldn't have, for a start. Being raised, we'd not have had the gender demarcation of what we should or shouldn't wear. Trying the forbidden fruit of hosiery/lingerie (other crossdressing triggers are available) of some sort wouldn't have had the cache of naughtiness it does
    Personally, I disagree. I crossdress to feel / look like a woman. That's important to no one but myself. I crossdress despite it being taboo. Not because of it.

Maybe the taboo thing is rather like the "gateway drug". Your first hit is for free. After that, you're hooked for life.
    Not all of us grow up to be the man we once thought we might become.

My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But Ah, my friends, and Oh my foes, It gives a lovely light.

I would love it

Yes, absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
    I disagree. Many crossdressers do not dress like everyday women, they dress like extreme representations of femininity. Consider: many of this forum have an adversion to women's jeans and slacks. Lots of GGs love capri pants, I can't stand them! If every girl started wearing a burlap slack, you would see posts about, "Why do GGs insist on wearing such ugly clothes when they can dress in much more pretty things?"
    so when i read this i reread the thread, i dont like Capri pants either, but women wear them all summer, open toe shoes, not my thing, wedges dont look good to me.....it reminded me of the grunge era for women, it robbed me of my girl watching thrill, all the ladies were wearing theyre boyfriends flannel shirts and baggy clothes.... then all of a sudden Britney spears did a Pepsi commercial for the super bowl in heels and it was cool to be girly again, by looking at the older posts from here i dont think many embraced that grunge era.....but they did thank Britney as did i
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    A burqa is worn by millions of women around the world as part of their religious beliefs and customs. It is probably not a good example to use in a crossdressing discussion, describe as un-feminine and un-pretty and suggest it is naturally used by crossdressers.
    i have not seen anyone on this forum post in this type of garb, i have however seen one in a hijab, in daily life i have seen some with only the eyes exposed as like the burqa style, some with traditional coverage face open and with the whole person covered and some with more trendy fashionista style and elegance, hijab nice makeup skirt and heels, at one time i thought to try this as a way to avoid the need for a wig but did not follow through....
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieSD View Post
    If we are asked that question now, of course almost all of us will say "yes". That is because the "yes" answer is based on the society imposed of male/female dress code since we were born. Now imagine if there is a society that the dress code is all permissive, then there is no difference or drive to wear that "female" cloth, because there is no "female" cloth to talk about.
    the OP gave a pass for the male/female dress code, for me i was attracted to these clothes before any wearing had actually occurred, but i was drawn to them, it wasnt that it was ""female" cloth", were all at different levels and to make such strong generalizations to include all is not the best action, are some more objective or subjective.....perhaps....but making decisions for others.....isnt that judgmental.
    Last edited by mykell; 04-04-2016 at 06:37 AM.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

The short answer, is yes, I would still dress.

In this hypothetical- we are to assume that while it may be "normal" gender differences will still be normal also, and it will still be marketed as male and female. It's just no big deal now for men to wear women's clothes, right???

Fashions change over time. Colonial formal wear by today's standards would be considered feminine, very feminine in fact. Hair has been long, short, long again..... now it is normal for guys to wear long hair, and for it to not be considered to be feminine or weird or whatever.

Jenniferathome does make what I believe is a good assumption about CDers dressing in whatever is considered to be women's wear, because it is for women. In time, we could do a complete reversal of fashion and appearance, and the future crossdresser will be wearing short hair and baggy jeans and a t-shirt, no make up and work boots. If that is what feminine becomes, that is where the CDer will go. It is expressing femininity however it is deemed to be at the time.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I was going to ask a question similar to this. As my wife has accepted me wearing some clothes, I don't get the same enjoyment from wearing a skirt around the house.

I think so. I just think it's more functional and healthier for a man to wear a skirt. Hose can be supportive and functional for all genders. Makeup can enhance anyone's look and increase confidence. History tells us that men were allowed to be peacocks and that was normal. So yes!

I've read of what's said and if it wasn't taboo I would always dress en femme, the problem is the taboo bit, I sometimes feel it's wrong but here I am sitting in a pair of leggings and heels it feels right for me.

Yes of course, It's not the fact that it is taboo to crossdress that I dress up as a woman, it's because I need to, I want to, and I enjoy cross dressing, it would just make it easier

Jennie
    Jennie x

Yes I would still dress as a woman. Maybe even more frequently than I do now.

Certain clothes feel comfortable whether it's flannel shirt or denim jeans and certain female attire feel comfortable for me, bra/breastforms, heels, pencil skirt and sheath dress so yes, I would dress in what I find comfortable or what makes me feel "like a million bucks".
    Tina

After reading the above thoughts I've concluded that for me I would still have the overpowering urge to wear famine stuff. But even though I wish it to be something I could do whenever I want to basis, ideally it would only worth it to me if women didn't change anything. I like looking at beautiful women, how they prance around, how they smell, the true power of feminism. And when going to dinner or a show with my wife I'd still prefer to dress in coat and tie. But in the long run I crossdress because I like the way I/it feels. I would love to be able to do that when and wherever I want. When I was early 20's my then girlfriend and her sister loved dressing and us going different places. And yes most of the time I got some strange looks, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. But unfortunately that was 40 years ago and now I've been married to my wife that does not tolerate crossdressing at all for 36 years now so I have to sneak around. And yes I very much miss the times it was no problem. A woman remaining a woman would be my only stipulation.

OH yes, my shaven, smooth nylon encased legs, lovely skirts along with the most "wicked" heels!

Love to have long hair to toy with too.

yes i would because its who i belive i should be