Thread: Foot Problem

Reality Check

Foot Problem

I had an ongoing pain in one foot so I went to the foot doctor. He diagnosed the problem, gave me some medication and a pair of special modified inserts to wear in my shoes for a while.

OK, fine, but they fit my sneakers, not my flats or heels. I feel a bit silly walking around in a dress or skirt and sneakers!

It's going to be tights or jeans for a while.

Banned Read only
    Well, since there are no crutches or hospital stays involved, I'd say that you are ahead of the game...

DeeAnn

I have a friend who I've known for... I don't know about 30 years or so. We both used to work downtown amongst the skyscrapers, power suits and busy streets. One day we were having lunch together and he bursts out, "OH MY GAWWWD!! There goes another one... and another. Gah!"

I looked around to figure out what the heck he was going on about but all I saw was the traffic and office commandos spilling out onto the sidewalks to grab their lunch. He replies, "man, those women... those women with their athletic shoes and their skirts! I know this is going to sound crazy but there is just something about that look that does it for me. Man that's hot!"

*blink blink blink*
    Well, there you go. Who knew sneakers and skirts are a hot look to some people.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

Platinum Member
    In my fair little city it was not uncommon to see women wearing skirts or dresses and athletic shoes. The hillside was fairly steep from the lower to the higher streets. If a woman was to wear heels they would destroy the shoes by walking on steep concrete sidewalks or twist their ankles. I would see them in the morning commute carrying their office heels in a tote and wearing their athletic shoes. Maybe the look would be "hot."

I've often recommended on this forum that one may want to wear women's athletic shoes with some colorful laces, and, carry a pair of heels in a tote just like the women I saw. It would look as if she were coming home after a day at the office. And, the athletic shoes will take a lot more abuse from concrete sidewalks than heels. And, your feet will not get beat to death too.

I have a couple sets of custome orthotic insoles and I made up smaller versions that provide the same pressure points for my heels and a set for my hockey skates. Truth is I can go without them for quite a spell before the pain come back.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Yes, the tennis shoes with skirts or dresses is a real and many times great style touch. I would recommend using the Keds or Converse low side sneakers style (not the hi-tops) in either white or black. Yes, most of the women I see wearing them that way tend to be a bit younger, but not always. Worth the effort if you need to get out en femme while you recuperate. I would also ask around to see if you can find them in sizes to fit some women's shoes.

Silver Member
    Krisi - Sorry for your problem. I developed a foot problem (plantar fac) from too much running. Suffered cortisone and inserts until I saw a foot surgeon who correct problem with a minor scope procedure. Worked for me. But you can get inserts for almost any shoe. Good luck and I hope you heal fast.

Banned Read only
    Krisi,
    As you don't say what you foot problem is, it's difficult to know why you can't wear heels with suitable inserts in.

I've had arthritic joints in my big toes for twenty years, it is getting worse but it's not stopping me wearing heels, OK my toes let me know they're not happy the next day but in my case steel capped boots hurt as much after a few hours, I know which I prefer to wear !

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Do what you have to do Krisi.

Krisi,
    As a Doc who with over 30 years of foot and ankle work, I always had some sympathy for my patients that I had to tell to avoid high heels for awhile. Because the foot is in a different position in a high heel vs. an athletic shoe and the fact that high heels and pumps are not very deep to accommodate an orthotic without the foot coming out of the shoe or holding the foot on the orthotic so it can work, sometimes you just got to put the high heels and pumps on a shelf for awhile and dream. I often tried to modify an insert to fit in high heels by thinning them, but was never really all that happy about how they worked. A lot depends on what the problem is as to what can be done. With neuromas, there are things that can be done in high heels and pumps (but full inserts actually add more volume around the toes with neuromas which might aggrivate the problem) and it is not unusual that plantar fasciitis might feel a little better with a little heel elevation (definitely not 4" though) where a lower heeled high heel might be OK. But depending on what the problem is (of which there can be many, some with shoe solutions and some without shoe solutions) you might just need to look at your shoes for awhile and yearn. just get them down and dust them every so often.
    Dr. J.

Reality Check
    Thanks. Not being a doctor or nurse, the name of my condition went in one ear and out the other. It's some sort of growth under the joint of the toe next to the big toe. It's supposed to go away on it's own in time. Meanwhile, the nurse cut a hole in the insert and put padding around it to take the pressure off the joint. I also got some anti inflammatory pills. I have a trip coming up soon that will involve a lot of walking and I want to be ready for it.

My women's shoes don't have room for full inserts. I noticed that even before this issue.

Not a problem. Thats why in my practice for everything I started to give out visit summaries in a written form (also good medicolegally). It still could be a capsulitis, bursitis, fibroma, tendonitis, neuroma, etc., all of which tend to be aggrivated by increasing the heel height which then puts more pressure on the head of the bone at the toe joint. Alas. Remember for the anti-inflammatory it needs to be taken regularly for at least a week or two if you want it to work as an anti-inflammatory. And take it with something else in your stomach. On the other hand......If you hold your foot up to the computer screen, I'd be happy to take a look.....only joking. Thats what I tell people when they call me for advise.
    nonetheless, here's hoping that you can get back into the shoes that make you happy.
    PS. Sometimes telling girls that they need to avoid certain shoes at least for awhile caused more pain than the problem itself or an injection. So you are not alone!!!!!
    Dr. J.

Silver Member
    Dr J - Thanks for the excellent advice. It must be like telling a kid there is no Santa Claus when you tell a patient they can't wear high heels.

Aspiring Member
    I have feet problems also, but mine are due to being a diabetic. Since I have no feelings in my feet, and another condition which eventually will have to have surgery, she suggested dress sandals or Slingbacks with no more then a 3" heel.it has worked out much better for me.

Heather,
    Worse.....because at least even if there is no Santa Claus they still get presents!
    Dr. J

Banned Read only
    What's the matter with Ballet Slippers are women Moccasins?

Reality Check
    Dr. J, Yes, instructions for the medication are on the bottle. The pain is going away but I'm not ready to go back to my women's shoes yet. I don't often wear heels, mostly flats but the inserts won't fit the flats.

I did consider using a hole saw to cut a hole in the sole of the flats to relieve the pressure but that would be a problem when it rained. (No, I didn't really consider that. It's a joke.)

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    A CD friend of mine likes to wear either athletic shoes or some women's terribly unflattering, black platform shoes with no heel. Because she's short, I guess? They look like Goth shoes.
    When she asks me how she looks, I have to bite my tongue about her shoes.

Her athletics actually look better. But, I can't say that after asking why she didn't wear more fem shoes with her outfits a while back?

Flats and athletic shoes look pretty much the same to me!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Reality Check
    A couple weeks ago I had my male clothes on but no shoes and I needed to take the puppy out into the fenced back yard. Since my flats were nearby, I just slipped them on and went out the back door. I was amazed at the difference, just looking down at them compared to sneakers. They looked pretty feminine to me.

In my part of the country, women seem to wear sneakers or sandals with flats coming in third. Heels are pretty rare. Keep in mind though, I don't go to places where women might dress up like clubs or bars.

you know , much as I hate to say it, I've always liked the look of women wearing sneakers with skirts....the office woman on her way to the office where she will, no doubt change into some work appropriate shoes. I think it's kinda cute. Just sayin'

Krisi,
    I know you mentioned that they put a hole in your inserts but another way to skin the cat is to add a pad just behind the area of discomfort which switches pressure slightly more toward the arch region which also relieves pressure from the tender area. Since inserts don't fit very well inside flats, sometimes this pad which takes up less space may work. If the problem is a neuroma or nerve impingement, however, the pad would add more volume which squeezes the forefoot together which may make the problem worse.
    Also unfortunately with this short of time, more likely it is the analgesic effect of the anti-inflammatory that is making you feel better. Eventually the pain usually goes away but it takes a bit of time. So make sure they figure out why the problem was there in the first place or it will tend to come back again with time.
    Dr. J

Reality Check
    They made a hole and also added pads around it.

Aspiring Member
    A few years ago, I experienced severe pain in my right heel, which my podiatrist diagnosed as tendonitis. He gave me a series of shots (cortisone, I believe) over a period of about 6 weeks, and bound my foot several times. He also repeatedly gave me instructions on how to avoid future attacks, such as using cruise control when driving as much as possible, and never going barefoot around the house. What gave me a chuckle, was when he told me to find shoes with a heel, such as cowboy boots, to wear until the pain subsided. That was when my lady's footwear came in very handy, at least around the house. A pair of black pumps with about a 3 inch broad heel eased the pain considerably.

I have diabetes now, and experience a lot of numbness and sometimes pain in both feet. I can no longer balance in any shoes with a stiletto heel, so crossdressing has become somewhat more limited than I would like, as I always preferred the "dressy" look. Otherwise, why bother, has usually been my attitude.

Veronica

Teresa, You 've got that right, about steel toed boots, ans shoes. They hurt my toes just as much as pointy high heels!

I wear athletic shoes and girls socks all the time. They come in just about any color you can think of and can look very sexy with a short dress or skirt. Not to mention the comfort issue.