Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After coming out, three years later

Banned Read only

After coming out, three years later

Three years ago, on April 7, 2013, I wrote this:
    "I sat down with my wife this afternoon, and told her I was transgender."

"So I told her:
    Honey, there's no good way to say this, so I'm just going to say it. I have realized in the course of therapy, and in talking to people on an internet forum, that I am transgender.

There is a part of me, in my mind, that feels female - maybe a big part. I don't understand all this yet, but I know that fighting this is a big source of my anxiety."

I tried to interpret her response at the time as being somewhat positive. But the truth is, that April afternoon, my marriage ended for all intents and purposes, and 4 months later, we'd be separated, living in different states. And I definitely didn't know that 16 months later still, we'd be divorced.

I really loved her. I still do, and I grieve the loss of our relationship to this day. I've also felt an enormous burden of guilt for how things turned out between us.

I've moved on though. I'm a completely different person - a woman now. I've had several relationships since we separated. I'm engaged to a great guy now. My job is more or less unchanged, as is my taste in music. Virtually everything else about me is different now. My face, my voice, my body, my personality, my activities - I'm an activist in the trans community now. I help others - lots of others. Something I *never* did before. I am a happy woman now. Oh sure, I still have problems and worries, and I'm not bubbly every minute - but I enjoy my life now in a way I had never imagined possible.

My poor ex-wife, unfortunately, is a different story. Oh, she's had some relationships - that's fine really, I wish her happiness. But unfortunately, happiness doesn't appear to be in the cards for her. My settlement with her in the divorce was generous beyond what the law could've compelled me to give her. I took on our debts. I took responsibility for the home we'd purchased that we knew could only be sold at a loss. She got the home we purchased in Oklahoma, a place she loved. She also got 40% of my salary for a period of time. During this process I bought some new furniture for her, I paid for some plastic surgery for her (she got that before I did, ironically), I paid for her to get career training. I wanted her to succeed. Quite literally I could do nothing more, and still pay my own bills and fund my transition. As it was, the financial burden has substantially slowed my transition. There are probably some things I'll never be able to do now.

Despite those things, despite disassembling and selling my observatory - a possession I'd dreamed of owning my entire life - and giving her the proceeds from selling it, she has only become angrier with me over time. She tells me she still grieves her loss, and looks for signs of the person I used to be during the rare moments we communicate. I don't think she finds many such signs.

I really do want her friendship - or maybe an acknowledgement from her that she's OK, and that I turned out to be OK. That she may not be happy with out things happened between us in the end, but that she can at least appreciate that I tried to make it right, and that, like her, I give my time freely to worthy causes. Or, heck, at this point, I'd just be happy hearing that she no longer considers me to be evil incarnate. I already know, though, that I'm going to get none of those things. I expect she'll continue to grow increasingly bitter over time, as she's done over the past three years. I hope not, for her sake, because living with those kinds of feelings is horrible. There's not going to be a happy ending to this part of the story.

And that brings me to why I'm writing this. If there were no other business between us, except for the payment I make to her each month, I wouldn't think about her so much. But alas, after fighting me tooth and nail during the divorce for the house, rather than selling it, and not settling for any amount less from me than what it would take for her to stay in the place, she's decided to abandon it. The market is slow, and she despairs selling it. She's losing her job, and she wants to move back to Dallas, where there are better opportunities, and where she has some family.

She's asked me to allow the mortgage company to foreclose on the house, and for me to continue to pay her alimony. Unfortunately, it's not so easy for me to do that. I'm still listed on the note for the house, and the mortgage company will, almost certainly, come after me to cover the mortgage. I can't allow them to foreclose - the legal actions they'd likely take against me would be devastating. (I've checked with three attorneys to be sure about this.) Actually, they'll be terrible for her too, but when I pointed that out to her, she told me "I don't care." I also can't pay her alimony AND cover the mortgage. Those things, plus some of the other debt I took on, would consume more than 100% of my salary - it simply cannot happen.

I've consulted attorneys. I have some ideas on ways to avoid a worst case scenario, but all of them require her cooperation. Without that, I'll have to take actions that will still be quite costly for me, but will avoid foreclosure. For her, it is conceivable that she could find herself, three years from now, with absolutely NOTHING to show for all of this, despite my shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars by the time it's all done. That's always been my fear in dealing with her - that in her rage and grief, she'd force me to take an action that pits her self-preservation against mine.

I think perhaps that is what she's wanted all along, to be the victim, to have been cast aside (she already blames me for leaving, despite her telling me to go!), to have been financially cheated by a deceptive spouse. (Please believe me, if I'd wanted to give her the shaft in the divorce, there were far, far cheaper ways I could've done it!) Maybe it isn't what she's wanted, and she's simply reacting to her grief in ways that are self-destructive.

Either way, I'm going to offer her some less horrible for both of us options, and then I fully expect she'll reject them. She rejects every offer I make unless it's unreasonable in her favor. And then I'm going to do things for self preservation that will likely mean that she ends up with very little, or possibly even none, of the money I'll have paid her. No house, no cash, nothing. I've talked with three different attorneys. All of them have outlined more or less the same plan if she doesn't cooperate. And it is a bad plan for her.

I fully expect to lose my kids once and for all over this. They've already started pulling away again because of it. There isn't much I can do about that. They will listen to her side of things, but they won't hear mine.

It is breaking my heart that it is coming down to this. I am going to have to offer this woman some really awful choices. My hope is she'll pick the least awful, and actually walk away from all this with some money in the end. But my fear is that she won't take those offers, and I'll have to protect myself. And that is going to happen at her expense, there is really no way to avoid that without her cooperation.

I already know I am going to feel terrible about this. I also know it isn't my fault. Despite that, I am going to hate this.

Banned Read only
    Paula,
    May I ask the question if you hadn't had the transgendered problem, ( OK use the word normal male !) would you have remained happily married ?

The reasonI ask is without my CDing my marriage may have failed through me having an affair or affairs , my wife knows and accepts this.

Going back to your thread, I feel your wife is on self destruct, in some respects she is lucky you can keep drawing on your resources , I do wonder how different she would have been if she knew that cushion wasn't there , would she have attempted to be more independent ?

You both know you can't walk away from this situation because of the unresolved issues, maybe it's crazy but living under the same roof again would solve much of that.

The other problem is you can deal with this if your health can stand it, she's going to lose big time if you have a total melt down.

It is very sad when a person is born and wired in a certain way they pay for it by being made a scapegoat, in your wife's eye's you are always going to be the guilty party. I'm sure if my wife and I were in this situation she would draw strength from knowing I'd given her some lovely children and now grandchildren, her life does now revolve round them anyway, I'm sidelined because of my CDing, the hardest thing I'm living with at the moment is the double life.

Does you wife have the same relationship with her children to balance her life and take the punishment off you?

Paula, you are a good person and don't deserve this level of torture , she has to let your life move on .
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-09-2016 at 03:59 AM.

I have heard stories like this before and it is heartbreaking. You tried doing the right thing being honest and it turned around and not only bit you in the ass but put a knife in you as well. There are losers here, no winners!!!!!! It's to bad that one party will not, can not or simply refuses to compromise. You do what you think is the best all around solution to this problem and then "walk away".

BTW, congrats your your (ongoing) transition.

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Thank you for sharing that with us Paula.

Sometimes despite our best efforts things don't always work out the way we hoped.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Platinum Member
    Hi Paula , I have followed your stories all along and it just seams like
    there's never going to be a happy ending no matter how hard you try. -......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Reality Check
    You should do what's best for yourself and not worry about your ex wife. She is not worried about you.

You have been considerate and generous--in fact, you continue to be considerate and generous. The previous commenter is right: you ex-wife is not worried about you, and you need to take care of yourself. Find the way that is least harmful to you, and that offers her something less than a worst-case outcome. If she won't accept that, you need to do what's right for you, regardless of what happens to her. You are a good person.
    Last edited by Lori Kurtz; 04-09-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add missing word

I feel your pain in a lot of respects, though not to your degree. Just like the emergency oxygen masks deploying on an airliner, you should first take care of yourself before attempting to help those around you. No matter how this plays out you're going to have guilt and second thoughts. You don't have to play for the biggest personal win, but you can't allow yourself to go down from feelings of guilt. My heart goes out to you.

Thank you for sharing your story, Paula. It sounds like you've done everything humanly possible for her -- and more. It seems clear that she cannot get to the friendship you want with her right now. Indeed, this may be heading in the direction of a "clean break" over these financial difficulties. That break might not be all that bad for her. It could allow her to stop wasting her energy blaming you and focus on getting her feet under her to move forward.

I'm sure we are all hoping your children do not become pawns as the two of you work through this, and that it will work out for the best for all concerned. Good luck!

Non-binary/Questioning
    I think you may be correct about her wanting/needing to feel like the victim. Sometimes when people are angry or upset they make bad decisions - or avoid making difficult or emotionally-laden decisions so that they don't have to see themselves as responsible in any way for their situation. I suggest you have your lawyer write to her lawyer (so you have a record of it) to lay out the various options and the benefits of each and a timeline. If you don't get a (cooperative) reply, you need to take the course of action that is most beneficial for all concerned (considering as well your own ability to pay for the various options). If all options are bad from the point of view of your relationship with your ex or kids, then take the best of the worst. I hope it works out *hugs*

Paula,

You have to protect yourself both mentally and financially. Your ex-wife simply cannot move on with her life. She is trapped, however if you do not protect yourself first you will be in no position to help her at any time in the future.

I have been in a situation like this and my advice is to cut and run. She is doing this to bleed you dry and taking the victim route. You are no longer connected to her she is getting vengeance for some real or imagined thoughts of her and her hate for you. Been though it myself. Best to walk away and I had to file a forever restraining order against her and she even tried to get alimony, but her kids were not mine and Texas law protected me there.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    Frankly I don't know if one can really ascribe the term "victim" to these marital breakups. I tried to make a quick check for your age, but, could not find it. Or the length of the marriage. However, what I have usually observed is the woman in a marriage is generally the spouse who is ill prepared for a marital break up. The financial facts of a divorce is the plain fact it is a lot cheaper for two to live together than separately. Combined incomes with one mortgage, etc? With advancing age it is also the situation there may be a decrease in income, hopefully with a decrease in expenses (mortgages). Anyway the plain reality of the structure of marriages and society is the woman gets the short end of a divorce. It is fairly evident the husband is better prepared to recover financially.

If she is playing the 'victim' card, she is not entitled to play it? It really is no different than if the dissolution of the marriage was caused by any other reason. If your long range plan was to live together as one into retirement and beyond, and, dissolution happens, is there not a sense of being cheated in the long run? I'm sure the woman in a marriage is also thinking of all the "What ifs."

I think many women do not think their worlds may collapse around them, and, they will find themselves ill prepared for their new roles.

Frankly, three years is really not a lot of time for anyone to recover, if they recover at all.

I will agree it is time to end it all and let the chips fall where they may. And, that does not mean she is not entitled to called a "victim."

Maybe in my profession over thirty years I saw too much of this occurring, i.e., the financial fallout. One thing I took away from my observations/jobs was to stick with my daughter when she had to drop out of college because she undertook too much at one time. Rather than relegate her to the work force of minimum wage jobs my wife and I made sure she was supported in all efforts to get that education, so she would never be dependent upon a husband for her support. It cost my wife and I a lot of $$$, but, in the end we ended up with a highly educated daughter with a Master's Degree who has a very good job. She will never to dependent upon another person for her support if her marriage was to dissolve. She'll be able to pick herself up and continue on.

Paula Im sorry to hear of this bad situation, I dont think you owe her anything else, youve done all you can. I think its best to look out for yourself at this point. I know my ex has accused me of being a "victim" despite all the things she has done and said to me. I can tell you its been 7 years this month shes been gone. I know sometimes people really need to hit bottom before things will change for them. I got fired last month and in my time off I came here.I know Ive carried conflict within myself, blame you name it, I know in my heart she would have left me at some point regardless of who or what I am, I accepted myself, Im now happier than ever and thats Truth. Paula, I really think you need to protect yourself at this point, do what you need to do for your own sake.
    Mykaa is me! Discovering Peace throughout from the Girl within.
    David Bowie "Don't stay in a sad place Where they don't care how you are..."
    Disturbed The Light "The truth is waiting there for you to find it
    It's not a blight, but a remedy"

Her behaviors suggest depression is present. Has she been evaluated by a doctor?

jodi

Paula first up thank you for sharing.
    The things life throws at some us just don't feel fair. As hard as it is you are now no longer responsible for your ex wife and have been extremely generous in what you have done in regards to settlement. Yes both of you had a life together of which you would have been happy to continue before the revelation. To your children you have a responsibility even if poisoned by your ex and I would consider them to be the main focus of my grief and attention in the breakup. The problems with your ex appear to be of a psychological nature . Mutual assured destruction (MAD) this will continue regardless of all your good intentions. Lawyers and settlements will only prolong the agony. Love is a fickle beast and while you have yet to come to terms with it's loss I think that she has. (Hell has no fury). Hold your head up rationalize that this cannot continue, you have a life live it. All the best in the New life.
    Gina

Hi Paula, that is tough, and echoes a lot of my separation from my ex, where the phrase "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" most definitely rang true. Instead, she created a path for her own success. Tough as it may sound, right now you must look after number 1, refuse any linked financial dealings and most definitely let her have the fall she is creating. Because only once she is fully down can she get back up. She will always paint herself the victim to you, in order to punish, that is how this game goes. After enough time, the children will see the truth.

I really wish you the best in this.

xxx Pamela
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Hi Paula, It is true that some women who feel something has been taken from them believe that any decision they make and any action they take in revenge is justifiable. My ex is a manipulator and never comes at anyone straight on. After I left her she made sure my children did not talk to me. I have not seen or talked to them in many years. Despite her protests to the contrary, she is directly responsible. So I know well what it is like to deal with someone who is unreasonable at ever moment of there life.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

From what I have read, it sounds as if you have been very generous to your Ex, but she IS your ex and she had three years to get herself together, failing to do so doesn't make her a Victim. Your now past that part of your life, though you still have feelings towards her she clearly doesn't for you, she stopped caring when she told you to get out, your now out and you have to do what is best for YOU at this point no matter how the chips fall. I understand that's not what you want to do BUT do you want to sink with her? She's an EX for a reason. Good luck GF!
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

DITO Joanne!!!!!
    Tonya Rose This is me! (song by camp rock)

Sigh, I always knew Christina Kay's Avatar
    Oh Paula I'm so sorry that this is still going on with you and your ex wife. Just hope and pray that this time she works with you and listens to your plans. And then you can both move on . Your ex wife more so . My thoughts will be with you for a manageable outcome.
    Hugs C K
    Follow your path.. For only you can decide, which way to go.

Huge huggs Paula. I have been through a nasty Divorce myself! about 15 yrs ago and still dealing with that Bi$*h over Child support! One year left! Good luck Hun!
    Tonya Rose This is me! (song by camp rock)

As one who is giving and giving to appease with good intentions for my ex; I accept that until the child support obligation is over, she will never give me anything that helps me. I suspect you're in the same situation as the road we are on is well travelled. PROTECT YOURSELF FIRST based on what you have said in your post. Find a way to sell the house and fund the loss. It'll be much easier to cut all joint loans so you'll be in a better position. You didn't say how old your kids are, but just be there at events and give them support. They will see that and will come around as they get out on their own.
    Many prayers,
    Stephanie

Banned Read only
    I'm so sorry to hear Paula! I fortunately haven't been through one but a friend has...twice. I can't offer much other than kind words and encouragement but life's a journey and there's always going to be some rough road but never forget, it passes and things get better.

You have done more then you had to do and want to make things better for youe ex-wife if she has no desier to except what your offering. What more can you do. it may hurt but you need to lookout for youself Paula. If she wishes to go down and have nothing don't let her take you down with her. And your kids need to do bome growing up. One can only do so much do what you have to do for you girl. I trust all is going well with you transition.
    Angie