Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you stand and be counted if transgender was added to census....

Would you stand and be counted if transgender was added to census....

here in the US a bi-partisan group of pols are talking of putting LGBT info in the Census, only talk for now, but even thats positive, it wont be done in most of our lifetimes as it will be for 2030.

lots of talk here about what our real numbers are, last time they counted same sex couples, now talk of adding transgender......so now we have a decision.....it wont be for some time but....

1) would you reveal if asked ???
    2) do you think things will change when they see the true numbers ?
    3) do you think the numbers will be higher then estimated ?

make me a yes,
    i think it will still be slow to change.
    i hope the numbers reflect higher than what is thought but will not be an accurate number based on our secretive status and concerns.
    [B]
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-10-2016 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Adding link would make it a media thread
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Can we trust the government not to abuse this information once they have it?

Here, you ask people to identify as transgender. Those who consider themselves to be transgender actually identify as the gender they portray. This would mean that the person (MTF) would identify as female on the form and the (FTM) would identify as male.

Are you perhaps asking if those of us who are "gender queer" or non conforming would identify?

I definitely would.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

Absolutely I'd put myself down as TG if it were an option on the census. Actually, if the census came right now, I'd be in a quandary what to put down for gender and whether to use my old or new name. I haven't yet declared my transition in any kind of legally official way yet. At least I have four years to think about it, and a lot can happen by then.

I think things will change even if they don't get an accurate count on the census. Trans people are coming out and getting more visibility anyway, and along with that more acceptance and legal protection. We seem to be in the same position gay people were at thirty years ago, in another thirty years seeing trans people out and about may be commonplace. Unfortunately I probably won't be around to enjoy it.

It's hard to say what the actual census count would be, let alone the "Real" number. Right now estimates can vary widely. Quite a few people are unwilling to admit to themselves that they're trans, so they wouldn't declare it on a census form. I think that would make the count kind of useless for research purposes.

I would stand and be counted. As i said, over one hundred fifty girls at the Diva Las Vegas called themselves TG also. So it is just not on this site and is widespread. But why does the government want to know this? Sometimes recorded data is used against good people.
    Part Time Girl

lets not turn this to a definition of term debate....please!

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    Can we trust the government not to abuse this information once they have it?
    the government already has so much information on us and then you have what you share about your CD self on the internet, here and perhaps shopping online and other social sites, pictures ect....which do you trust less....

Quote Originally Posted by Alberta_Pat View Post
    Here, you ask people to identify as transgender. Those who consider themselves to be transgender actually identify as the gender they portray. This would mean that the person (MTF) would identify as female on the form and the (FTM) would identify as male.
    Are you perhaps asking if those of us who are "gender queer" or non conforming would identify?

I definitely would.
    im not asking anything but what was posted, the US census will be defining and asking and tallying.....i just thought it was interesting that there is even talk and interest about counting LGBT....
    ....Mykell

Im curious why it cant happen before 2030?

Unfortunately, to the general public, the term transgendered has become to mean Caitlyn Jenner.

If they asked if I was a cross-dresser, yes I would check that box.

Use of a blanket term like transgendered...I believe would confuse the issues.
    Cara

When my last passport renewal came out I was going to tick other..... but it meant too many additional forms to fill out to administer the change.

If it was just ticking a box like in a census, I would say yes.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

While most of us here indulge in wearing clothing designed for the opposite sex to our own gender, not all would be honest or genuine in identifying as transgendered. In my case this answer would have to be a no.

No, but then I only give my name and address anyway. The Constitution says to take a count every ten years for the purpose of representation. I choose not to tell them anything else.

Bring it. I hunger for that box to check.

Re: Alberta Pat -- the question is transgender not transsexual. I'll stay out of the term definition wars beyond that. Regardless of if you think crossdressers are or aren't, I am. Sadly, I'm a low probability for being around in 2030.

When my last passport renewal came out I was going to tick other..... but it meant too many additional forms to fill out to administer the change.
    Are you carrying a non-US passport? I just checked and the US forms still only allow "M" or "F." Last I heard only five countries support "O" but I keep hoping the US will come around.
    Last edited by Pat; 04-09-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasminepp View Post
    Im curious why it cant happen before 2030?
    The 2020 Census is probably well into development by now, it may be hard to add questions at this point.

Since i am only a crossdresser about 2% of the time, and male the rest, i would have to be honest, and not deceptive, and put down male.

To me, being transgender is more a state of mind, spirit & soul than one's outward physical appearance. Although Nikki is within me always, I only have occasional opportunities to present a physically feminine appearance in harmony with my inner self. Nikki
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

1. Why do they want/need to know?
    2. How do they define transgender?
    Those aren't questions for the forum, but what I need to know (from the gov't) before answering.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by mikell View Post
    1) would you reveal if asked ???
    Yes
    2) do you think things will change when they see the true numbers ?
    Yes
    3) do you think the numbers will be higher then estimated ?
    Yes, LGBT data is often under reported. This will still be under reported, but it should be closer.

DeeAnn

Aspiring Member
    Yes I would.
    I would expect some changes, some of them would not be good.
    if everyone was honest the numbers would be staggering.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar

Much more than a 'yes'

Not only would I answer 'yes', I successfully applied to work on the 2016 census in Australia as a transgendered person.

So looking forward to 5 months in my first job as a working girl. I'm fortunate that Australia is so enlightened.

hi michelle,

do they ask these questions on the australia census?
    ....Mykell

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    If it was just ticking a box like in a census, I would say yes.
    ^If this was all that was required, yes, I'd do it. Besides, as implied above, if someone really wanted to know, they could probably figure it out. It wouldn't be easy, or proven definitely, but they could be pretty sure. Buying patterns, what has been purchased, web tracking, etc., would give anyone away. The amount of trouble that they'd have to do to get it, would be more work than it's worth. Kind of like breaking into a house to rob a piggy bank filled with pennies.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Mikell,
    Interesting question, my first question is what do they want to discover from the census ? What do they intend to do with the information and how detailed will it be ? I wonder if they are going to subdivide or lump all the YES votes under one umbrella .

Now I feel I have nothing to loose to say yes if asked.
    Will things change if they discover the true figures ? I'm being cynical here but they still won't see the true figures, some will still hold back and some will vote out of uncertainty .
    I would like to think the the figure will be higher to prove they aren't afraid to admit they are TG/TS.

To talk about this happening in 2030 or later may prove to be none starter anyway, I'd like to think the situation has changed enough not to require the census at all !

Reps. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., and 76 other members of Congress sent a letter to the House Appropriations commerce, justice and science subcommittee requesting the panel include language in its fiscal 2017 funding bill that would force the Census Bureau to produce statistics on LGBT members through the decennial census and the annual American Community Survey.

The Census Bureau told FoxNews.com there are currently no plans in place to accommodate that request.
    "Decisions on new content are reached through careful consideration and public input and linked to a federal, legislative or programmatic need for the data," the agency said in a written statement. "At this time, the Census Bureau does not have plans to test a transgender category for the 2020 decennial census."

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwindsor View Post
    To me, being transgender is more a state of mind, spirit & soul than one's outward physical appearance. Although Nikki is within me always, I only have occasional opportunities to present a physically feminine appearance in harmony with my inner self. Nikki
    hi nikki, im sure many could relate to this, myself included, but would you include nikki in the census if asked about her....
    ....Mykell

Aspiring Member
    As a CD I don't see myself as TG.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGreene View Post
    As a CD I don't see myself as TG.
    According to some definitions out there, CD is under the TG umbrella. Not all TGs are TS.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.