Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Somewhere in the middle

Reined- you are correct about Europe. I was stationed in Germany for 3 years back in the 80's and there was no where near the type of concern over appearing feminine or being perceived as gay. In fact, it was harder for me to tell a gay person from a straight person over there. In my ignorant youth, I figured there were just a lot more Euro gay men than here in the good ol U.S of A.

I at the time being largely scared to death of myself did everything I could to rid myself of these weird feelings. Denial so deep it cannot be properly put into words. I agree as well, urban vs. rural, you will definitely see it more. I have been to NYC enough times to see the differences, along with many other large cities, but due to my local, I use NYC as just the best example. Lots of well groomed business types. They don't look like or act like a somewhat evolved sasquash. BUT, where I am living now, I grew up. And, it has changed significantly. I asked my wife (she grew up here too) and even she said yes, definitely not what it used to be. Sorry for the term, but redneck just fits here. This is a city, not a particularly large one, but a city nonetheless, and you would think we were somewhere deep in Alabama.

I really have no problem about a guy who really is just the type who likes to be or is the lumberjack whatever type. The male version of a barbie girl. But, the male code, not using an umbrella and all of the other men do not.... yes, it lessens over times somewhat, but it has gotten to be so much more restrictive IMO. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, guys would dance. a lot of us would. In the service no less. I have on a few occasions picked up my step kids from downtown and now, very few guys are anywhere near the dance floor. Now, I am not saying ALL by any means, maybe not even half, but the number of guys who seem hellbent on being hyper masculine seems to be increasing by the day, at least around my area.

As for myself, I am somewhat cautious about how I am, among friends and at work, because they know me as they know me. When I am alone and not in a place where people really know me, I really could care less what people think of me, gay, fem, sissy whatever. I used to though. My most natural way of being I think is still not overly feminine. By today's standards probably more so than before.

Edit Reine- now I have to edit for your edit lol. I actually am not a strict believer in what a male should or should not be. Or that in reality there is this large canyon of divide between the genders. Not my personal belief anyway, but at least in much of the U.S. there seems to be an ever increasing divide now. As for the mannerisms, yes, both M and F do use their hands, females tend to be MORE expressive, and in a different manner. Generally speaking. That there ARE those that don't, or men that do, yes of course. but I am talking about the averages, the majority here. Like, most women wave differently than men do. More of an up and down with their fingers wave. Guys tend to wave side to side without moving their fingers. Small subtleties is what I am talking about. Stuff that you do not think much of, and again, I am grateful that you do not and wish more were like you.

Nikki- dressed fem or not, I would still have to clean my balls.....
    Last edited by Tina_gm; 04-15-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Gendermutt, again please just be yourself. You seem like a really nice person and I'm sure you have the love and respect of a lot of people. Honestly, it won't matter if you cross your legs, give in to your animated expressions, wave your hand the way you wave, etc. People will not think less of you. In fact, they might begin to perceive you as being more relaxed? When people make a concerted effort to alter the way they behave naturally, it shows. They just look uptight.

So we agree that the behaviors you describe are shared among both men and women? Trust that your friends have a wider frame of reference than you might believe and ultimately you are to them a friend or well-liked coworker more than a collection of either male or female stereotypical behaviors they are waiting to pounce on.
    Reine

Thank you Reine- I am working on it, being myself. For so many years, feeling I had to hide or be something other than who I am or how I feel natural. I think generally of most of my peers, they already understand I am not the most masculine of men. My days of drastic over compensation are over. Still though there is some, not so much a real change of how I am naturally, it is more of a subdued amount of that which is perceived as being feminine traits. I think too, my geographic area is being much harder hit than other areas, for whatever reason. Socio economics may play a part in this. I do think though that there is a trend of the modern man to be more masculine in appearance and manner of behavior in the USA. I personally do not even see it as more masculine, just more un-kept and uncouth. It looks more sloppy to me than masculine. I come from an era where men were more suave and cool. I would like to hope I am misreading this its about being lazy rather than masculinity being so limited to so much a guy can't do or be considered feminine. It sometimes makes me sad. Standing out in the rain getting soaked isn't masculine to me, just dumb.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Gendermutt, Yes, i relate very much to what you write. When i am riding bicycles, fishing, working on the car, playing basketball, yard work, other things, i am guy, though a sensitive guy, even when i lose my temper! When i go into dress up mode, I experience the beautiful side. Sometimes in guy mode, i feel very sad, because no GGs want me, and if i was a GG, guys would be after me a lot. it is so lonely being an aging single guy. At times, i wish i was a GG, but i accept just being like one part time. Life is hard for GGs. because they get way too much unwanted male attention. Guys get way too little GG attention.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 04-15-2016 at 08:25 PM.

I actually don't feel a lot of differences depending on what I may be doing. Golf just seems to be one where the fem side does not show up. I am quite competitive though in general, but just being competitive at any one thing does not make the fem disappear. Golf just does for whatever reason.

I do want to add for any others who play out there. Yes, I am usually quite competitive with golf. It is not typically a leisure activity for me. But, I do know how to throttle back when the situation calls for it. Say team match play and maybe all we need to do is make bogey. I am not going to be some clown out there. If its a tight dogleg, or a big carry over water to get home in to on a par 5, I'll lay back.

I guess I am like you Gendermutt. I love being Lisa, but I also love being the male me. So I suspect I am somewhere in the middle, but perhaps a bit closer than you to TS. That is not to say that I am TS, but I do miss dressing when I can't and I am reluctant to change back to my male me when I'm dressed. Other than that, when I'm Lisa, I love it and after I've changed into the male me (and waited a few moments) I'm glad for that also.
    Please call me Lisa!

Hi Lisa. I try not to compare myself or anyone as more or less of anything. Perhaps you are right about the TS thing in some regards. Then again, I don't have much of any change I make when dressing. I still feel pretty much the same, I don't change to or from anything other than the clothing. So I guess that may be a reason why I don't feel that downer many talk about, or a thrill type high when dressing??

I can't say either I have some feeling of enjoying being a male. It is frustrating for me often. I just don't quite feel fully connected a lot of times, but yet not always connected to being a female either. I feel "like" one often, and I guess like a male often too. I often wonder why they do this or that.... (either gender) I will find myself thinking, I don't get it. Why do they do this so much, or like that so much.... either gender. I seem to like things that are girly, but then still have several interests and do things more associated with men. I try not to box it all in, like the discussion I just had with Reine. I can't say I am not gendered either, I always feel some sort of connection to both male and female, but hardly ever does it get close to 100% either way. I would say that when it comes to mannerisms, general natural behavior, I am probably more on the fem side. According to my wife, she can tell sometimes how I am leaning, masculine or feminine either by my mannerisms being more overt, which I do not always recognize, but also she feels my brain will act more one way or the other, which again, I don't always recognize. I do recognize when I feel more one way or the other, but now how I am being perceived. Then there are times she had no clue, and I figured I was giving off a ton of clues to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gendermutt View Post
    Anyway, I have no goals, no destination other than peace and happiness. Perhaps this place in the middle, or both is really where I need to be. I have no plans to go further, dress more, or less, feel any more or less of anything. I never really have. I am just slowly accepting myself for myself, and find myself more and more somewhere in the middle between male and female.
    Hi Gendermutt,
    First, I wish for you that you reach your destination of peace and happiness. The same wish goes to all of us.

I am also in the middle. I hadn't realized that until a few years ago. Until then, I thought I wasn't manly, not considering or wanting to consider if not manly, then what? Reading stories like yours and others certainly got me to start considering!

I have to say that I'm rather self-satisfied when I take those cheesy psychological surveys that tell you are you more masculine or feminine - I'm always dead in the middle. I suppose I like it there.

I behave like you've described, maybe a little different (hmm, we're all a little different, aren't we ? ) I shave the bottoms of legs all the time, and my chest above my bra cups. I have fine blond hair and that expression just isn't noticed. I've let my nails grow a little longer than I used to. I feel content and relaxed when I dress with no rational explanation as to why.

So I go with the flow, ride the wave, go where the winds take me (too early in the morning to come up with more or better cliches). I'm no sadder when I have to put my clothes away than I am when I have to put any of my hobbies away. I'm just happy I had a chance to play.

I see from all the replies to your thread (you got a lot of good discussion going, didn't you?) that we're not alone, in fact it's kind of crowded here in the middle. Cool. We knew that!

So when your Gender Supervisor asks you what your Gender Goals are and where you see your gender going in five years, just tell her to shush, you're watching the Golf channel and want to see what they're wearing at the LPGA. My Gender Supervisor doesn't even talk to me any more.

Hugs,
    Genny

PS No, to all of you who might worry, I don't really have a gender supervisor talking to me in my head. It's a metaphor. Look it up.

Hi Genny and thanks. There are other CD forums that may attract a bit different crowd. This one seems to be those who are more than just fetish CDers. (although I am sure we have some here too), and nothing wrong with that, but for most of us here topside, it is more than just fetish. A fairly healthy amount of TS that come to this place as well. So I guess I was searching for some similar experience. How to deal with it, go with the flow so to speak. I will never say it rises to the challenges of someone who is TS. But, there always seems to be a bit of a push pull going on with me. It gets frustrating along with my self imposed limitations on my gender expression. It is totally a choice, I never say I can't because. I don't because of the life I have and my desire not to disrupt it. Hopefully I will never have to.