Thread: heels are a workout

heels are a workout

anyone else feel sore legs/butt/even core from wearing heels for a few hours? I feel like I did tons of leg lifts and body weight squats after wearing 3" heels for 6 hours or so...on Tuesday!

Some heels are not designed to walk I found out. My nicest shiny six inch heels hurt real bad after six hours and walking in them was like slow. Had to walk to a function. My black dress and was maxed out for a formal dinner. I learned that I must have flats in my purse for walking back. Learned that from someone at the function that pulled them out to walk back.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    I have several pairs of three inch heels. I have no difficulty in wearing heels for the better part of the day. Recently my wife was out of state for six nights and seven days and I wore three inch heels all the time with the exception of sleeping. I had no problems with in-home use. I would suggest not wearing a heel with a narrow/slim/spike heel for a long time. There is a certain amount of wobble that will occur if your leg muscles are not use to the required balancing act. When I go for strolls I wear a three inch wedge. The heel is more substantial and easier on the leg muscles. Like any exercise and I consider which wearing heels an exercise, you have to build up to it. I've seen many many women who normally do not wear heels complain about them. On the other hand I've seen many professional women wear four inch heels the entire work day without missing a step and no complaints.

The short story: you get used to it.

I think there are a couple of things in play here. One is muscles you don't normally use in flats. They come up to speed pretty quick if you wear heels regularly. The other is tension from maintaining (or sometimes over-maintaining) your balance. As you gain confidence that you won't tip over you'll learn to relax and there won't be any tension stiffness. Usually if I'm in heels I'm in them for the day and don't have muscle soreness at the end of it. Sore feet? Sometimes. Sore legs? Nah. So the good news is you just need some hours of heel time.

I spent a few hours out and about yesterday in 5" heels. I was fine for the first hour or 2 but then it got tough. I felt myself dragging a heel every now and then and the more tired my legs got the worse it got. Like Jennie said, practice practice practice!

Aspiring Member
    I have a bad lower back and actually feel better after the heel wearing experience. Case in point was last night. My back had been going downhill lately and I had no chance to dress for 3 weeks due to surgery recovery. Finally got to tip around in some 3 inchers last night and "snap" got up this morning with no pain.

Legs feel pretty good too. However walking about the house vs out on the street is two completely different ball games. You might want to get a good calf/hamstring stretch to go along with your heel wearing too.

Reality Check
    You will do far better wearing them for short periods at a time, perhaps an hour or two until you build up your muscles.

so the consensus seems to be: more time in heels

Josie,
    Yes, suck it up.... :-)

Heels are a workout until you either get used to them or at least find the appropriate height for yourself.

I wear 3" heels and that is satisfactory for me, I do have a pair of 5" heels that are most comfortable and I really don't know why.

Lots of luck to you finding out and do have fun trying.

Let us know how you fared after another twelve months.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Not really for me. But I'm wierd that way anyway, lol. I do have one pair that I can't wear, they kill my feet in five minutes.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Banned Read only
    YES! Even though I workout I get sore from wearing heels for as little as half an hour. Of course I am just beginning...
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-17-2016 at 03:41 AM.

I would assume that they are exactly like shoes. It all boils down to quality and how they fit your feet. I have flats that I can't walk in more than a few minutes.

It depends on the shoe. I have 3" heels that are more comfortable than some of my 2".

I usually feel it in the calves.

Platinum Member
    Hi Josie , NO ONE EVER SAID THAT BEING A LADY WAS GOING TO BE EASY!

There are two different kinds of Hi-Heels, Walking Hi-Heels and Setting Hi-Heels

The more you walk in them the better they will feel once your body adjusts to them......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Heels can be rather tough to handle. Though I have been wearing them since I was fifteen years old and pretty much prefer no more than three inches. Been through the times where I needed sky high ones but these days my taste have changed to a more professional look. Not pretty but feel great and enjoy myself and that is enough.