Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Manly" Hobbies and the CD.

"Manly" Hobbies and the CD.

Do any of you find yourself less interested in some of you more masculine hobbies as you've embraced your more feminine side?

Speaking for myself, I'm an avid motorcycle rider. As I've began to re-embrace my interest in all thing feminine, I've become less interested in some of my other passions.

Which leads me to this, do you think we embrace some of the more traditional male interests in life to compensate for our perceived lack of "masculity"?

A well known member of one website I belong too transitioned to a full TG not long ago (she's quite lovely, btw). Her transition has me wondering if my interest in that and other hobbies is just a sub conscious attempt to cover for what I really want.
    Last edited by Nigella; 04-16-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: The edited content is a banned topic on this forum

I think it depends on your mindset, I still pursue "Manly" hobbies, I am less likely to want to shoot and hunt and I am a little more environmental friendly.

Cars are still an interest and not being a sports lover I do not go chasing pigskin so much.

I have played womens hockey, tennis, basketball and water polo.

I was an avid seamstress when I was square dancing but this has waned and I only sew to make items of hard to get 60s fashions.

Rope petticoats and full skirts for instance.

My CD life has been progressing since I was twelve, so there has not been any really developmental change for me.

Both fashion, girls and fast cars all grew up together.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Interesting question. I myself still do manly hobbies as always but I have picked up some of my feminine hobbies also and that makes it a little richer in the pursuit of happiness. Actually on motor cycles I drive en femme and in man mode. Naw, I think we always did our manly hobbies as they are interesting also. But hoot as a girl I sew now and have fun doing those things also. But I still like getting outside cracking a beer and BBQing.
    Last edited by Sandra; 04-16-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Reference to firearms removed not allowed on the forum
    Part Time Girl

I'm not into anything considered "manly." I'm not into sports much. I prefer to read right now. One hobby that I wish I was into but cannot afford is model railroading which is mostly male dominated but I don't think is can be considered "manly."
    lmildcd is now known as Lennette Lost.

Aspiring Member
    Car girl here. As close as I can get to a mostly male dominated domain. Could be construed as an auto enthusiast way before I ever knew what crossdressing was, so it isn't really a matter of compensating. But I dislike how women interested in this field are all too often fetishised, rare gem or nay.
    Last edited by Lily Catherine; 04-16-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I still do manly hobbies so that has not changed but now I do them in girl mode with GG's that enjoy the same hobby.

Yes I still do manly hobbies but as an avid fly fisherman i have always wondered what would happen or people think if I showed up for a day streamside dressed like my avatar????
    hugs phylis anne

Platinum Member
    I still have the same interests/hobbies that I have had since childhood. I still build military models. I'm still a baseball nutcase, although since the Seattle Mariners continue to suck, I watch less. Go Yankees! Since I retired I do many of the domestic chores because my wife still works several days a week. I do laundry, ironing, baking, cooking, vacuuming, etc. Those chores are usually done en femme, a la June Cleaver (Leave It to Beaver). With the additional time I have taken more interest in gardening: flowers and vegetables. I do like creating displays of colorful flowers in the garden, which is probably related to liking to wear pretty colorful dresses, especially floral patterns.

I don't consider myself less masculine because I dress, it's just another side of me. I still have the same interests most men, do model trains, target shooting, fishing and golf. However, when I'm dresse I don't run the trains or tie flies.
    Last edited by Donna St. Marten; 04-16-2016 at 06:26 PM.

I always loved fishing, and still do, went yesterday, love riding bicycles, like to shoot basketball, wish i could play baseball or softball again, like to fix the car. All these i do in male mode, maybe panties under.

For me I haven't seen myself changing hobbies. More a less interest that is weather related vs CD related. Hard to ride the Harley when there is 6" of snow on the ground and 20 degrees. On the other hand it is hard to sit in the house working on a model when it is 80s and sunny.

Tim
    Just your average harley riding crossdressing biker

Why be normal??????

I was wondering the same thing. I do not care for "manly" pursuits -- no interest in professional team sports, or cars, or guns/hunting -- and I wondered if it was just part of my character or if it was a thing with CD's. Apparently not, so much.
    I am intrigued that so many of us (well, three) like model railroading, especially since it has faded in popularity so in the past 40 years. Anybody remember the pink Lionel set?

Being dual, means I still go hard at my manly hobbies.
    While guns were never me, I'm quite proficient with them (not machine guns, bullets went everywhere except to the target) also good at paintball and airsoft. I'm also not bad behind a race car (not competative as I hate spending big money on myself).
    I have quite a few other manly interest - this morning youngest daughter is taking me bush for an archery target hunt - it's raining hard so taking my hiking books.
    I've never been a team sport player but prefered tennis & squash, which is now gender nutural.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I can't dress 24/7 with family and all things that go with that.And then comes hunting and fishing very hard to do in a skirt and heels. But I balance it all out somehow.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Brenna S View Post
    Which leads me to this, do you think we embrace some of the more traditional male interests in life to compensate for our perceived lack of "masculity"?
    I suppose if you posit deep unconscious motivations it's possible. But a simpler answer is that we embrace those interests because we like them.

I have never had a lot of manly hobbies that I have liked much. I do like to fish, although I rarely have gone much in a long time. But I have great memories from my father and I, and I have enjoyed it when I have gone. Golf- not really manly in itself, but male dominated, and played by mostly men who are conservative straight cisgender males. It brings out a lot of my competitiveness. And when I do play, my fem side seems to be no where in sight. It is just about everywhere else though. I play because I enjoy it immensely. I am not sure why my fem side disappears with golf.

As for a lot of the manly hobbies or whatever, no real interest. I could care less to do any DIY stuff. I get no sense of satisfaction, or fun, for what pathetically little I can do, I just feel a sense of relief its over. I do love old muscle cars, but only to drive. I ll let a mechanic work on them. No interest or fun in that for me. When it comes to stuff like that I feel more like the legally blond character lol. I see guys get into having all kinds of fun building decks sheds, porches, houses.... zzzzzz Digging, plowing, hunting.... blah blah blah for me. You spray what on you and go sit in a tree in the cold for hours???? I'm good, thanks.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Banned Read only
    Not me. I love the physical stuff I have always done. I just finished a grueling mountain bike ride setting PRs both up and down the hills. Can't get enough of the adrenaline.

For me, there is no "other" me. It's just me.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 04-16-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Platinum Member
    Hi Brenna , I still enjoy the best of both worlds. , ......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Great another "MANLY" pursuits perspective. Do any now do "GIRLY" pursuits. Other than the dressing.

Yes there are pursuits that may tend to be done more by men. My own hobby is one I have done since very young. Yes it tends to be dominated by men, but many women do it also. No way could it be seen as MANLY.

I know many TG/TS that have most of the same pursuits before and after SRS. Some race/drive/work on muscle/sports cars/motorcycles/bicycles. Can't answer much on sports/fishing/hunting as they have never come up.

My partner and I did most of the easier maintenance stuff on our cars. We did all of the minor maintenance stuff around house. Plumbing/electrical/computers/rebuild - build cabinets/redo wallpaper/tile floors/install garage door openers/rebuild outside deck/yard work. Of course none of the maintenance work is done in dresses/skirts, that would be silly. Neither of us were into sports before/after. A lot of this is because someone had to do them and we could, not that they were fun.

For me all of my "manly" hobbies I had were just a front to try to be a person I couldn't ever feel was really me.

So now-days I really don't want to lift anything heavier than a nightgown.................being silly I know but I have no interest in being a male in any way

But I believe that regardless of gender or sex you should pursue your dreams.............and ambitions.

Gender and Sex should not define what you do in life for hobbies...............

But if your hobby is chewing tobacco and whittling you won't be very femme in my eyes.....no offense just saying
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Quote Originally Posted by Brenna S View Post
    Do any of you find yourself less interested in some of you more masculine hobbies as you've embraced your more feminine side?

Speaking for myself, I'm an avid motorcycle rider. As I've began to re-embrace my interest in all thing feminine, I've become less interested in some of my other passions.
    If you're not interested in riding as a male, you could ride while dressed and join a women's riding group.

There's an extensive list of women's riding clubs below, all over the US. This is just the first result in google, and I'm sure there are lots more:

http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/...ing_Clubs.aspx
    Last edited by ReineD; 04-16-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Reine

I don't consider it 'manly', I play guitar- very well. I still hear 'for a girl' all the time. When someone says ' she plays guitar' some jackass will say 'Oh, you like Taylor Swift?' I can be carrying a guitar into a club, with my rock band set up on stage, and somebody will ask if I play guitar.
    Anybody, can do whatever they want. I can't think of anything that's exclusively male, or female except pissing on campfires.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri K View Post
    But if your hobby is chewing tobacco and whittling you won't be very femme in my eyes.....no offense just saying
    Agree Gender and Sex do not define what pursuits I do.

Only whittling I do is around the campfire when camping. Don't chew but knew a country gal that did at work, after indoor smoking was banned. I have been a cigar smoker since I was 12, and not those cigarette looking cigars. Cigarettes just had no flavor for me.

Being Femme means different things to different people. With my Lesbian friends I am definitely a Femme. With some of my TG/TS friends I tend to be also. With my TG/CD friends I am female but not as Femme as them.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    Anybody, can do whatever they want. I can't think of anything that's exclusively male, or female except pissing on campfires.
    Thank you.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    I can't think of anything that's exclusively male, or female except pissing on campfires.
    Actually they have devices you could do that with. For female pilots, it fits over your privates with a funnel. Small planes have NO bathroom, men just use a jar/bottle.