Thread: Chip off the ole block

Chip off the ole block

My entire family is crazy about the hit Broadway musical Hamilton. We haven't seen it yet, but I got the soundtrack for Christmas, and its been in heavy rotation ever since. For those who don't know, Hamilton is about Alexander Hamilton, one of America's founding fathers (he's the guy on the $10 bill). In a bold move, much of the music is hip-hop inspired, and most of the cast are people of color. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. Anyway, we've been having sing-alongs and dance-offs to the music.

This evening, my 10-year old daughter listed the three characters she would most like to play if she had a chance to be in the show: "Aaron Burr," "Lafayette," and "King George." I carefully considered her choices, and mentioned, "I see you've chosen all guy characters, none of the women?" "They're not as interesting," she replied, "and I'd be awesome at drag!" "Ah, following in your father's footsteps," I joked. Now I wasn't dropping a bomb on her. She's seen me in drag before: I had a part in La Cage aux Folles, two Halloweens ago I was a cheerleader, and I've also performed in a couple of charity drag shows. We haven't discussed that I identify as trans, but at least it's nice to know that she has no hang ups about drag.

Anyway, I found the anecdote amusing and wanted to share.

Banned Read only
    Great story Jamie! I completely get it too, both of my kids are adults (kinda 😉 ) and completely accepting of people for who they are...we might not be able to single handedly change the world, but we can influence our children to accept everyone for who they are!

Have to confess though, I actually viewed this thread thinking there was a tip for keeping cinder blocks from chipping, the one I carry in my purse is starting to show some wear 😉

It is wonderful to see that you have such a close connection with your daughter. I do believe that she could be most accepting to knowing Jamie. Regarding Hamilton, I will be seeing sometime during 2016-2017 since it is part of my Broadway play subscription that I just bought today. They say that you cannot get tickets at he box office price in NYC now because it is sold out far into the future. I can't wait to see it. The creator who is also plays Hamilton in the play just won the Pulitzer prize for all his work on the play.