Thread: The Positives of the Bathroom Debate

The Positives of the Bathroom Debate

I've never been part of a group that was in the crosshairs of political debate. I go out a lot. Whether I feel more or less secure is situational, but I will say I typically feel different than I did before all the fireworks. The positive responses (Target, for instance) is in response to the negative, the negative in response to the positive, and I can't remember which came first. I have not been a Target shopper. I will go out of my way to become one. It is my duty to do so.

We tend to focus on the negative. Let's not forget, for Target and other big (and small) companies to make a publicly vocal stance in favor of TG employees and customers is HUGE! I suspect there are many companies that have similar policies, they're just not as vocal about it. A couple of years ago this was unthinkable. It took guts, and the courage of conviction. They did it knowing full well that it could have a big negative impact on their bottom line, and they did it anyway. The only meaningful way we can say "thank you" is with our money.

Also, with all the articles posted here I've scrolled down to the comments. The comments are overwhelmingly in our favor. This is a BIG surprise to me. Where did all this support come from? Well, maybe those who have commented have encountered on of us along the way. Maybe we conducted ourselves in such a way that left a positive impression. Maybe those small gestures are paying off!

I've been going out since the '70's. Until very recently, the public I encountered had not only probably never seen a TG person. They probably hadn't had a reason to formulate a strong opinion about us. Whatever they thought about us from then on probably has a lot to do with what they thought about me (and you, in a similar situation). Usually, there was little or no detectable reaction. Fifteen minutes later, or the next day, maybe there was a reaction after they'd had time to digest it and formulate an opinion. I wasn't around to see it. Now the vibe I get is that everybody I encounter has already formulated an opinion. Everybody has seen or is a least aware of Caitlyn Jenner. Everybody has heard about the bathroom issue. When they read me, they already think they know something about me. That's new and different, for those of us who've been going out for a long time.

These are exciting times! I'm not naive. I see all the same stuff the rest of you do. Being someone who is free to choose where and when I dress (or don't), I'm not as affected as many of you are. I get that. I also understand that the haters are more "riled up" than ever. That will effect every aspect of my dressing. I can't honestly say I'm feeling more empowered in public. Privately, though, I'm feeling some of that.

I think strongly that after the storm dies down there will be a net gain. Few of the benefits of this will be felt or enjoyed by me. Already I see more trans visibility. I think the kids being born today will live in an entirely different (and better) society when it comes to acceptance of gender non-conformity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    I have not been a Target shopper. I will go out of my way to become one. It is my duty to do so.
    I don't think that's as important, as writing to the company and thank them for their support. They'll know by sales whether it affects their bottom line. OTOH, I will check to see if they carry the panties that I like.

I suspect there are many companies that have similar policies, they're just not as vocal about it.
    I think it came about more due to the equal access laws which focused on companies that were found to be firing LGBT folks, and tolerance policies developed as more TG/TS people started coming out.

The only meaningful way we can say "thank you" is with our money.
    As above, a letter of support to their brass is always noticed. When I was in management, customer's letters of thanks or complaints were a big issue, because we knew that for every letter we got, there were at least a dozen people who felt the same way but didn't write. (BTW, I have written to many of the companies mentioned in that article about which support us; sure, they're all basically the same form letter other than where I mention the brand. But it's something, and unless one of those managers is working in two companies, they're not going to know that is my form letter.

I think strongly that after the storm dies down there will be a net gain. Few of the benefits of this will be felt or enjoyed by me. Already I see more trans visibility. I think the kids being born today will live in an entirely different (and better) society when it comes to acceptance of gender non-conformity.
    I agree; however, unless we all get out and vote, there's always the danger of winding up with another lunatic candidate putting a nutcase homophobe on the supreme court.

Remember to vote!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

i think that this is the most positive iv seen, its based on law and facts, not supposition and sound bites and conveniently picked out news stories as much as twenty years old that put us in negative light.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-...LNG?li=BBnbfcL

and it bucks the trend of grown man dressed as women, in my support group i am outnumbered by FtM by a wide margin and in my new support group we also have trans men joining and most are younger folks. ++++
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If anyone thinks this is about restrooms? U probably think the 50's segregation protests were about water fountains!

They weren't and this isn't.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

True doc, this isn't merely about bathrooms. IMO, this is purposeful pandering, division tactics, and other tricky tactics to keep the focus off of other issues. I believe also not so much the actual bathrooms, but of a purpose to keep TG people out of the public at all. To harass us however they can. Bringing this stuff up to cause more people to have mcCarthy style hatred or distrust of TG people. TG is the new commie pinko....
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

if interested, move on is having a petition drive. It doesn't have the million signatures like the hate group has but it's a start.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/sup...&r_by=15631799

And here are some examples of people on our side. http://www.chicagonow.com/affirmed-m...nized/#image/2

reponse-to-post-1.jpg
    Last edited by Lena; 04-29-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Doc, I think you have it nailed.