Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to react to the "compliment"?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

How to react to the "compliment"?

We all like to receive compliments on the effort we put into our presentation. I got one last night as I was leaving a restaurant with two other Trans girls and one wife. I didn't blush, but did say thank you and kept moving as we were blocking the path. Later when we stopped for an after dinner drink I checked and it turns out the woman who was gushing over how great we looked didn't compliment the cis-gender woman with us, but did say something to each of the rest of us. From my point of view the GG killed it and was the most attractive and appropriately dressed one in our group. So we have the situation of being praised, but also being picked out as Trans.

So how would you respond if you were in this situation and saw the praise was only directed at the T-girls? Is it best to say thanks and be happy they weren't carrying a pitchfork and torch or try to educated them or just let it go for a totally different time and place?
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Aspiring Member
    I would say a polite thank you trying to be lady liked and low voiced as possible and let it go. I do have close to a woman's voice.

A simple Thank-You so much with a big smile and off you go.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Allisa is right - thank you with a smile

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm like u. I'm thrilled when someone even says, "Can I help u, sir? Err-- maam." But, I have actually passed a few times on or around Halloween, Sarah.

People treat u so differently when they just assume you're female without thinking!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

A smile and a "thank you" does wonders.

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Banned Read only
    Sarah, I have not heard one woman complimenting another on "how they look." Commentary on an article of clothing, jewelry or new hair style is very common, but "You look great," I have never heard.

I suspect the more generalized compliment aimed at a cross dresser is, in part, to recognize the effort we make and the challenge we face.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 05-01-2016 at 07:47 PM.

A simple, "Thank you," with a smile will do.

It sounds like you're a bit uncertain how to react, because you think maybe the person has figured out what you hoped might remain secret. I'd suggest that you not focus on whether you've been read or not, but rather on the intentions of the person. If you sense that the person was intending to be mean or insulting, then go ahead and be hurt. But if you think the person was trying to be nice, why not take the compliment in the spirit in which it was intended, even if it might have been a bit clumsy and thoughtless?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Sarah, I have not heard one woman complimenting another on "how they look." Commentary on an article of clothing, jewelry or new hair style is very common, but "You look great," I have never heard. I suspect the more generalized compliment aimed at a cross dresser is, in part, to recognize the effort we make and the challenge we face.
    I totally agree. In light of this, when I am complimented I smile and say thank you, knowing that the individual knows I am a guy in woman's clothing. If it is a SA I assume they are selling. If it is anyone else I take it as a form of acceptance.
    Live and let dress.

I never know how to respond to compliments.

When young I learned how to react to criticisms, but can't always feel if a compliment is real or just niceties. Women compliment each other all the time. How many compliments here are truly such, or mainly just confidence boosters to others. Most people have egos that like to be enforced. I lost all my ego and have become very negative over time.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    As I said in my post, I smiled and said thank you. I'm the last person to not appreciate a rare and much welcome compliment. I'm sure the woman was being supportive, went out of her way to make us aware that she felt we were presenting ourselves well. And I doubt she felt she was doing the GG any disservice by not complimenting her. So it just comes down to me being slightly insecure and in denial believing I can blend well enough to be wallpaper in a busy place. That ain't going to happen and I just need to get over that illusion and refocus on being positive with those people who actually do support us, they need the compliments more than me.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Like everyone else,just say thank you and let it go.

There's always next time. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree... a Thank You and a smile. Although last Friday I was out with a GG friend at a club and a GG at the bar struck up a conversation with us. At one point she said "you ladies look fabulous" I couldn't help but smile!

Reality Check
    I would say thank you" but I would be hurt because it means I was read as a crossdresser. "Move it bitch." would make my day.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    I suspect the more generalized compliment aimed at a cross dresser is, in part, to recognize the effort we make and the challenge we face.
    I share Jenn's view. I'm not concerned about (in fact expect) being recognised as a male so I take comments/compliments as a very special way of reaching out to encourage me. That's sweet and I say so thanking them for taking the trouble to say something. Everyone's a winner. It is also useful when that happens to cross reference with what I'm wearing.

Mind you I have had a few men be complimentary and that has been a little uncomfortable.

Platinum Member
    Hi Sarah , I would take any compliment with a gracious Thank You.

I occasionally will get a compliment about my finger nails or my earrings
    when En-drab I always respond with a thank you......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Always take a compliment at face value and say "Thank you"

Had my oil change done today at dealer. Test drive a new mustang. Got into a great chat with the gals in the payment office, after she complimented on my clutch purse vs a large purse.

Love when I have the time to chat with other women, makes one feel so alive and happy.

...I have not heard one woman complimenting another on "how they look." Commentary on an article of clothing, jewelry or new hair style is very common, but "You look great," I have never heard.
    My experience has been different. While less common than a compliment about an article of clothing, I have heard and experienced compliments on how someone looks. For the past 4 years, I have worked in two office environments where it is nearly all women and the dress code is well above business casual. I have heard more than a few "You look great" or "You look pretty" said to someone.

As for a recent personal experience, two days ago I wore a new dress to work and got 4 compliments within the first hour, but they were about the dress. However, later when I went to the college where I teach, a female student, who I am acquainted with but who is not in one of my classes, said "Pretty dress" then followed it with "But you always look lovely". A few minutes later, I walk by her again and she says "You look beautiful". Of course it made my day. A male student in my class commented in front of others about my pretty dress. Now that is very unusual. It is a pretty dress though.

Sarah, I would take the compliment as a compliment and not read too much into it. As other have said, replying with a thank you and a smile is fine. You do not know what was in the mind and heart of the person so take it in the most positive light instead of spoiling it by added something that may not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I would say thank you" but I would be hurt because it means I was read as a crossdresser. "Move it bitch." would make my day.
    Krisi, you're blaming the GG for having read Sarah and her friends? Or are you upset because she was doing her best to show support. Maybe she should not have shown any support at all and instead kept quiet?

Sarah .. is this what is bothering you as well? Would you rather this GG had said nothing at all? I'm asking because I tell my CD/TG friends they look great too in an attempt to support them, but maybe I should stop doing this. Although it is not my intent, is it coming off as being patronizing? What's your advice.
    Reine

Compiments would only seem patronizing if they aren't really meant. An honest compliment is always welcome IMO.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Krisi, you're blaming the GG for having read Sarah and her friends? Or are you upset because she was doing her best to show support. Maybe she should not have shown any support at all and instead kept quiet?
    I meant exactly what I posted. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would be hurt because it means I was read as a crossdresser. "Move it bitch." would make my day.

I get a variety of compliments from "GG"s all the time, on clothes or accessories or my style of dress. I try to actually chat about what has been said. To see if honest or not. I am terrible at giving or replying with compliments.
    I do wish my TG/TS friends would do more than compliment but give some criticisms, as I know I am not perfect/great/gorgeous/pretty or just so much a regular woman at times.
    From men I always take what is said with a grain of salt, especially in clubs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I'm asking because I tell my CD/TG friends they look great too in an attempt to support them, but maybe I should stop doing this. Although it is not my intent, is it coming off as being patronizing? What's your advice.
    I tend to do this also. But do try to not do this JUST for the support. I try to give an honest compliment. Don't give criticism as my tastes are not the same for others.
    With CDs they will look just odd at times, but they are not always trying to just look like a "GG". As many on here they have an image in their mind of what a woman should be or look like.
    With the TG/TS I will give an honest opinion as they are trying to look like a "GG".
    Since all know my background, I don't want to come across as a know-it-all or patronizing.

Mother always said if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I meant exactly what I posted. Nothing more, nothing less.
    OK, then I assume that by calling her a bitch, you do blame her for reading Sarah so in this case it might have been best for her to not let on and not say anything, even if what she said was nice.

It makes me rethink the compliments I give to TGs/CDs. I'm not writing this to be mean, I'm simply trying to look at it from your perspective and if, when I say "you look great", it is having a negative effect, then I don't want to say it.
    Reine