Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to react to the "compliment"?

Banned Read only
    Reine, I have been complimented on a few occasions and while I think the compliment was genuine, it has a vibe of, "You look lovey (for a dude in a dress)." Now, I do not think for a minute, that another woman thinks I am a genetic woman so my bubble is not bursting. A compliment is good to receive. I AM a dude in a dress but they are still saying I look nice which includes how I am presenting, outfit, accessories, etc. In other words, I am not Ru Paul and I am not presenting unflatteringly.

Keep on giving compliments if they are genuine.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Sarah .. is this what is bothering you as well? Would you rather this GG had said nothing at all? I'm asking because I tell my CD/TG friends they look great too in an attempt to support them, but maybe I should stop doing this. Although it is not my intent, is it coming off as being patronizing? What's your advice.
    Reine,

I appreciated the compliment both as an appreciation of the effort I made to create a presentation that was appropriate to my age, size and situation, and as support for someone dressing in a gender non-conforming way. I don't believe she was being patronizing and there was nothing apparent other than acceptance and praise in the compliments she gave me or the other two trans girls with me at the time. It was just interesting, but not objectionable, that she didn't make any effort to engage the GG with us. I'm guessing her focus on the trans people in her world kind of blotted out everyone else at the time and that's understandable, we are still a bit of a surprise when we show up in Salt Lake City.

I would have preferred to have blended and not been read, but that becomes more and more difficult when there are more than one crossdressed person in the area and the relatively confined quarters we were in at the time. Being read is nearly a given with my size, build and features, so I'd prefer to be met with acceptance and compliments any day over the sort of abuse we are seeing in some places around the country these days. Continue to offer the kind of support you have provided in the past, it is noticed not just by the crossdresser but by others and sets a fine example for how they can behave.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

OK, thanks Sarah & Jenn ... if you do not get upset when GGs single you out with compliments, then I suppose it's safe to continue to give them.

I was wondering if complimenting a CD's appearance specifically (while ignoring the GGs present) might be looked upon with misapprehension. There was a similar thread awhile back in the TS section .. the OP was upset that a GG had made a similar comment about her, "Oh, she looks so great and content", as if implying like you say Jenn, (... for someone who has transitioned). It's the fact that the difference between a genetic female and a non-genetic female was noticed and commented on that bothered her, even though the comment was positive.

So these two threads together made me rethink how I approach this situation. Thanks again.
    Reine

Reality Check
    OK, then I assume that by calling her a bitch, you do blame her for reading Sarah so in this case it might have been best for her to not let on and not say anything, even if what she said was nice.

It makes me rethink the compliments I give to TGs/CDs. I'm not writing this to be mean, I'm simply trying to look at it from your perspective and if, when I say "you look great", it is having a negative effect, then I don't want to say it.
    Jeesh! I did not call anyone a "bitch". Read my post again, slowly. Try to read it without putting any hidden meaning into it.

And yes, if you give a crossdresser a compliment because you think they look good as a crossdresser, you are letting them know that they don't pass, no matter how nice the compliment is. If you wouldn't say it to a woman, you shouldn't say it to a crossdresser. The exception would be if you know the person personally.

I think we want to be treated as just another woman on the street, in the mall, etc. I know I do.

It makes me rethink the compliments I give to TGs/CDs. I'm not writing this to be mean, I'm simply trying to look at it from your perspective and if, when I say "you look great", it is having a negative effect, then I don't want to say it.
    Reine, please don't stop giving compliments in this forum. Nobody who is here will be hurt by having you recognize him/her as a crossdresser or TS. It is clear when commenters here say something along the lines of "You look great," that the intention is to be kind and encouraging. What happens out in public might be different, but here in this place where a lot of us come with bruised spirits and wounded souls, we seek encouragement and healing. Your comments are always a positive contribution. You look great, by the way--for a GG.

Banned Read only
    Reine, I wanted to add one more comment. I just walked in to my local wine bar and the owner, a woman, recognizes me (how can she not) and says, "Don't you look cute!" It was well intended and equally well received. She didn't have to do that. If some cross dresser is living In fantasy land and thinks a compliment equates to clocking them, they are way off base. They got "clocked" long before the compliment. Again, if it's genuine, keep offering.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    .... So we have the situation of being praised, but also being picked out as Trans.

So how would you respond if you were in this situation and saw the praise was only directed at the T-girls? Is it best to say thanks and be happy they weren't carrying a pitchfork and torch or try to educated them or just let it go for a totally different time and place?
    Hi, Sarah.

I, myself, would take it that you had just met a human being who was "aware", and knew exactly the right thing to say!! I, personally, would set aside the fact that I had been "clocked"...It happens all the time:-)...And sometimes not at all:-)))), depending on how long I have spent in a specific restaurant(or establishment).....

My guess, and it is only a guess due to past experiences in my own life, is that the "complimenter" has a "T' somewhere in their life...Because in your specific situation that night, while leaving an establishment that was very busy, the "complimenter" only had time for a brief word or two, and she gave it her heartfelt best to let ya'll know that you were doing great!!!!!!

If I were you, and the other gals, I would definitely go back their again!!!!

Jaye

P.S...Because I don't want to "double post" and have our great MODS have to "merge" my two comments....I REALLY am a neophyte when it comes to how to "Post" properly,

I tried to cut & paste one of Reine's comments from earlier here as a P.S...

OK, thanks Sarah & Jenn ... if you do not get upset when GGs single you out with compliments, then I suppose it's safe to continue to give them....
    Yes, indeedy, Reine...Please continue your instincts to give out a compliment any chance you can in "real life" situations! For every 1 CD it upsets, there will be 237 other CD's whose day you have just made!!!!

Jaye
    Last edited by JayeLefaye; 05-06-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

As a crossdresser I am grateful for any compliment from a GG. I take it as recognition of the effort I've made because no matter how good I might think I look I don't pass, ever.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 05-07-2016 at 07:39 AM.

You and me both, Taylor:-)

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Personally, when out en femme, I operate under the assumption that everyone knows the deal. My goal is not to "pass"--whatever the heck that means. My goal is to first be happy with the image I see in the mirror. I am a pretty tough critic (of myself), so, if I'm willing to go out as Jill, odds are I am feeling fairly confident in how things have come together. Compliments at that point are just the icing on the cake, but they are always appreciated.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kurtz View Post
    Reine....You look great, by the way--for a GG.
    :-))))), Well said, Lori!!!!~!~!~!:-)

Aren't compliments nice? They don't cost us anything to say, and just might bring a smile:-)

Hi JaytoJillian:-)

"Compliments at that point are just the icing on the cake, but they are always appreciated."

I agree:-)

Jaye
    Last edited by JayeLefaye; 05-07-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Aww, shucks. But, I took my avatar pic when I first joined 9 years ago. I look a lot older now.

Getting back to the discussion, my compliments are always genuine. I think it takes more of an effort for the average CDer to put together a feminine appearance than it takes a GG (we already have a head start), and so this is what I recognize when I give compliments. And if I don't think the CDer (or a GG) sitting across from me looks nice, I don't say anything.

But, when I think of all the people I know, I don't classify them into "male", "female", "CD", or "TS" boxes. My classification boxes mix up all genders, and the people I know are categorized into one or more boxes: "good friend", "coworker", "someone I'd like to know better", "acquaintance", "people I have fun with", "family member", and dozens of other boxes I file people in.
    Last edited by ReineD; 05-07-2016 at 01:43 AM.
    Reine

Aww, shucks. But, I took my avatar pic when I first joined 9 years ago. I look a lot older now.
    "I look lot older now"....Don't we all???...:-)

“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”...Mark Twain

Mea culpa for side-tracking.... Back to the discussion now:-)

Jaye
    Last edited by JayeLefaye; 05-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    ... my compliments are always genuine. I think it takes more of an effort for the average CDer to put together a feminine appearance than it takes a GG (we already have a head start), and so this is what I recognize when I give compliments. And if I don't think the CDer (or a GG) sitting across from me looks nice, I don't say anything.
    Shopping at Costco on Friday which I do regularly, several female staff made some lovely compliments on my dress. I'm sure they were genuine but frankly a white lie is always appreciated too :batting eyelashes: Always walk out of Costco feeling great ... sometimes with a near empty trolley

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytoJillian View Post
    ...... My goal is not to "pass"--whatever the heck that means. ...........
    I'll tell you what it means to me and what I think it means to many other crossdressers.

"Passing" means that other people who happen to see you think they have seen a woman, not a man in a dress. Obviously, passing is more difficult or improbable for some of us than for others. If you're built like Hulk Hogan, you won't pass at 100 feet. Those of us who are smaller have a better chance of being able to pass.

If you're walking through the mall in six inch heels, a mini skirt and way too much makeup, you won't pass to most people. If you have size DDD breasts and no hips, you're not likely to pass.

So, my goal is to be able to walk through the mall, walk down the street in the business or tourist section of town, walk or sit in the park, put gas in my vehicle, etc. without getting cat calls, without people laughing or giving me dirty looks and without guys blowing their horns at me. When none of these things happen to me, in my mind, I have passed.