Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Attractive, or "Meh - take it or leave it"

Reine, a thought occurred to me while playing in the shop. If the only way to become female would be to either of the two women in your original question, then my answer would be "yes." At least with a little effort, one could try to look a little better, but regardless, one would still be female. However, that answer may be more of the type some who are TS might give. Today that could easily be me. Would seeing either of your candidates cause me to want to dress? Who knows, because I don't even know what the triggers always are. I do know that there would be some thoughts about how they could improve their image a little.

I think Carly is incredibly honest. It wasn't an insult. Many people do that to me just trying in their minds to help. " you need bigger boobs" " that dress is too young for you" and the classic " you know women don't sit (stand move talk smile laugh dance ) like that. And yet..I women do what I do.

I also hear women tell other women the same thing.

Anyone who says they want to emulate someone they find unattractive are not being truthful. We all want to look as good as we can
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

There are times that I feel one way and other times I feel the other way. It isn't a focus on attractive verses unattractive...everyone would prefer attractive. Sometimes being an unattractive female in a pretty dress would be fine...just being able to wear that dress is all I would like....without judgement from others.

Good question , Riene. For me, I am inspired particularly by the attractive women I was acquainted with in my younger years. Usually women I did not date, but wished I could.
    Men are highly visual. We like to look at attractive feminine women, (they know that). I would like to look like some attractive girlfriends of my friends, and some attractive secretary girls that dressed nicely for the office environment, from when I was 25. Models in catalogs--yes. Bridesmaids--yes again. Pretty hair, cute outfits, warm personalities nice makeup. I stared. I want to look like them, when they were looking their best. I just want to wear the clothes, shoes, hair and makeup of attractive women that I have seen. I have never bought women's jeans, nor even slacks. Not interested in dressing like the busy utilitarian women I see every day. However, I get a generalized warm glow when I am looking my best with a cute wig and dress. See avatar for one of my favorite outfits.

Woman first, Trans second
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    I think Carly is incredibly honest. It wasn't an insult. Many people do that to me just trying in their minds to help.
    There is a huge difference between acknowledging that women judge other women and my interpretation of what Carly said. We do judge - everybody does - but I don't know a single woman whose identity as a woman was ever defined by judging other women. Most of the women I'm close with (including myself) feel pretty damn guilty about how often we do it, usually in order to feel better about ourselves, because we were judged too. By other women, yes, but mostly by men.

I'm sorry if this is over the line, but IMO if you ever want to reassure a woman that MtF CDs are unquestionably men, just show them this thread (or the dozens with similar content).

Last I read, Carly is in therapy, considering transition, and hoping to be on HRT soon. I would strongly advise them to stick with the therapy and not rush into HRT, because I genuinely worry for anyone going into transition with such surface-level ideas of the worst aspects of womanhood defining, or even contributing significantly, to their identity as such. Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by Zooey; 05-10-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
    ...I don't know a single woman whose identity as a woman was ever defined by judging other women.
    Thank you. Those were the words I was searching for to sum up my opinion as to how superficial and misguided Carly's statement came across. Hell, yes, we all judge to various degrees. I am guilty of thinking on occasion "She would be more attractive if....". It is the connection of the judging of those who do not meet your standards and it making you a girl deep inside because of it that is the biggest problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Anyone who says they want to emulate someone they find unattractive are not being truthful. We all want to look as good as we can
    But that wasn't the question though. It's true that in my OP I used "would you want to "be" that woman", but this was in the contest of being triggered, as I've tried to explain ever since. The question is, would a crossdresser who sees an appealing woman while in guy mode, and who because of this feels a longing to go home and dress, have the same reaction when he sees a woman who is not appealing to him.

As to Carly's comment, I can emphatically say that when I see women whom I perceive do not prioritize wearing makeup, fashionable clothes, or other market trappings of femininity (and I do know many women like this), I certainly do not have opinions on how they can "improve" their looks nor do I mentally make them over in my mind. I respect them for who they are.
    Reine

this is supposition on my part, i feel im fairly fashionable and knowledgeable about fashion, so for me those types of thoughts would stray toward the the more well tailored or put together looking women if i was supposedly that female if say my brain were to be swapped with hers. now that would not mean that i would not be in jeans and t shirts or sweats most of the time, i would assume i would present fashionable more than i do as myself for it would be easier to attain my preferred look with less preparation and ease from having a better quality canvas to work with and these are preferred interests but are weird in my male gender.

as it stands for me at present i am how they say high maintenance, i did not win the genetic lottery of either side, lots of paint and spackle, no hip, forms and wigs, tad overweight, not obese corset corrected waist just to attain a blendy look, when dressed as my male side me i suppose is the equivalent to the jeans and t-shirt or sweats days in the above scenario. easier and casual, i have had those chasing after the kids, wearing no makeup and a burp-stained baggy shirt with sneakers days, though my gut was not from bearing a child. i like when i feel like the "attactive girl" and realize i am the "meh" nondescript girl in the library or the harried mom only my gender is mismatched.

seeing the women i find attractive does not give me the urge to run home and get dressed.....
    Last edited by mykell; 05-12-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fix
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I think that many cis gendered people will see someone of their sex, admire the look of the person, or envious of their body and want to be more like that. At least that is how it used to be anyway. I remember back in the 80's a lot of us guys were really into looking good, especially when we went out clubbing. I don't know if maybe it is a trend, or what, but what I see now of guys especially is really quite sad to me. Now granted, I am in a higher than normal area of hardcore toxic masculine types, and I just have a hard time thinking that a totally unkept look, with an inch plus amount of facial hair from cheek to throat is a look that women are attracted to. Maybe they are though.

So, for us who are cross dressers, we reverse it. We see a woman who we envy, a look we like, and I think for us, it is a bit of a trigger as well, plus those of us who are attracted to women, then its sort of complicated because we are wanting to look like or be, but also attracted to it as well. I would think that may be something that sometimes happens with gay or lesbian people???
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I didn't have a problem with Carly's comment. I thought it was interesting and honest. Interesting because we're all unique in this crossdressing/gender identity thing. What she is saying doesn't apply to me, but I don't see why she's being judged for telling the truth about her feelings. I don't see what she's saying to be negative, just misinterpreted.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    ......................To OCCarly Sexy Thang (the words on your avatar), forgive me for being blunt but you have a lot to learn about women. There are a great many things they feel are more important than looks or being sexy, contrary to what you might think. Their lives are rich with creativity, intelligence, work, study, family, loves, children, friends, spirituality, strength, giving, receiving, thoughtfulness, involvement in social issues, etc, none of which require being sexy or dressing like a fashion plate. And do you know why this is? Because they know that the people who matter see them for the women of substance that they are more than just a pretty thing to look at.
    i get that its materialistic, superficial, narcissistic, perhaps of carlys response, not very deep......but in this day and age when many women use theyre bodies and exploit theyre sexuality, theyre womanhood be it for personal gain, fame, to get a rich man, whatever.......real housewives of wherever, kardashian this or that, is it wrong that carly has come to feel this way and answer as she did with honesty.....miss america is the objectified vision of a women, most are well schooled, talented, ambitious, competitive and want world peace, they do this because they want to, they may have been forced when young and if they were most times its the mothers.....you asked she answered, was this a baited question, that avatar is a choice available from the forum. this is the MtF crossdressing section. men are pigs sometimes but women enable them too....so i guess some women are sexist pigs too....if carly really wants to be a "sexy thang" it would be her choice. you take it for what its worth....
    ....Mykell

Mikell, I don't want to send this thread into another direction, but let me just say that you are not describing average women. You're just describing a nebulous stereotype. The women that I see around me everyday (and the GGs who participate here) do not exploit their sexuality nor their womanhood for personal gain. They are average women who go about their lives working, going to school, raising kids, taking care of their responsibilities, etc, all while trying to achieve some modicum of happiness, just like the men that I know.

I also disagree with your qualification of men as pigs.
    Reine

Reine

Yes some woman do use their sexuality for some gain. Younger women will follow those stereotypes to attract a mate. Men will do the same. But some will just relax with themselves after the marriage.

I did the same when in transition and after, found it doesn't actually take that much. Attracted men but never could get into any real friendship. I got tired of all the chasing games, and let myself go for 25-30 years. Was in a mutual romantic relationship with another Post MtF so it was not a problem.

Even now that I started back into it at 65, it doesn't really take much to get men's attention. Unfortunately one also attracts the creeps or wrong men. The old adage of dress like others your age, doesn't work for me anymore.

In LGBT clubs will attract some Gay men, and have to explain my gender/sex. Plus the women are not sure what I am, because I pal around with a mix of CDs and Pre TG/TS. Have asked other Femme Lesbians if I need to tone it down. But they say dress and present how one feels comfortable.
    Last edited by Georgette_USA; 05-10-2016 at 11:08 PM.

sorry it was not my intention to redirect it as i saw it had already swayed a bit and wanted to add my opinion.

your right, you hang with respectable thinking folks and at classy locations.....not all are or do,
    these types of shows are not staying on air because they are unpopular, they have viewership,
    shallow people who fall for these stereotypes of women and men, not the average joe or jane.
    but theyre selling it and people are buying.

some men are pigs, some men act like pigs sometimes.....you must hang with a descent crowd.
    ....Mykell

Woman first, Trans second
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgette_USA View Post
    Yes some woman do use their sexuality for some gain. Younger women will follow those stereotypes to attract a mate. Men will do the same. But some will just relax with themselves after the marriage.
    The connections you're trying to draw here are just beyond fantastical. Deciding to try to make yourself more attractive to a potential partner has nothing to do with what OCCarly was talking about OR the original thread topic.

I don't even know what to make of the rest of your post, so I'm not even going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by mikell View Post
    your right, you hang with respectable thinking folks and at classy locations.....not all are or do,
    these types of shows are not staying on air because they are unpopular, they have viewership,
    shallow people who fall for these stereotypes of women and men, not the average joe or jane.
    but theyre selling it and people are buying.

some men are pigs, some men act like pigs sometimes.....you must hang with a descent crowd.
    Again, the connections people are trying to draw here are simply beyond reason.

First of all, that's either some crazy shade you're attempting to throw, or you are hanging out with some pretty intense people. Most women (and men) I know who watch those shows, across a wide range of ethnic/financial/educational backgrounds, KNOW they're trash. I have a lot of extended family is in Lousiana, and without getting too deep into their situation, I know some pretty damn ignorant and highly uneducated people. They know it's trash.

It has nothing to do with reality. It's entertainment. Hell, it's not even really the Kardashians' reality.

With all that said, I think I'm going to just retreat from this forum for a while, because stuff like this (especially when it comes from people who identify as women) makes me wonder whether some radfems I VIOLENTLY disagree with may actually have a point on occasion, and that makes me feel beyond dirty.
    Last edited by Zooey; 05-11-2016 at 03:09 AM.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikell View Post
    Maybe men act like pigs among themselves then, and this is a side they do not show to women in which case I would have rarely seen it?

And you're right, I do hang out with decent, average people. I've lived in the province of Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia, and in the US I've lived in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and my undisclosed state now that is in the southern midwest. I hang out with average people who have average jobs. I've lived in large cities and small towns. And I've traveled quite a bit.

The idea that women dress up like vixens to ensnare men like the Kardashians or Mad Wives is just a media stereotype. Real women don't act that way. There might be the occasional self-absorbed girl here and there (I did know one or two in high school who were full of themselves), but this does not describe the vast majority of women on this planet. Really.

I wonder how many members here share your views, and if so, why. Maybe I'll start a thread to ask.

But now we're really getting away from the topic.
    Reine

to a fault most times i will get burned for standing up for someone who has an unpopular position, i dont agree with how carly identifies with the topic, but i can simply see why she might see things her way, human nature, their is a shallow end to the pool, i have been taught their exists a deeper end as well....i feel i am in the deep end but im also empathetic to the ones in the shallow end, carly's opinion is not a reflection of how i feel....i tried to show some examples of why she could have that view, i do not personally watch those types of reality shows, to be honest just from the promotional stuff i saw their was no interest to try, on the other hand i could not watch "frozen" and it was wildly popular.

some education and compassion can help end the ignorance of our detractors globally as well as help those from within our ranks, just saying....i think i understand where carly thinks shes coming from, so i took it from where it came from, it did turn into a bit of a "dogpile on the rabbit"

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
    ........................Again, the connections people are trying to draw here are simply beyond reason.

First of all, that's either some crazy shade you're attempting to throw, or you are hanging out with some pretty intense people. Most women (and men) I know who watch those shows, across a wide range of ethnic/financial/educational backgrounds, KNOW they're trash. I have a lot of extended family is in Lousiana, and without getting too deep into their situation, I know some pretty damn ignorant and highly uneducated people. They know it's trash.

It has nothing to do with reality. It's entertainment. Hell, it's not even really the Kardashians' reality.

With all that said, I think I'm going to just retreat from this forum for a while, because stuff like this (especially when it comes from people who identify as women) makes me wonder whether some radfems I VIOLENTLY disagree with may actually have a point on occasion, and that makes me feel beyond dirty.
    "Most women (and men) I know " most people i know too, but some i dont know. (especially when it comes from people who identify as women) or "people like you"?

Maybe men act like pigs among themselves then, and this is a side they do not show to women in which case I would have rarely seen it?

And you're right, I do hang out with decent, average people. I've lived in the province of Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia, and in the US I've lived in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and my undisclosed state now that is in the southern midwest. I hang out with average people who have average jobs. I've lived in large cities and small towns. And I've traveled quite a bit.

The idea that women dress up like vixens to ensnare men like the Kardashians or Mad Wives is just a media stereotype. Real women don't act that way. There might be the occasional self-absorbed girl here and there (I did know one or two in high school who were full of themselves), but this does not describe the vast majority of women on this planet. Really.

I wonder how many members here share your views, and if so, why. Maybe I'll start a thread to ask.

But now we're really getting away from the topic.
    so you never met a "male chauvinist"......"gold digger"......the stereotypes exist for a reason no mater who gets credit for them they exist for a reason.

if you do start that thread i will not be responding, learned my lesson here,

i think i answered your question in post #83 but i also addressed what you posted in #68 and think the thread was a little askew before that.

the opinions here are not that of myself but i respect that they exist and the people that have them have a right to have them.
    ....Mykell

Silver Member
    Reine,

After reading more of your clarification of your question, and many other responses, I feel your question is an impractical question of an impractical meme. What I mean by this is that I have heard this quote about want to be the girl more than wanting to be with the girl many times, many places. I think that the quote has some meaning for some individuals, but I also believe it is a popular sound bite that sounds good so is adopted easily.

Let's look at the implications of the statement. It is clearly differentiating between sexual attraction and gender identity. In our world, many of us are very sensitive to being branded as sexual deviants, perverts, weak, and therefore bad and worthless people. So a sound bite that helps justify our choices as being more wholesome might just be popular.

I think you are getting a lot of blowback on your question because it also has a subtle judgemental tone to it as well. The implication that getting that feeling of want to be her only if she is beautiful smacks of accusation of being shallow and objectifying. It is extremely popular to accuse men of this, both in popular culture as well as real life. So men can be sensitive to this criticism, especially ones that feel like they are trying to avoid the "typical" chauvinistic attitude.

Ironically, CDS may actually (sometimes) promote chauvinism or misogyny inadvertently, even while trying to overcome the same. I think I get what you are asking, but I think the way you've asked it this time is too loaded to get calm and well thought out responses.
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 05-11-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Reality Check
    ............. As to Carly's comment, I can emphatically say that when I see women whom I perceive do not prioritize wearing makeup, fashionable clothes, or other market trappings of femininity (and I do know many women like this), I certainly do not have opinions on how they can "improve" their looks nor do I mentally make them over in my mind. I respect them for who they are.
    And that's what we all should do. Women have no obligation to spend an hour getting "fixed up" just to please strangers they may encounter during the day. Most of us don't shower and shave and put on a suit and tie just to go to the grocery store or the home center. We just throw on a pair of pants and a shirt and go. We dress for the time and place and that's a woman's right as well.

Basically, all the comments and complaints about women not trying to look sexy or trying to look good are "sexist". They are disrespectful to women and people making these comments should really sit back and think about what they are saying and what it means about their attitudes towards women.

Bottom line, women are people, not objects for men to criticize.
    Last edited by Krisi; 05-11-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post
    In our world, many of us are very sensitive to being branded as sexual deviants, perverts, weak, and therefore bad and worthless people. So a sound bite that helps justify our choices as being more wholesome might just be popular.

I think you are getting a lot of blowback on your question because it also has a subtle judgemental tone to it as well. The implication that getting that feeling of want to be her only if she is beautiful smacks of accusation of being shallow and objectifying.
    Meghan, thanks for your thoughts.

I can only go by statements made by CDers, who have repeatedly written here over the years that seeing an attractive woman awakens a desire to dress - not every CDer, but enough to be a consistently popular sentiment in this forum. My question was motivated by an honest desire to understand this and so I wondered if, for these CDers, their desires are also awakened by seeing women whom they do not particularly find attractive.

I don't consider this to be deviant behavior, nor do I believe that CDers who are triggered by attractive women are objectifying them. We all consider that some people are more attractive than others, including me, without criticizing those who are not as attractive. My question pertains to what may or may not awaken a desire to dress and I ask this question assuming that CDers are not at the same time critical of women they do not find particularly appealing.

The objectification you mention only comes into play should a CDer who is triggered by an attractive woman, go further by criticizing any woman for not being attractive enough and although this does happen apparently, I consider it to be a separate topic that maybe should be discussed in greater detail in a separate thread.
    Last edited by ReineD; 05-11-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    Reine

Silver Member
    Reine,

I deeply respect you, and value your input and questions. I did not mean to imply that you felt or even suggested that CDS are deviants. What I was suggesting is that some of us may have thin skins because of previous (mostly external) experience. So this statement helps some of us fend off those feelings. It is very common for members here to make statements about how CDING is not related to sexuality (or orientation). I see the statement as sometimes building that guardband. See this very attractive girl, I'm not really attracted to her, I just want to look like her. No, not attracted at all, see I'm safe, I'm with the program.

Certainly not true for everyone in every case, but I bet if one was honest with themselves, it might be a possible motivation for the statement.

If someone is TS, I am thinking they will take female in whatever form. But would also choose a young good looking one if the choice was available. CDers on the other hand, do not feel such a deep feeling of being female, or being one at all. Sooo.... the more attractive ones are the ones in which we wish to look like. It simply doesn't run deep enough for us to want to be any female no matter what.

Cis, trans, male, female.... I just do not think it is some bad thing to want to be attractive. To look nice. it can be destructive if that is all we think about, or spend our entire lives trying to be, or that we value ourselves only on our appearance. But to say, hey, It would be nice to look like that, and maybe even make efforts to look more like that, why the heck not??
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Quote Originally Posted by gendermutt View Post
    If someone is TS, I am thinking they will take female in whatever form. But would also choose a young good looking one if the choice was available.
    umm...... No. Simply, No. I'm quite happy with being me, my age, my characteristics, my face, yes even to an extent my body.

It is all just a hypothetical thought Kate. I am glad you are happy with yourself. I personally am not interested in just saying something politically correct, or some feel good answer or whatever. If there was somehow a choice for me to be better looking and 20 again, I wouldn't pass it up. And I would take my wife with me too. Oh to be 20 again. Obviously that is not reality. Still though, I am not going to be shy about the idea of me looking better or younger somehow if I can. I won't butcher my face to do so like so many hollywood celebrities. I simply care about my appearance, in male mode just as much as en femme. I will improve it if I think I can in small easy ways like diet and exercise. Grooming, skin care.

I find it odd, really really odd that those who are transitioning extensively alter their entire appearance, BA, FFS, Laryngeal shave, hair restoration, hair removal. But somehow the thought of wanting to look "better" is superficial, really?

Thanks Meghan, I understood what you were saying and was hoping to address the tendencies anyone might have to fend off a perceived insult.

Also, a continued thanks for all of your responses.
    Reine