Thread: Girl Talk

Girl Talk

I went to my Sociology class dressed the other day, which I have done several times now. The students are absolutely wonderful and I feel very comfortable.

Anyway, a girl that sits near me and her boyfriend walked out of class with me. She started talking about makeup, asking what I wear and making recommendations. It was really cool to talk to a gg about girl things, but with her boyfriend standing there I felt uncomfortable. More than that, it was difficult for me to sustain the conversation as I really don't have too much experience with makeup.

She was very sweet and I wanted so bad to feel like a gg talking to her, but instead I felt like an imposter. Still, it was a new experience as Christina to even talk to someone for a sustained conversation. I did take her advice and bought a more expensive mascara. Wow, good makeup costs a lot!

Going to class dressed has been a huge step.for me and it has worked out better than I could have imagined. The acceptance I have felt was absolutely unexpected and the instructor (a gg) is happy to have me in her class dressed.

It's too bad that I can't accept myself a little more, but when I walk back to my car I feel really good inside that I'm accepted as Christina.

Really nice post. Its nice your classmates are so accepting. Your efforts help us all. Thanks.

Self acceptance can take some time but it seems like you are doing well Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    I'm so glad that everyone there accepted you so well I ended up going to a few of my classes dressed in my last year, and for the most part I was well treated, but that was 9 years ago, and I think things are more liberal now.

So what did you wear? For me it was mostly jeans and a cute top, with a little makeup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

Glad you have an accepting place to dress

Silver Member
    Kudos to you for going to class dressed that takes a lot of confidence and nerve! Glad you are well received and those small talk with GG moments will become easier. I also get a bit distracted/intimidated around GM's so i don't think that is unusual. Part of that for you may have been a concern for him thinking you are moving in on his girl.

Marci,

I usually wear skinny jeans and a sweater of some sort. Of course with full makeup, tasteful, wig and forms. I like to be just another woman. It's funny how many people I pass without them even noticing. But, sometimes I do get the sideways look.

That's so awesome. You will find that as you gain acceptance from others you'll start giving acceptance to yourself. That's kind of the key -- give yourself permission to be you. I'm still working on it myself. Being around cis-gendered guys in a situation like that is kind of an "advanced technique." Don't judge yourself harshly if it makes you uncomfortable because it's very conflicting. Again, you have to accept yourself and keep in mind that you're on your own track. This whole social interaction thing is challenging because neither you nor they have good mental role models of successful cases. You're actually a pioneer. Do us proud.

You have defeated one big hurdle now go on to greater things.

You seem to be conducting yourself well.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Women are socialized differently than you were, so there is no shame in not being able to jump in the conversation like you grew up as a girl. These are the little steps and tests we face as we move toward femininity, talk about make up today, fashion tomorrow, purses the day after that. It takes time and you seem to be moving along just fine, congratulations and I hope you continue to find such good support.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.