Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who earns a Living in an Strongly Intolerant Business/Profession, How do you Cope?

Silver Member

Who earns a Living in an Strongly Intolerant Business/Profession, How do you Cope?

I do and most of the times I just chalk it up to ignorance and fear, but other times it is also saddening? I'm definitely in a worlds would collide circumstance, but good and bad is it pays way too well to switch.

Hi, my profession isn't so horribly intolerant, but my location sure is. Ignorance, fear, hatred. I call it toxic masculinity. round here if the woman got a man that ain't out huntin or hammerin, she got a girlfriend. I saw that on a social media meme btw. other similar ones. countless anti trans bathroom stuff, anti Caitlyn jenner stuff. anti gay stuff. Oxford Alabama??? No try upstate NY. I feel so out of place nowadays. Partly I am sure due to my own acceptance, but for whatever reason, perhaps socio economic reasons, there's been some sort of shift of demographics. Yes, there have always been many of the rural attitude, but the amount now living in the smaller cities, the intensity of it all is amazing me. I am trying to hang on until I can officially retire in a few years. I don't know if I am going to make it or not. Fortunately even though both my wife and myself are from here, she's just as eager to get out of this area as I am. Sad when home no longer feels like home.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

If discovered, I suspect I would have to find, not another company (as staff regularly swap companies and we all know each other), but a totally different profession
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    Not so much the profession as the area for me as has already been mentioned. It's horrible some days to hear some of the things people say about others around here. Backward and bigoted it's like living in the fifties around here compared to other places I have lived. Recently the local branch of large national chain store sent a guy here who is gay, he and his life partner moved to town. The lasted here less that two months before they were forced out of town by the intolerance.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I never did but I'm just wondering if this leads to a lot of personal conflict as to who you seem to be vs who you really are? Sometimes we need to make an honest assessment unless it's totally about compensation.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi Gen and all of you, It's rual America, it is the same where I live. I just read that one of the local school boards is being sued because their anti-discrimination policy allowed a TRANSGENDERED girl to use the girl's bathroom. That is just going back wards. When we are in times of change people are scared and fear anything that is different and move back to old ways that feel safe. It doesn't help when you have people like Trump with all of their hate running for president and people are voting for him, and he wasn't even the wurst of the bunch. Fortunately I don't think he will get elected, but we must make sure he doesn't.

You want to see intolerance! Get into the trucking industry and listen to the conversations in the driver's lounge areas. Alas, all I can do is keep my mouth shut.

You want intolerant. The owner of the company I work for fired his own grandson when he came out as gay. This is a guy who won't fire you for constant mistakes and doing damage to company property and customers property so he dosen't have to pay unemployment. Call out sick every other day come in high that's fine bit don't be queen in any way.

I am an out,full time girl working in the commercial marine world.11 years socially transitioning and redesigning my needs. I am a self employed marine engineer and build commercial fishboats and all of the related systems in them. I can't weld in a dress as I keep getting burnt,so I dress appropriately for the task. I get paid for what I know and do and am riding a good wave. People don't "know what to think of me" and that is just fine. If I lose any customers to my "being strange" then that frees me up for an accepting one ! Life is too short for me not to live as I feel...

Aspiring Member
    Pretty sad to read about all of these with exception to Rogina B. On I hand I feel the same. I have family to support and will do what I have to do. On the other hand, I feel ashamed of not doing anything about it. We can't expect the minds of people to change on their own, or others to fight our fights.

Silver Member
    I might be more up for trying to change people's opinions if I felt more confident that the backlash wouldn't also negatively effect the lives of my loved ones. I would consider doing that just too selfish and the attitudes I encounter seem so deeply seated that I doubt they could be changed. Also I really love the work I do, the adrenaline and positive impact it has on others.
    I like the phrase toxic masculinity and it confounds me that someone can believe they are the men of men and most macho yet they fear those who they claim are weak and wimpy????
    Some here may call me a coward but I'm OK with that because I KNOW otherwise.

@Sarasometimes...This little thread illustrates the difference between the two sides of this forum perfectly. If your inner self has to be your outer self,then you live your life authentically because you have to. Those that don't have strong GID can get by for a time suppressing it and pretending to be someone different to those around them. What works for one may not for another. However,I will say this..If your GID is getting stronger make sure you are redesigning your life and picking up friends that "May get it" when you decide to be out to them. Too many people thing they are going to flip a switch at the boy's club and be still accepted. You need a good support base and that takes choices.

I work for a religious group that wouldn't approve of anything transgender. I need the job and find it fulfilling most of the time, although the ignorance of some is very annoying.

Aspiring Member
    Everybody knows the area they live in better than I, but sometimes we might be surprised. I always thought where I live was very conservative and non-accepting. Then an outsider moved to town. The husband didn't dress girly-girl or wear heavy makeup but definitely moderately crossdressed. Hair was long and a unisex style, earrings, longer nails, unisex clothing and many times bra lines clearly visible. Never got to know him/her but saw the couple around town. So he/she did't dress as a glamorous woman but definitely dressed as a casual woman. Never heard a negative remark from anyone, other than "He dresses like a woman." They lived in the community for about 2 years with no problems. That from a community like many of you have described as being intolerant. Sometimes people talk to impress their friends and aren't really as bad as they seem. Doesn't make it right, but sometimes people are actually better than they appear.

Silver Member
    Rogina B you give good advice about planning if you think you are coming out. And yes some people talk tough but don't truly act that way. I know several that I encounter talk and act that way and as another posted, I generally ignore them but it is disappointing to hear.
    One reason I spend so much Sara time in salons and spas is because I find nearly all of them to be welcoming.

I am in construction and CD`ing is not there! But I live in the woods and get my Gurl on every chance i get!!!!!
    Tonya Rose This is me! (song by camp rock)

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Worked in the trucking industry for over 40 years and over time I saw more women come into the workforce.
    Being TG was not something I felt I had to mention to anyone.
    Truckers in general are just regular people and keep to themselves and pretty much live by this rule, live and let live.

Silver Member
    How does anyone cope in a profession they cannot crossdress while working - which are most professions - they don't dress. When did anything change? Most work environments are not conducive to crossdressing for personal pleasure. It is always best to keep crossdressing out of the work place.

@heatherdress...I did not answer in regards to crossdressing. I saw the thread as posing a question of living life in a non accepting environment. GID varies in intensity for most everyone. Some of us have a need to be ourselves and can handle the consequences.

Silver Member
    Rogina - I get your response and appreciate your thoughts and your experience. My comments were totally general but I have worked in some totally "super rigid" organizations and work places.

I do. We have only a few women here, most of them in office/ admin out of 173 employees, mostly macho men. I am in a smaller dept w/ only a few guys and when the conversation arises , I talk and educate them .
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I work in a commercial, uniformed, tool and maintenance environment. It's a large facility, owned by a mega corporation. The corp policy is zero tolerance with any gender discrimination. HR department is 100% female and my department head is female. If I were to disclose my gender fluidity, it would be fully protected. But, my professional stance is that of alpha male. It's a positive, take charge, uber-male attitude that my peers expect so I don't think my being a question mark would help. But, I've kicked around the idea of attending my retirement day as Carla.

Maybe not!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Platinum Member
    Hi Sara , spent 40 yrs. in the petroleum industry and showing up in a skirt and heels
    surely would've not ended very well......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just because you actually could come out at work or wear a dress to work doesn't mean you should.

I have worked offshore in the oil and gas industry as a commercial hard hat diver off the coast of Louisiana, Texas, Alabama and Mississippi. Very big ego's and not real accepting of my life style. I would love to live 24/7 as a female, but not going to happen as long as I work in my trade.