Thread: My next challenge - a visit from my sister's BFF girlfriend

My next challenge - a visit from my sister's BFF girlfriend

My little sister has a female friend who has been her "Best Friend Forever" since they were both about seven years old. I have fond memories of the girl coming over to my parents' home see my sister, and the fun things they did together - including sleepovers and participating in group activities with our family. More than 40 years after they met, they are still best friends.

This woman was like another little sister to me when we were growing up together. And honestly, if there had been a few less years difference in our ages (I'm 5 years older), and if she hadn't been inclined to think of me only as her 'big brother from another mother', I wouldn't have minded dating her myself, when I was still in high school. She got married soon after she graduated from high school, they've had a son and a daughter, and she and her husband are still quite happily married today. I haven't seen much of her or her husband in person since I moved out of the area more than 30 years ago. I last saw her and her husband when I was in Oregon for my father's funeral and interment at the cemetery, in 2012. We're Facebook friends (on my male side), and I consider her to be 'extended family'. But I have no romantic interest in her, nor does she with me. There is absolutely zero chance of anything intimate ever happening between us - first, because she is married and I have a strict policy against messing with married or partnered people, and second, because she, like me, is over 50 and probably not interested in being intimate with anyone other then her husband (and maybe not even with him, at her age). We're friends, but we don't see much of each other in person. I simply know her as 'my sister's best friend forever'.

Of course, she doesn't know about my feminine side... My accepting and openly expressing the girl inside me developed after the last time we saw each other in person.

Well, yesterday I got a request from her for a personal favor. It's the first time she has asked for a favor from me since I was in high school, decades ago. Her job is to help to put on some sort of educational seminars, and her work on those takes her all over the region, going to each town where a seminar will be held, with a team of other people, and spending a week there doing the seminar. Normally, they either put her up in a hotel, or arrange for her to stay with a family in the town where the seminar is being held. But in July and again in August of this year, she is scheduled to work at seminars in the town I have moved to, and her organization was unable to hook her up with a hotel or a host family. So she reached out to friends, starting with me, for crash space. She knows I am living here now, and that I have a lovely new home, with plans to be able to accommodate visits from friends. The town I am in is a good hour and a half drive from her home. Much too far to commute to the seminars from her home.

Now, I am certainly not going to turn her down. And she really won't have much impact on us during each visit. She would arrive mid-week in the afternoon, drop off her stuff and go to a pre-seminar coordination meeting with her team at the seminar site, and then to dinner with them, returning to our home after 10 PM. For the next 5 days after that, including both days of the weekend, she would rise fairly early, probably leaving before 7 AM and grabbing coffee and pastries on the way to her seminar, and not return until after 10 PM. We will set her up in our studio, which has a private entrance, a toilet and a sink, as well as a mini-fridge, microwave and hot plate. There is no shower or bathtub in the studio though. She will only need to come into the house to use the bathtub and shower next to my daughter's bedroom, or to use our hot tub in the back yard to relax after a session, late at night. It's possible that on one of those nights she might forgo dinner with her team and have dinner with us instead, if my daughter and I are open to eating a late dinner, after 7 or 8 PM. Or I might get to chat with her over a cup of tea after 10 PM, if I choose to stay up on one of those nights. But for the most part, we'll hardly know she is here, and she won't have much time to objectively look at me and notice any feminine aspects about me. She would leave on the morning of the day after the seminar.

For her first visit, with as little contact as she will have with us, my feminine side probably won't even come up. I can easily enough refrain from doing any girly stuff at the times when she will be at our home, and there will be no need for her to even look into my bedroom or bathroom, aside from an initial 'tour of the house'. At worst, she might get a good look at how little body hair I have now if I share the hot tub with her late one night. I'm expecting it to go similar to my last weekend's overnight visit with my two sisters in law and their husbands, in their town. No one noticed how my nails were done or that I had earrings, and my sister's BFF will see less of me than my sisters in law or their husbands got to.

The second visit could be more tricky. Saturday of that second week-long visit is the "Pride Festival" in my town. I'm planning on attending the Pride festival as Ceera, and probably helping to run a table there for one of the LGBT groups that I am part of here. There will probably be other LGBT events that week I will want to attend en-femme...

I can probably just time things so my 'girly time' is happening while my sister's BFF is at her seminars. Or if I do get back en-femme at a time when she is around, odds are good that she will be in the studio, and unable to see me arriving and going through the main part of the house and into my bedroom, to change back to male mode. The studio has no windows facing the driveway or the front of the house.

The challenge with all this will be that if she does notice my earrings and nails and shaved body hair, or catches me in other girly things or fully en-femme, what will she tell her best friend, my sister, who does not yet solidly know about my girly side? There's probably a better than 90% chance that by the time this lady arrives, my sister will have mentioned to her best friend the girly things my sister noticed on her own recent visit to my home, but didn't have a chance to talk to me about. Especially once her BFF mentions that I will be giving her crash space like this. I do not believe the request for crash space was initiated solely or even partially as a means for her BFF to snoop over here. But between now and the visits, my sister might ask her BFF to keep her eyes open and clue her in to what she might notice.

In a way, I hope she does at least ask about my nails during the first visit. Then, depending on how that goes, it might not be an issue if I choose to have a more girly polish on my nails for the next visit.

Life shall continue to be interesting, as I dance along the edge of disclosure. There is no need to force the issue. But if it happens that I get outed to my sister's BFF, I won't blame her if she tells my sister. I could hardly expect best friends to keep a secret like that from each other. Not when it is something about her best friend's brother!

Yes Ceera, That is a trickie one I hope it all work`s out for you! Best of luck.
    Tonya Rose This is me! (song by camp rock)

That really is a tough one. I have danced around the edge trying to glean information prior to disclosing, but nothing that could be construed that *I* was the person in question. If she's someone that's important to you, you need to realize that you risk changing the whole dynamic of your friendship--not necessarily in a good way--with this information. I doubt if she would just outright drop you as a friend, but she could distance herself if it makes her uncomfortable.

From my own personal experience, I have always *known* what their answer was going to be, or at least as certain as I could be without hearing it directly from them. Take your time--be sure it's what you want to do and that you're doing it for the right reasons, feel confident about the outcome, yet be prepared for what might happen if the outcome you expected isn't what you receive. :-)

I think... I hope... that both my little sister's BFF and my little sister are open minded enough to take it well if/when they do find out about my feminine side.

If my sister's BFF distances herself, I am not concerned. I'd be more worried about who else she might tell and how that could cascade than about her reaction. And honestly, I doubt she or her husband will have a problem with me personally.

As for my sister, what I really want to avoid is adding any more drama to her life right now. She has been getting more than enough drama from her kids and husband lately, and things are not likely to get any calmer for her until at least this Fall. My sister and her 4 kids will probably be cool with it, once they have had time to get used to the idea. But it could, at this time, be one more disturbance in their peace and harmony that they could do well without.

My sister's husband already dislikes me, for reasons having nothing to do with gender identity or orientation. He has told my sister that he would just as soon not have me around him. But he allowed me to attend Christmas Eve dinner at their home this last Christmas, and he remained civil to me on that night. So probably when he finds out, it won't really change much between him and myself. He'll just have one more reason he doesn't want me around him. I don't have any reason to present as a female at a family gathering. I am perfectly fine with presenting male on those occasions. But if he wants to ban me from future family activities that he is present at, even if I am planning to 'behave myself' and act entirely male, I could still see my sister and her kids at one of her kids homes, or at my home. It won't hurt me that much.

I am in no rush for disclosure to happen. I'm not planning on transitioning to full time as a woman, or doing anything that might make it difficult or impossible for me to present as a male. I am still planning to live at least part of my life as a male, switching back and forth between the gender roles, and I seem to have a pretty good measure of control, so I can choose how I present at any given time. It won't hurt me to remain in the closet as far as my sister's family gatherings go. I can continue to go to her family stuff as a male, and all they have to get used to is my wearing pierced earrings and that my fingernails look feminine.

Brother In Law can suck it! Not one you need to impress!He can kiss your ass and need`s to know That ..... He don`t matter.... Blood is thicker than water... and he is water...
    Tonya Rose This is me! (song by camp rock)

If I don't want someone to know, I won't let anyone with one degree of separation know. Way too risky.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I thought everyone knew about your girl side.
    My thoughts are to just be yourself, come and go as you wish, but maybe advise the BFF that she may see you dressed more feminine ????
    My kids tell me I'm not the best with advice - so they tend to ask mum instead.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

In the town I live in now, I pretty much come and go as I please and dress as I please - no real limits. I haven't gone out of my way to introduce my girly side to my new neighbors, but she isn't hiding at all, and several of them have seen her and even talked to her.

My sister and her family, and her BFF, and a couple of cousins and several other relatives, live about an hour and a half away from my home, in a nearby larger town and its suburbs. They do not know, yet. My sister has just recently seen and remarked on my pierced ears, shaved arms and girly nails, and on the fact that I have women's jackets and the like in my closet. But she hasn't had a chance to really discuss the implications of that with me yet.

I telecommute full time, so my co-workers have never seen me face to face. They have no way to know, while I am in phone meetings with them, if I am dressed like a guy, or like a girl, or in my birthday suit! I use my male voice, and they have seen pictures of me only as a male. A few of them have seen me in a female mascot costume, as a vixen, but not me as a girl in a dress.