Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bathroom bills and other laws , discussion thread

Non-binary/Questioning
    As Zooey correctly points out, appearance ('presentation') for both cis and trans people will get you questioned if you don't match up with someone else's stereotyped view of how a particular gender is 'supposed' to look. If you want to avoid issues, you either have to go with gender-neutral facilities (no questions) or with potty police (based on ID). The latter option, of course, puts pressure on trans people who haven't or can't obtained revised ID and on gender-nonconforming people (non-binary, gender-fluid, agender, intersex, etc.). The objections to the former are 'morality' (primarily religious beliefs &/or prohibitions) and fear-mongering. Whichever you choose, somebody will be discriminated against.

Incorrect. Refusing to allow sectarian views to gain the force of law is in no way discriminatory. Oh, not that a group won't play the victim card when forced to treat everyone fairly, despite their group's particular admonishments about "the other". We see it all the time, and it is depressing as it is devious.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 02-26-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Whoa, it's been a while and a question about Texas

Hi friends!

It's been a while! I've been dealing with all that life has to throw at me over the past year or so, which has kept me from posting, and largely from dressing, but I'm working my way back in. Very exciting.

Now for a question, I've got a trip coming up to the Dallas area, and I'm looking to make that my next outing as Stephanie. I've heard that TX is a very friendly state, but I've never been out there. Also, what are the bathroom protocols in TX? Seems like TX may be moving the way of my home state of NC in making bathroom use match gender on the birth certificate. Any info here?

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to reconnecting with you all!
    Stephanie

The bathroom law in TX is still being debated I believe. You probably have a bit before it gets signed into law, and after that it's likely to get hung up in courts for a while. Which isn't to say the locals will be friendly about it. Not sure what the local attitudes are like.

Come on down and have fun and use the restroom you identify with like all of us girls have done for decades, and yes Texas continues show their rear and we who live here cringe at what else they can cook up to try to pass a bill against

Yesterday they (TX legislature) were trying to or did pass a bill against using an Chillean emoji that looks like the Texas flag but is actually a Chillean Flag..............lawmakers are so focused, really they are......... we just need a few more tough law's to fix the emoji problems here in the native land

For the record I am not a native, and will bolt out of here when I can retire
    Last edited by Lauri K; 02-18-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Most places are very accepting. Obviously, don't go to the cowboy or biker bars. Otherwise most places very friendly. Check out Northpark mall, the crossroads ( cedar springs and throckmorton intersection). Rarely have any issues.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I go out here a lot but I'm not a night owl so my out time is to the vanilla places like malls and such and never had an issue
    Many of the major cities such as Dallas have local laws that don't allow discrimination against trans folks.
    So yes it's all good but as was said stay away from the redneck havens.
    Yes I've used the ladies room a couple of times in some local stores

LOl I wouldn't worry too much, places that are accepting are accepting those that aren't ...well you will know regardless of the law. Come down, and enjoy what we offer. If you are around for a GNO party coe join us, S4 the club is great and vernons on Wednesday is also fun...I transplanted from NYC and love it here
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Thanks, all! I do look forward to getting down there and getting out. I'm not one to sit inside, and while I may not pass, my goal is simply to blend. For me, there's no better feeling that fitting in and being treated as I hope to identify. Oh, and I have a small bladder! So, I do want to be careful there, and if I do need to go and use the ladies room, I want to make sure I'm not violating any laws. I'm definitely one who does her business, cleans up, and leaves.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I live south of Dallas but have gone to Dallas several times as Stacey. I've never had any problems and I always use the ladies room.

Stacey
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Come on down! Enjoy the major cities (mainly Austin, Dallas/Ft Worth, San Antonio and Houston) but I recommend staying away from the smaller cities... people tend to be a bit backwards (I grew up in a smaller VERY conservative city)

I've been to Dallas several times in the past year and they're pretty much like any other place -- most of the people either don't care or are friendly. Some choose not to engage with you. I haven't had anyone be rude or abusive. And, of course coming from New England and a background of Celtic cooking, I enjoy the fact that their food has flavor.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat (aka Jennie) View Post
    And, of course coming from New England and a background of Celtic cooking, I enjoy the fact that their food has flavor.
    Then you definitely need to travel a little further south, Pat. In the right neighborhoods here in Houston, you will get whiffs of everything from Tex-Mex to Cajun, Indian to Korean, depending on the breeze.

There are more languages spoken in Houston than any other city in the U. S., 160 I believe.
    I have never had an issue going anywhere in the large cities in Texas. Look nice, be friendly and go about your business.

All of you Texas girls! My goodness, I may have to relocate. It seems you are having all the fun! But truthfully, I'm very happy for each of you, albeit just slightly envious!

Brooke

Banned Spammer
    Be careful the new USA administration rolled back a bunch of TG protections and Rights like the bathroom laws.

I live in the mostly great state of Texas. Today I received an email from txdemocrats.org concerning SB6, the bathroom bill, with contact information to protest this bills passage. Obviously, this proposed bill bothers me for multiple reasons.
    First of all, if I'm dressed like a female, I would just feel more comfortable and secure (as I'm sure many of the other patrons would be,) using the women's facilities. There's a lot of rednecks here that would just love to kick a crossdresser's ass for being in the men's facilities while wearing a dress and 4" heels. So, there's the safety factor.
    Secondly, passage of this bill will cost the state losses in income and jobs. Our anal retentive state government has already dropped our economy from 3rd to 21st, since Gov. Abbott was elected in 2014. Loss of revenue from events, such as the NCAA, NFL, NBA, MLB games and tourneys, concerts, plays, and other entertainers, will surely happen here, just as in NC.
    It's the irrational fear and ignorance of these legislators that will be the biggest hindrance to equality for those of us in the LGBTQ community.

Message me if you'd like the email, with links, forwarded to you.

-Geena

Totally wrong that he did this as this is going 'backwards" not forward ah Mr. President its 2017 not 1917 !

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    How about this idea learn
    1. how to apply make up so you don't look like a hooker or drag queen.
    2. dress like the other women and not what you think is hot or sexy (you know what I mean).
    3. act more like a female and carry yourself with some class.
    Those things are all part of the attitude you need to have to blend.
    THEN going in the ladies room is no big deal because people will just see a lady going in and not some guy in ladies clothes skulking around.
    Use common sense is all I'm saying.
    I have not had any issues since all this stuff came to light and the laws have not stopped me from using the ladies room.
    Used them for many years so far and I'm not going to stop.

Sorry, Tracii, but I have to disagree, not with your points, but with your conclusion. Yes, we have been using the ladies' all along, and there have exactly zero issues. However, this proposed law and the irrational fears that spawned it are part of a dark and hateful agenda. Make no mistake. Some of these people would love to see you go to jail for daring to use the restroom that you think is appropriate. It is not enough that there are already laws against the behavior that they claim to be protecting their "women and children" from. Ironically, if this madness becomes law, it will hurt more children than it protects. That much is guaranteed.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Kelly those irrational fears have been there for years and they could scream the 'women and children' thing as well but did you ever hear about it before the NC thing? No.
    My key point is act like you have some sense when you are dressed and its less likely you will have problems.
    Whatever so called dark hateful agenda "law" isn't going to stop me so you do what you want.

Worth noting: today New Hampshire is supposed to bring a transgender rights bill to the floor for a vote. The House speaker is against it, so there's some question if it will get debated or tabled. New Hampshire is the only New England state without transgender protection.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I think Ive said this before. I look a bit passable.. Last time I went to a movie en femme. I had to go to the bathroom. Went into the women room thinking it would be full. But alas none in there. So I went to the stall and did my business and, washed up and left. No way would i ever go to a men bathroom and get my butt kicked by rednecks. Crazy stupid laws. If you are a girl you would look stupid in a men's bathroom.
    Part Time Girl

I live in TX and would get my butt stomped if I went into a mens room dressed. I have never heard of a CD messing with anyone in a bathroom. These laws are senseless and a waste of time and money.

Banned Read only
    SB6 was voted out of committee and released to the senate for a vote yesterday. After 20 hours of testimony, in which hundreds of trans people, trans youth, parents of trans kids, medical, psychological and legal professionals, allies, business groups, all spoke out against the bill, the committee passed it 7-1.

I wasn't able to be there, but I watched the livestream as lawmakers literally yawned as one of my friends told about being raped in the boys locker room in Jr high because she was trans. After hours and hours of absolutely heart rending testimony, the committee voted for the bill anyway. It will pass the senate.

SB6 is a North Carolina style bathroom bill.