Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Bathroom bills and other laws , discussion thread

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    I was going to say that that's a step in the right direction, but upon reflection it feels more sideways. If understand correctly, any restroom with more than one... fixture, is still gender specific. Yes?
    Yes. The reasoning for the ordinance was to accommodate the privacy of all concerned. It was in response to transgender persons trying to avoid confrontations with others. Washington State law does allow for any person to use the restrooms of which he or she identifies. That is not to say the law will protect someone all the time. Laying bloodied on the ground may have the aggressor subject to a hate crime, but, that is after the fact. Now at least there is no sign which appears to be exclusionary. Anyway, it was in response to the request of the transgender community. This also to the benefit of women too who may feel awkward using a restroom identified as "men's room."

Platinum Member
    Gov. Pritzker signed into Illinois state law the bill which requires all single occupancy restrooms to be designated as gender neutral and have signage to reflect gender neutral in a place of accommodation or a public building.

Surprised this thread is still going.
    All this time I have had no issues using the ladies room in Ky,Ind,Ohio and Tenn.
    Head Executive Chief of the Dept of Redundancy Dept.

Platinum Member
    You're lucky! From news articles I've read some women go totally insane when encountering what they presume is a male in a "woman's" restroom, especially if mom is accompanied by a daughter. Just about all the single occupancy restrooms I have encountered are small and have locks for privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    You're lucky! From news articles I've read some women go totally insane when encountering what they presume is a male in a "woman's" restroom, especially if mom is accompanied by a daughter. Just about all the single occupancy restrooms I have encountered are small and have locks for privacy.
    Like Tracy, I have never had more than a second glance turned my way in the restroom, and even that is rare.

We hear about incidents like that, but we never hear how they turn out. I believe that (if they actually happen), the vast majority end with the complainant being told to get over it or get gone. FWIW, I'm pretty sure that the oft-made claim that there has never been a successful prosecution of a transgendered person for using the appropriate restroom. That's because it's just not the issue that arm-flappers behind the bathroom bills would have us believe.
    Well, somebody has to make up that base of the bell curve that defines "normal".
    https://groups.io/g/gno-houston

Platinum Member
    In one of my previous comments concerning my city (Tacoma) the ordinance was enacted at the request of the transgender community. There is certain logic to the request. If the signage for single occupancy restrooms is gender neutral, then there is no basis for anyone to question anyone using the facility. As to never hearing anything about issues arising, there are instances. There were protests at the libraries in King County, WA during "Drag Queen Story Hour." According to an attendee some of the protestors were "guarding" the women's restroom. With the anti transgender rhetoric coming from the top protestors are becoming emboldened.

Anyway, making a restroom gender neutral eliminates anyone's claim on the territory.