Thread: Am I too old to transition?

Am I too old to transition?

Hi girls I am a healthy 72 year old cd. I am told I look around 56. I look much younger for my age. I don't think I need facial feminization just breast implants and maybe a butt lift. What do you think?

Cheers,
    platinumdoll

Gold Member
    The subject question is always no. Transition does not mean HRT or surgery. Now are you too old for either of them? Generally, I believe that age is meaningless and the only determination is a checkup by a doctor if you have any uncertainties. Then if you can, the surgeries you get are totally up to you. You have to handle your dysphoria in a way that settles your mind.

Thanks Sue. So it's not the age but the health factor. If that's the factor then I should be healthy for those surgeries. But will get checked by a doctor.
    Cheers,
    Platinumdoll

Amazing Member
    It is risky the older you are, for sure. More likely to have complications, which can be painful and expensive, even if the surgery is successful. At 72, I would not personally have any more surgery or major physical changes, even wanting them, but then that is me and also takes into account my health. Just saying. Not giving advice. I know a TS who had SRS a bit older than that, and weathered a serious complication until it cleared up, and ended being quite happy with the whole thing. BA also has risks of various serious complications. But I am talking about TS - it is also a big step going from being a CD to being a TS. CD is something you put on and take off, afterwards. Surgery is not like that -- you have to deal with the changes all the time, whether you feel like it or not. People will notice you have bulges up there or are wearing a bra, when you don't feel like going out CD. CD's making physical changes via surgery, is a rather new thing, and there is not a lot of experience with it, even for younger and healthier CD's. A few years ago, most surgeons would likely refuse to do it, if one is not TS. Even today, you might have to hunt for one who would accept a CD for that. And perhaps, that would tell you something.
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 05-20-2016 at 08:03 AM.
    NOTICE: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects or any other reasons, PLEASE BE WARNED THAT You DO NOT have MY permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or ANY forum posts both current and future. If you have DONE THIS or do IT, I MAY consider IT a violation of my rights to privacy and it may as a result, even be the subject of the appropriate action, including steps permitted under the law involving courts and lawyers. Why not ask for my approval and permission first?

I recently read an article which described the journey of a seventy something surgeon who underwent full SRS at about your age. I wish I could recall the blog or website where I saw it, because I suspect it would help you. I am only a bit younger than you, and have considered cosmetic surgery, so you're not alone.

I'm very very young, so maybe my advice is not the best, but I wouldn't do it. Health is the first priority, you should talk with your doctor and then make your own conclusions.

I'm 67 and have fully "Transitioned" as far as I intend to.
    I am on HRT, but only because my body quit making testosterone several years ago.
    I have lived as a woman and as sister to my wife for the last 3 years.
    We have never been happier.
    I would like to have breast augmentation but because of the costs I don't plan on having that done.
    But that is just me. If you are healthy and can find a Legitimate doctor that will clear the way, I would say to go for it.

If it was me, I would ask myself what I hope to gain at this point. You can still look nice without surgery or body changes.It has to be your decision in any case, There is a plethora of knowledge on this Forum alone if you do a search.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by platinumdoll777 View Post
    Hi girls I am a healthy 72 year old cd. I am told I look around 56. I look much younger for my age. I don't think I need facial feminization just breast implants and maybe a butt lift. What do you think?

Cheers,
    platinumdoll

The real question is HOW you transition. Identify what you see or feel as feminine. I'm 52, all male except for some self directed hormone courses...i've had students think i was 35. So I think i can pull off a good 43 or so...

Do you identify as 72 or as 56? Perhaps average and come out as 64? What are the distinguishing aspects of femininity at 64? If you do facial surgery- make sure it highlights a wise smile. Hide ears (size) with hair. Exercise always elucidates the human form. Do Yoga (yin yoga). lots of cute outfits for it... gentle exercise and yoga- i've done kung fu for 40 years. i look young. I can (and have) run with 30 year olds. Pussies. Butt lift? No- easy cycling. Give it a year or two- seriously. you will never change fast at this age- just make your decision and stick to it. it will take a year or two, but when it happens- you will be amazed.

You don't need breast implants or a butt lift to transition. Just start living as a woman full time if that is what you want to do.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    You don't need breast implants or a butt lift to transition. Just start living as a woman full time if that is what you want to do.
    How can one argue with that....!

First, everyone thinks they look younger than they are. And, their friends, being kind, will tell you the same thing. 'Oh, you don't look a day over [fill in the blank with the number 20% less than your age]. So lets throw that right out the window. Next, you have to decide what you expect from transitioning. We all dream of taking our place as a beautiful woman, sexy and glamorous. Nope. That's not reality. Now let the pink fog dissipate and discard all the compliments telling you how easily you 'pass', coming from other members here and friends. Put up any pics that you think are your best onto 'hotornot.com' and see what responses you get. THAT'S going to be reality.
    So if you're fine being seen as a regular homely old male to female transsexual lady, then feel free to go for it. Because that's most likely what people will see; they're not likely going to see a female impersonator that looks like a 75 year old Raquel Welch, a 70 y/o Cher, not even as good as any one of the 'Golden Girls', etc., and you're probably not likely to fool anyone into thinking you ever were a woman. Me, I decided long ago that there was no great difference between a life being a homely old man, and being a homely old woman......especially since as a TG/TS, you get the worst of both.

OK, that's the worst. Now if you can accept that, proceed to the line to the transition office.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Life is too short not to be happy. If you want to transition then do so. As Taylor186 said you can live as a woman without surgery. After living the 'real life test' for a year, if you want surgery then have the surgery. Best of luck!

Platinum Member

Absolutely Having The Beat Of Both Worlds

Hi Platinum Doll , I'm 73 and I've been in this program for over 69yrs.
    and I totally enjoy having the best of both worlds......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Thanks for your message. I appreciate your information. I want to ring the bell!
    Cheers,
    platinumdoll

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Hi there and thanks for you wonderful message. I identify as 56. Nobody ever guesses my age. If I look 56 as a make I wonder if I could look younger as a female.
    Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Platinumdoll

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Thanks for your message but are you saying you have crossdressed for 69 years. Not sure I understand.
    Cheers,
    platinumdoll

Banned Read only
    Platinum,
    If you're in good health now I would think very hard about risking major changes, no matter how fit you are the body does take longer to heal, and complications could set in. I realise what you're saying that you have nothing to lose.
    Maybe I'm slightly paranoid but I fear dementia, dealing with an altered body may become very confusing to someone with the onset of it .
    As Kate says how much do you think you will gain ? What big difference will it make ?

My main concern as I get older is to retain a reasonable shape and stay fit so I can enjoy my CDing as long as possible .

I would go on hormone therapy, do the twelve months as a woman and then see what your mind set thinks.

As for surgery I would be very cautious about it.

Hormone therapy will more likely alter your mindset and you may be happy with that.

See a therapist and a doctor and discuss it with them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by platinumdoll777 View Post
    Hi girls I am a healthy 72 year old cd.
    There was an article in the New York Times last year about people transitioning in their 60's and 70's. There are no hard guidelines, I guess, other than your current physical situation.

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    First, everyone thinks they look younger than they are. And, their friends, being kind, will tell you the same thing. 'Oh, you don't look a day over [fill in the blank with the number 20% less than your age].

Well put. I do look a little younger than typical, but the way I act- the energy- many students figure me for in my 30s. I'll take it. It's not an act, I just get into the teaching that I do. I do that with most jobs, without so much regard for the specific job, but the parts of the job. The problem is many others do not want to engage to that level and then they resent anyone else overdoing it. I can see their point, even though i thing it's a lesser desireable thing to do.

That's great! I look 56 in drab I would probably look 40ish in femme. I am young at heart as well. Good luck!
    Cheers
    Platinumdoll