Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you be the company TG spokesperson?

Would you be the company TG spokesperson?

More companies are being asked about LGBTQA issues and many may have a spokesperson for each category to be a champion or resource person.
    What if your boss asked a group for any volunteers to be the TG representative? This might mean you would be required to come to work dressed at least some of the time.

Would you volunteer for the chance to dress and be accepted by work environment? (You can tell wife you were picked and are being forced to dress for work, but that big smile and attention to your makeup might give it away

Thought it might be interesting discussion, since I can imagine it occurring. My boss had to respond to a reporter asking questions.
    Hugs, Ellen

That would totally mean every one would know that you were out and since I'm not and have to keep it then my answer would be no. The boss would need to find someone else.

Banned Read only
    Interesting post Ellen! For me personally, I think I'd have to 'pass' 😉

I've often thought about my HR department and whether they think about TG issues though. I'm in a very professional organization that's growing quickly and we're 'equal opportunity', and all the politically correct stuff and I don't doubt the VP HR has thought about the day, maybe thinking it's inevitable 😀

Heck ya! I'll be he talking head. Come to work dressed. Sure. I have to wear clothes anyway. Could be a hoot!

Cheers
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

For most employees it would be terra incognita. You would have to have thick skin as being open could subject you to ridicule or prejudice.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

If the company leadership and HR asked you to be the Spokesperson, anyone the ridiculing you or treating you worse would be in big trouble. A small company would not need a spokesperson, but a large one would have HR and Compliance and making a new TG spokesperson feel bad would be a bad career move.

Yes, you would be out, but would be allowed to dress. Certainly, people would treat you differently and may have issues. If you have a job where you face a lot of external customers, that is much harder.

Hugs, Ellen

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Catch hell off work but wow you would be protected at work.That doesn't sound like a fair deal.
    I guess if you have a fetish about dressing at work or if you can't dress everyday for whatever reason this might sound like a good deal.
    LGBTQA? When did they add QA?

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Tracii - Where did this say you would "catch hell off work?" - I didn't see that reference in this post. Or are you reading something else into this hypothetical situation? Maybe you are thinking that the other employees would give you a hard time outside of work if they knew the truth about you??

Oh and no, I have no "fetish" about dressing at work. I already dress in my gender non-conforming manner at work. Going that next step and occasionally coming in full fem could be interesting. So sure, I'd accept the position. But I do think I would have to say that they still would not be able to force me to dress or not dress. I can be a spokesperson for T concerns regardless of how I am dressed.
    Last edited by Nadine Spirit; 05-20-2016 at 01:08 PM.

My point is that if your co-workers know all about you, there is no guarantee how you would be treated when not at work. Your company's responsibility ends when you leave your place of employment for the day. They cannot and won't protect you 24/7.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Well being mostly just a CD I'm not sure I could be that good of representative, I would maybe consider doing it but have to admit not really being out to any coworkers might make it difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    Your company's responsibility ends when you leave your place of employment for the day.
    Uhh... from a bit of research, several online locations indicate that workplace harassment can take place on or off site, implying that it is the employers responsibility to curtail such behavior or else they could be liable.

Well yes... maybe... not... I don't know.... i'm not sure they would grant protection... or could.... there is more unspoken hurt in large Corps where people are downgraded for other things instead of what they are sited for because supv are looking for them.... been there done that with one of the biggest in the world.... and Leigh makes a good point about you must believe to some extent in the LBGT agenda before representing it in the expected positive way. Answering WIIFM is very important here on a personal and business venue.... because some of the downsides appear certain.
    Enjoy our new life and seek peace Give love and kindness to others Live patience, self control, humility each day

Silver Member
    We already have one on a corporate level, and it does not pay any extra. The whole TG policy is geared to transition, not CDing. There is no "part time" provision. They take this very seriously, as they should.

And BTW, if my boss actually asked for volunteers, that would be a serious issue. And if he looked at me, I would be very uncomfortable. Like I said, full time has full support, part time would be a problem for everyone.

Interesting as my take on "the whole TG policy," is that it is based on not being able to discriminate based upon gender. Thus for example, while my employers may not appreciate me coming to work with painted fingernails, they cannot say anything about it because they allow women to paint their nails. Thus in order for them to make it so that I cannot paint mine, they need to outlaw it for all. It really isn't the sort of thing that goes, 'well you are not transitioning so you can't ________, but people transitioning can and cis women can.' See, that's called discrimination.

I wouldn't be a very good choice, for three reasons:

1: I am not out with most of my family. While most of my family have no reason to know what I do while on the job, it still might get back to them if I took on a public position like that for my employer, which is a huge multi-national outsourcing firm.

2: I telecommute full time, and there are no company offices in the state that I live in. Any 'office visits' with me en-femme would require out of state travel, or would have to consist of teleconference meetings where I acted en-femme.

3: I am not full-time in my female gender role, nor do I have plans to transition to full time. I am MtF TG, but gender fluid, and will likely continue living with one foot in each world, presenting either way as my moods and the needs of the moment require. A position like that would be better filled by someone who is full time, out with their family and neighbors, and working at one of their employer's major office sites.

However, if my employer really wanted me to fill that role, I could, and I think I would be comfortable doing it. My employer has very clear and inclusive HR policies. It would certainly surprise all of my colleagues, who only know my male side right now. But they would accept it, and life would go on.

Silver Member
    Nadine, the policy is there to help protect LBGT in general, and definetly those in transition, including medical benefits ect. There is not any policy about nails, earings, etc. that specifically singles out gender, but there are dress code policies that deal with professional appearance, safety, hygiene and contamination. While the company is concerned about individuals dignity, it is also concerned with work place environment and decorum. This company is HIGHLY rated as one of the best companies to work for in the U.S. and internationally.

In fact, they participate in and sponsor the Annual PRIDE parade in multiple locations .
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 05-20-2016 at 03:46 PM.

So I suppose the difference then is that it appears as though you are speaking of a specific companies policies, whereas I am speaking of my state's policy that my company follows as it is not a specific policy in place for this company.

Silver Member
    Yes, big difference. Companies have a challenge with the policies. They have to balance individuals dignity and rights, while also protecting workers and themselves from harassment issues. One persons right to free speech become another's hostile work environment. So companies try to find accommodations where they can. The whole bathroom issue again on a microcosm. It's tough and easy to screw up.

I doubt it would happen as the original post described. But if it did it would be a means by which I could come out. Something to consider.🌺

Banned Spammer
    Nadine my point was while you might be protected at work there is nothing your employer can do when you are off the property and on your own time.
    I went thru this with an employee who messed with me at work. I was in the break room and this fellow broke bad on me and I grabbed his arm and rolled him over my hip and he landed on a table.
    We both had to go see the boss and both almost got fired over it. The boss saw what happened and knew I acted in self defense.
    This guy came after me at the truck stop after work and we got into it again. The truck stop owner testified I acted in self defense to the police. I told the boss what happened but he said there was nothing the company could do once we were off the property.

I would to think that I'm strong enough to say "yes".

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

*should have read* I would love to think that I am...."

Silver Member
    Just because other employees can't "harass" someone doesn't mean they have to "like" them and people can still cause them grief in other ways.

I am so glad I don't have to worry about those kind of office politics anymore *shudder*

This question has raised a lot of issues.
    I don't see an employer asking this question unless you come out to work colleagues.

Companies have different policies some of which can include your behaviour off site. ( it could be sales reps attending a conference as they as representatives of the company )

Many have diversity policies to prevent harrassment at work.

It could be an very interesting job depending on the company your with.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

In my last HR class harassment of a "transgendered "was covered extensively.and it was made clear no harassment would be tolerated.

Banned Spammer
    Wanda I used to work for the worlds second largest food retailer and they had a strict anti harassment policy and a trans positive attitude but I watched a warehouse worker get harassed for being a CD.
    A worker grabbed another guys phone and started going thru the pics and found one pic of the phones owner enfemme.
    He got harassed right on the spot and I was the only one who stood up and said anything. I got branded in the process so HR can say one thing and do nothing to stop it too.
    We both went to HR and the HR lady was a a deeply religious Pentecostal type and she wouldn't do anything.
    She took our statements and stuck it under the rug so too speak and never filed the papers.