Thread: voice training

voice training

Hello, and Good morning to everyone.
    If i can ask, any of you gurls, has ever done any voice training ?
    The problem, in my case is that my voice is very manly and i hate it when in girl mode, so i would like to mask it as much as possible.
    Open to any advice you all can give me.
    Thank you all
    Gilda

When I first branched out and met others, I was surprised that no one decided to speak any differently than how they would as men. Even those that were very serious about passing spoke that way.

However, I have since studied voice feminisation. I talk a little differently but not dramatically. Without going into too much detail I just raise my larynx and remove most of that chest resonance that defines a male voice. With a bit of feminine intonation/inflection it's about as passable as a female voice as I am of a female to look at - OK, but not great. It takes a bit of practice but it takes that male edge off your voice. My male voice is a bit pinched to begin with anyway.

You can look on YouTube and find good guides, but generally you want to work on that resonance concept and not just the pitch. When you hear actresses like Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren and Cate Blanchett speak you are actually hearing pretty deep voices. (And there are plenty of men out there with high but very male sounding voices.) The reason is because these women still have their larynx high and are relying mainly on nasal resonance. This is why women find it harder to speak when they have a cold.

Thank you for your advice Kelly,
    and silly me, didnt even think on looking for that on youtube....
    It is just that for me is important to be as much feminine as i can when i am dressed, so that brings me closer to the goal...
    thank you again
    Gilda

Aspiring Member
    I have a voice that sounds very much like that of a woman.

Many times on the phone I am perceived as a woman.

Sometimes when someone is not looking at me that will respond with m'am or miss.

I make an attractive, effeminate and passable woman so I want to perfect my voice to make it close to that of a woman's. My voice would be the first thing that would give me away.

So I do try to perfect it and check out different ways.

If I am going to be a woman why not sound like one.

Good luck !

thank you lovely madam, i want to work hard on that...as well as losing some weight, especially on belly and hips...but thats another story...
    thanks again
    Gilda..

Banned Read only
    Gilda,
    I found as Kelly did no one tries to alter their voice, I've had a persistent cough for years leaving me with a slightly broken or cracked voice so it's possibly lost some of it's baseness anyway. If you're a talker like me trying to keep up a false voice would be impossible . I guess we're back to this one , everyone knows what gender we are so putting on a false voice is only going to make people laugh and possibly make fun of you.

Thank you Teresa, for your advice....i will keep that in mind

I have an extremely deep voice. But I found if I use a southern accent it makes it easier to sound feminine. I don't know why this so. It just works for me. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

There was a MTF TS named Candy who had a series of videos on youtube back in 2008 while she was transitioning, in which he referred to his voice changing technique as 'sliding voice'. She took down her videos, most likely went stealth once she completely transitioned and didn't want to leave any evidence of her previous male life online anywhere. If you search perhaps you can find those videos somewhere. Perhaps internet wayback machine?
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have tweked my voice when en femme but not too much. But when I'm around other CDs hardly any of them put on a female voice, so I don't either. To me, it's like playing a role, but then you have to keep up the act.

Andrea James was the voice trainer in "TransAmerica" and offers voice training for those transitioning. Here's a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AHyLsgvZYo
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Like the others, I'm continually shocked by other CD's lack of voice modification. I feel embarrassed to try my practiced fem voice on them.

But, around Halloween at vanilla venues when I've passed? I've tried it a few times. Apparently it needs MORE WORK!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The female voice sounds terrible but I keep trying.

Silver Member
    Daviolin
    I don't try it but the southern accent does work, y'all.

Has anyone tried singing with female vocalists? Would this help you practice holding the range higher? I don't use a feminine voice while talking, so I can't tell if it has helped me talk differently, but it seems like I have a range different than my usual voice sometimes, and not just a falsetto.

I've had some success with an iPhone-based program called Exceptional Voice App (http://exceptionalvoiceapp.com) I suppose it appeals to me because it's pretty geeky in its approach. It takes a lot of effort and concerted practice though and when I stop practicing I backslide. Most of what I've gotten from it is a realization that I have to keep my voice up in the "mask" area and not let it resonate. Since it's never been my intention be mistaken for a GG, I'm not trying to "pass" so much as just not create a jarring dissonance with my look.

If I have a "needs a lot of work" issue, this is it.

It's a little bit of a downer to listen to some of the youtube tutorials, and get to the end, only to find out the subject is a singer or voice artist of some kind. I've never been good at any of that, and do lousy accents.

1) don't talk in falsetto, sounds like Mickey Mouse
    2) Raising the pitch of your voice about a 5th should be enough unless your male voice is in the sub bass frequency range.
    3) Speaking in a higher range is only part of it. Women talk different than men (softer, inflection, vocabulary, etc.)
    4) Some women have low voices.
    5) IMHO, the more you feel like a female, the more you'll talk like a female
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

One technique I picked up of the inter web was to sing the scale starting with Doh set at the lowest note you can manage. Then work your way up as far as Soh or La. Your femme voice should be somewhere around there as far as pitch goes. It won't be falsetto which as Ressie says makes you sound like Micky Mouse. What you should find is it's just slightly higher than your normal male voice but without being too strained. It also gives you a way of getting into femme mode quickly. It's easy to quickly sing the scale to yourself before starting a converstion and hence have a fixed reference point.

After that it's a matter of softening the voice, altering the tempo and the point in any sentence where the main inflection sits. Easy eh, what's stopping you?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed