I get down sometimes, myself. Then I remember something I saw on TV. It was about a gay character, who worked in a conservative republican political party. When asked how he could possibly support that group, his answer? 'Yes, I'm gay. But that's not all that I am'. And being a crossdresser isn't all that we are, either.

So yes, I'm a crossdresser. But that isn't what I let be the main thing that defines me, even though most other people would definitely use it as the primary descriptor whenever they think of me, if they knew. So, I just don't tell them. It's none of their business. I have interests that don't involve crossdressing. I meet friendly people there, share plenty of good times. And sure, life would be nicer if I didn't have to avoid mentioning anything about my gender struggles, but that's just the way life is. And we have to make do with what we have, and what we are.

Alice, I know you're financially strapped a lot. But surely there are things you can do where you can meet other people that share some type of interests. There are all kinds of things in the world that people do for fun that don't cost a lot of money. Interested in the election at all? Contact the local support group for your favorite candidate; you're guaranteed to meet SOMEONE who feels the same as you do on some topics (I'm doing this currently, and most of the people there are much younger, and their energy rubs off on me). Like kids? See if there's a local library or somewhere where you can read them books. Boy scouts? You don't have to be a real outdoorsman to do that, the other scoutmasters each have specialties, all you have to be is basically handy. Have any skills? Use them. Out of work? Hire yourself out to do simple domestic stuff for singles who work. I hated having to dust and do all the simple chores around the house. Do it for a few spare bucks off the books. I think you'd be surprised that you have skills that you can use. Do you still have a car? You can hire yourself out to take people without cars, to the market or stores, or pick up their kids after school. No, you won't get rich, but as you now know, a few dollars can make a big difference.