Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post
And how do you expect a stranger to make the distinction? It's an honest question.
They can't in many cases. This is why CDers should continue to do what they've always done, which is to use their instincts and common sense about when they feel comfortable using the women's bathrooms. An example: my SO is not TS and we've been out for many years. My SO will not use the bathroom in a packed mall on a busy Saturday afternoon if there is a major Girl Guide event going on (an exaggeration, to illustrate). We will make other bathroom arrangements. And if perchance we absolutely need to buy something there on that day before the mall closes - say there is a one-day only blow-out sale on an item we absolutely need, there is the option to go in male mode because my SO is not full time! TSs on the other hand do not have the luxury of switching back and forth.

But a completely different issue is how to redefine "M" and "F" legally. Should it include people who dress part time and if so, how do we get the rest of the US population to agree, including the wives of the CDers.

The legal redefinition of "M" and "F" is a separate issue from who actually uses the bathrooms ... provided we get rid of the "you cannot use the bathroom unless your genitals match" rule that I think is only specific to North Carolina and not other states. This does make it illegal for CDers to use women's bathrooms there and right now this is also true for all transitioned TSs who have not had SRS. This needs to change.