Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many posts about "Why do I crossdress". My question is why should we care?

So many posts about "Why do I crossdress". My question is why should we care?

I don't think that not knowing *why* one enjoys something is a problem. Do we know why anyone enjoys anything? Why do some people enjoy licorice and some people hate it? Why do some people enjoy heavy metal and some people hate it? No one has an internal conflict about why they hate wearing suits while some other people love wearing suits.

The difference is society says that crossdressing is *weird*, or *wrong*. Because we feel that it's something we shouldn't do, we look for the reason that we enjoy it so that we may eliminate the cause and be "normal".

So, ask yourself: "Is my crossdressing *wrong*?"

No? Good! If it's not wrong then why should we worry about why we have this desire? Just let it be any other part of your personality, like any of your other passions in life!
    -Lucy

I have never worried why I do it. Enjoying dressing was enough for me.

The only time to be concerned is if it negatively affects ourselves or others.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

For me the why arises because my wife understandably finds it hard to reason why me the man wishes to wear dresses etc but you're right in saying that we should just enjoy this as we do any other pastime.

Aspiring Member
    I questioned why when I came out to my wife. I never really thought about it until my ask why. I have always thought it was a little weird, but I have always been a little off.
    Sara

Well I can say as the circumstances of my being what I am have put me in a situation where no Im not hurting anyone anymore or myself, I have accepted myself, I am happy, I do my best to help others. So No Im not wrong. Has this cost me? I think Yes would be the honest answer. I had a lot of conflict inside for a long time, Yes thats gone, I think the conflict likely put me more into this situation I have now than the dressing itself, Thats something to think about there. I will add if you dont see the pain this can put into another person, Im talking about the Woman in your life then you better think again. I would like to add to that, a very good friends advice should come into play here. She said I would want to know upfront.
    Mykaa is me! Discovering Peace throughout from the Girl within.
    David Bowie "Don't stay in a sad place Where they don't care how you are..."
    Disturbed The Light "The truth is waiting there for you to find it
    It's not a blight, but a remedy"

Platinum Member
    Hi Lucy , For me, It's just who I am and it's just what I do......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly James View Post
    My wife understandably finds it hard to reason why me the man wishes to wear dresses etc.
    I'm by no means saying that you should ignore all the others in your life just because you have come to terms with crossdressing being a part of who you are. The thinking in my original post extends to those around us. Would your wife question why you, for example, want to spend a night at the pub with your friends rather than do the housework? She may not like it, but she won't question your desires. It's just part of your personality. (I use this example because a healthy relationship is about compromise. You might do the housework and then go out, keeping all involved happy. As with crossdressing she may not like it, but with compromise it can work.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mykaa View Post
    Has this cost me? I think Yes would be the honest answer.
    Just because crossdressing has the potential to cause hurt in a relationship doesn't mean it's wrong or any different from other hobbies. For example, I ride a motorcycle. I bought the bike when I was still with my ex partner, and let me tell you, it cost me! Both financially and in terms of friction in a relationship.

I agree that it should be something you know upfront . I told my current partner after our second date. It's all part of communication. Imagine if I bought a motorcycle home without discussing it first! My ex would have likley been an ex much sooner!

I am interested in the "why" of many things, including why I am a crossdresser. I don't worry about it and it's certainly not because I think it's *wrong*. I am happy as I am and wouldn't change if I could, but am curious about this rather peculiar fascination with wearing feminine clothes.

Banned Read only
    Lucy,
    It takes a long time to find out it's not wrong the problem is convincing others.

It isn't that easy when you're married with kids , a mortgage round your neck and a business to run, if it gets in the way of all that then it's hard to prove it's not wrong.
    I don't have a problem at all now about who knows, because it's part of me which is never going away.

As you said, the current US society says it is wrong/weird, and that influences those around me whose opinions I care about. I may no longer feel it is wrong, but if the people I care about will no longer interact with me the same way (or not at all) then I do wonder why I have this strong desire. This helps me weigh the costs of my actions, to see if any alternative might replace the basic need, etc.
    For someone who will not expose others to their crossdressing, then there may be no conflict.

You wanted a motorcycle, and your partner would prefer you did not have one. Society did not care. You probably thought about why you wanted it, knew it would interfere with your interactions with your partner, and weighed the costs/benefits of doing what you desired. So in my opinion, similar, except it was one person and not many including 'society'.
    So if society changes, then we could crossdress as easily as choosing to eat licorice or not.
    Hugs, Ellen

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I gave up trying to find the "why" quite a while ago. However, I'm still trying to understand the "what" and "how" parts of it now. Regardless of the reason I want to do this, I need to understand what the impact on my life is and how I can make it work the best. "Where" it fits in to the rest of my life and the lives of those I care about (and recently those who don't understand and dislike me just for who I am), is worth time and effort as well.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I eventually got over "what's wrong with me? I shouldn't be doing this." I still am curious as to why. "I was born this way" doesn't do it, lacking proof. No answers so far, just theories.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Until science is done that can explain this, there will be no satisfying answer as to "why?".
    I think there's two main reasons we ask this question over and over:

1 - we want to justify ourselves to others
    2 - we want to justify ourselves to ourselves

It reminds me a little bit of my (thankfully brief) experience with cancer. There were literally years of struggling with unrelenting symptoms, and test after test after test. I was sick and nobody could figure out why, until one day they found the answer and the answer was that I had a tumor on my pancreas.

Sort of like how I struggled with gender issues my entire life, beating my head agaist one "test" after another to validate my maleness, until one day I found the answer and the answer was "because I'm trans".

THEN the relentless search for "WHY?" sets in ... Just like it did with the cancer ... "What? You're only 34, you been smoking? Drinking too much? Eating wrong? Is it environmental contamination? Why, why why??"

Same damn pattern as with trans stuff ... And also just like with cancer, it kind of just doesn't matter. The point is, you're in this boat now and you can learn to paddle or you're gonna be stuck until you do.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

As long as it causes you no distress, there is no particular reason to look into it other than curiosity. If you do go on the journey of self discovery, I suggest only accepting those reasons that reinforce and amplify the behavior. Otherwise you might find that knowing takes all the fun out it. Some days I wish I had my delusions back. You could end up singing "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" from that song by that guy.

But I know why I crossdress. It's not something that can be put into words though.

I put on a dress, wig, and forms, and look in the mirror. When I see myself, I know why I crossdress. It's not a thrill, it's just an overwhelming feeling of "correctness." I know, for certain, that this is absolutely the right thing to do.

Well said, Cynthia!
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I sometimes think it's funny that I get so much enjoyment out of looking like a female. At others, I regret having this compulsion!

My ex says it was behind our divorce. Even tho I only began serious about it after we split up.

My live in adult daughter doesn't want see, hear, or talk about it.

After all is said and done, how bad can it really be?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gold Member
    I like cross dressing; However society is strongly opposed to it in general.
    If it where generally accepted for a man to wear a skirt or a dress, I would
    wear one most days in my every day attire.
    So now how do we rewrite the rules of who wears what.
    Rader

Aspiring Member
    I have asked myself why I do it for years and am no closer to an answer. But HOW I do it has changed. I am not trans but I almost always wear a bra and forms when I wear a skirt or dress. Why? No idea. Don't care. I used to go out dressed frequently and was permanently in a professional toenail colour. It is a couple of years now since I got a pedicure and I hardly ever go out dressed - partly there is a reluctance to mislead people about my gender. I can do the feminine walk and voice but I no longer want to. I go with the flow because I can - it is so automatic to come home from work, shower then wear the full outfit less make up and wig that it no longer occurs to me NOT to do it. I have stopped trying to understand and get on with life - in a dress.
    Last edited by susan54; 06-09-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I gave up on the why a few years ago but there are still others like those we have relationships with would love to know.
    Trouble is if we did know would it make a difference and would it make us stop, most likely no.
    It is what it is and yes I do find it strange sometimes but now I just accept the fact I'm a crossdresser

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think some people love to express they are going thru internal conflicts because its the "in " thing to do on social media.
    If you don't have "issues" in this snowflake mentality generation going on right now you are not part of the in crowd.
    Kind of a left over of the EMO phase so many snowflakes went thru growing up.
    Me saying that may come off as cold but holy cow get over yourselves life isn't easy and it never has been.

I agree no it is not wrong I wish that I could dress and live as a female full time

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I think some people love to express they are going thru internal conflicts because its the "in " thing to do on social media.
    While this is certainly true (both in the cd community and in the wider world), I think that mentality can actually be extended to partners. They choose to blame all the problems in a relationship on the "issue" that their partner has. They use crossdressing as a scape goat, and hence want to uncover the cause (because unlike desires and personalities, mental conditions have a "cause").

Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity666 View Post
    The difference is society says that crossdressing is *weird*, or *wrong*. Because we feel that it's something we shouldn't do, we look for the reason that we enjoy it so that we may eliminate the cause and be "normal".
    I think you hit the nail on the head there and this is why we keep asking the question through so many different threads. While a fair number of members on this site have gone out and met other CDers in various get togethers, most of us are still very much in the closet and out only to a very few, if any. This inevitably leads to a sense of isolation. Am I the only one that does this? Whiy do I crossdress and I don't see or know of anyone else that does it? This website has become our support group. It is our network and connection to others. And while we may never really know why we crossdress and most other men don't, at least through this forum, we have the ability to relate to those who do. That provides the affirmation that says - yes, it may be a little weird (by the rest of society's standards) - but I'm not the only weird one, so I guess it is OK.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-11-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote