Thread: Went to a support group for the first time

Went to a support group for the first time

I went to a support group for the first time last night.My daughters Shawna and Hailey went with me and I thought it was cool of them doing this.Shawna is 20 and Hailey is 18.They looked at me and said I am a normal dad in life being asked how I am like.This support group has crossdressers and transgendered people in it and I am starting to love it.I have also met new friends in life also.One new friend is Debra,she is a part time CD and we plan on going out Saturday night to know each other.Shawna and Hailey were asked which television character Lisa is like also.They said Gloria on Modern Family and I said that is true.Debra also had her two sons with her as well,they said she is a normal dad in life too.I was welcomed in right away including Shawna and Hailey.

So what do you do during this group session?

We talk about issues what is happening in our lives and to know each other.My fiancé Alexandra is coming next week and there were SOs there as well.

Sounds like you found a good group, my 1st experience wasnt what Id call good. Congrats on making a friend to hang out with, Im jealous lol.
    Mykaa is me! Discovering Peace throughout from the Girl within.
    David Bowie "Don't stay in a sad place Where they don't care how you are..."
    Disturbed The Light "The truth is waiting there for you to find it
    It's not a blight, but a remedy"

I am in a country city and it has an LBGT group that I joined and we do lunches and activities. But I think I am the only CD in that group. Lol

Good for you Lisa, good to have a friends like that.
    Part Time Girl

Great support from your family and SO. Sound like you are in a good place. 🌺

very cool that your daughters are on board and went to the function with you.

i go to pflag support on their trans night, family and friends, last time one of the moms came to say hi and told me i looked beautiful, almost couldnt fit my head though the door on exit i was so pleased by the comment.

glad you found a friend, thanks for sharing....
    Last edited by mykell; 06-15-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

It great you found a support group and your kids are supporting you. Our local support group isn't that good anymore. I hope yours continues to be a great part of your life.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Hi Lisa,

Really pleased for you that you've had such a positive start to joining a support group & fabulous that your family are supporting you as well as Debra getting equal support from her family. I very much want my next step to be joining a support group although my home circumstances aren't necessarily going to make that easy.

Best wishes,

Molly.
    Just be who you wanna be - even if only for a few hours here & there!

Another new friend is Lori and she is a part time crossdresser as well.Met at lunch,Lori and I got to know each other.Lori says I am lucky.Lori is divorced and her only son does not want to see her dressed as Lori.Her son is 17 and her ex wife was not supportive.Lori says I am starting to become a great friend in her life.I told her she is not alone,I went through 2 divorces and 3 break ups with my crossdressing in the past.Lori's past is like mine,bio parents kicked her out when she was 12 years old.Was lucky that her Aunt Luann took her in and has a better life now.Lori asked me to go out with a couple crossdressing friends and herself tonight and said sure.Asked if my fiancé Alexandra is welcomed to go too and Lori said yes knowing Alexandra is supportive.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Glad you have a great experience.

Banned Read only
    Lisa,
    I can't help feeling this wants lights flashing and flags waving , I'm so glad you've posted this.

I know these meeting aren't for everyone but they do serve a useful function , I can't think a negative reason not to attend them, I'm not sure if I would want to take my son or daughter to attend but it's great your daughters went and supported you .

Gold Member
    I would love to go to a support group. I have heard about some in the Chicago area,
    however, I do not go out dressed. I would love to attend, but I was told that being
    dressed is a requirement.
    Rader

Banned Read only
    Rader,
    I can't answer for any other group but the one I attend doesn't have that requirement , some may come directly from work , the hotel does have changing facilities.

Lisa,

So pleased it turned out so well for you. Hopefully the start of a prolonged association and friendship.

I'm closeted, I only get to go out fully enfemme on rare occasions as I've testified numerous times. What I would say is attending a CD group is one of the best things I've ever done in my CD'ing career. For anyone else considering going to a group I would say do it. You will meet people like us. You will find you're not alone, certainly not strange or weird. Your experiences are shared experiences.

As Lisa says, she and her daughters was welcomed and so will everyone else. Don't be home alone.

Rader,

The groups I've attended will take you as you come. If someone continuously turns up in drab I would hope for all our protection they make sure they're not some voyeuristic individual but that I feel is not a reason for attending at least your first meeting.
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 06-15-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

My daughters say Lisa is like another mom in their life.Lori and I did go out tonight and she told me that I am a great friend knowing I went through the same rejection she did.Said I am finally lucky that I have my fiancé Alexandra in my life.Met her other two crossdressing friends Melissa and Nicole also and starting a friendship with them as well.Debra,she did come over to my place and did meet my fiancé tonight.Debra has a supportive GF,Alley and started dating 4 weeks ago.Met Alley and she is one nice lady.My fiancé knows Alley very well,went to school together.

Glad you found a good group!
    I joined my first support group three weeks ago. Friday is my first meeting at a restaurant and it's a drab meeting. 10 or 12 couples have rsvp'd. super nervous