Thread: The ultimate rebellion is happiness

The ultimate rebellion is happiness

A few days ago, I was listening to NPR and they were talking to a survivor of the recent shooting in Orlando. He mentioned how he was going to another club, and the interviewer asked if he was afraid. He replied with, "the ultimate rebellion is happiness. I'm not going to let the violent actions of one man, scare me away from what makes me happy."

His remarks struck a chord with me. So later that night, I'm sitting at home, nails are all painted, I'm wearing my forms, and I'm lounging in a pair of capris. I decide to have a bite to eat, but nothing at home looks appetizing. So I decide to go get something. I start switching back over to male mode so I can go out, but that man's words come back to me.

So I instead grab my keys and wallet and just go. Screw fear, I'm going out into the world the way I am, cause I'm not gonna let fear control me. Yeah, the dangers are real, but a life lived in fear is hardly a life at all.

I'm pleased to declare, nothing bad happened. No strange men tried to beat me up. No weird looks. No sense of danger. I went out. Got my food, went home, and ate it.

So let's hear your stories of when you decided to "rebel" and be happy the way you were.
    You may call me Adam, Adyson, or Ady, whichever you prefer.

I am unapologetically me. You can accept me or reject me, but you're never going to change me.

Maybe you will be at PRIDE this weekend?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Maybe, if I can fit it in between helping a friend move, fathers day, and a wedding.

I think two suicides, including Robin Williams, impacted me the most to get off my butt. And right now with time alone am determined to give it everything I got.

Sounds great that you were able to confidently go out with no fear. I'm still not quite that bold myself, but a big milestone was when I finally told someone about it, a close friend. It was an incredible relief to get it off my shoulders and actually be able to converse with someone about it, especially since she was so supportive. It's a special bond that we have now.

Aspiring Member
    When my friend was diagnosed with cancer, it struck cord with me too. I remember, the next night I was getting ready to walk out the dog in my neighborhood, I said f....it, without changing back to drab and just walked out. Since then, I do it quite frequently...