Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Went to a trans support group, but got weirded out and left...

Gone to live my life
    Hello,

I am glad to read you gave it another try . . . support groups are a great place to find some common ground with others, make new friends and get used to being who you need to be. First steps are always the hardest but once you get used to being out dressed when the feeling takes you, it will get easier.

Cheers

Marcelle

That's great! It's nice that you can go to your new support group, dress, and be comfortable.

I did go to one in my area for a while. We talked, everyone was open about dressing- but no one else did, other than me. After a few meetings, with me being the only one brave enough to dress, I stopped going. The general talking points at every meeting seemed to focus on the shame they felt about dressing, nothing positive. It felt more like an AA meeting. I suppose some groups do that. But I wasn't going there to sob in my beer about dressing up.
    I don't dress up because I want to be a woman, I dress up to make me happy.

If we hang in there and endure, we are sometimes pleasantly surprised.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Wow, just wow! That was the nicest post I could imagine. Well done. 🌺

Quote Originally Posted by marlacd View Post
    After a few meetings, with me being the only one brave enough to dress, I stopped going. The general talking points at every meeting seemed to focus on the shame they felt about dressing, nothing positive. But I wasn't going there to sob in my beer about dressing up.
    The monthly meetings I go to don't have any talking points. Although dressing en femme is required, dressing rooms are available for those that can't change before arriving. We just hang out and have fun - anyone can start a conversation with others about pretty much anything (haven't seen any sobbing so far). Ages have ranged from 21 to 80!

Congrats to you Emily for taking this step.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Read only
    I'm glad you went again. I think you'll find it rewarding.

Banned Read only
    Marla,
    The first meeting I attended was a buffet and dance to celebrate the groups fourth anniversary , so I went in a long ball gown. Only one person came in drab since then I enjoyed putting my outfits together for the next meeting, I never dreamt of going in drab. There is a cross section of the TG community so our conversations have a very broad subject matter. It's also great to talk to the wives and partners but no one is down beat and shameful. Ressie's description is similar to mine , yes I do enjoy it , it's totally changed my attitude to CDing.

Twelvest,...,
    I've just caught up with your update, I'm so glad you've found another group and have discovered new friends.
    It's very refreshing to talk to other members of a TG group, it doesn't matter where they are on the spectrum everyone treats you on equal terms . It's also good to chat with partners, and hearing their side of the story on how they cope with the situation. It's helped me because I can now have conversations with my wife about how other wives are living with the situation, and coming to terms with it.
    Last edited by Teresa; 06-25-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Awesome, emily! So glad to hear you got out dressed and attended a meeting where you were able to connect with some other girls. Thanks for sharing the update, and best of luck to you moving forward!