Thread: Pumpkin Spice

Pumpkin Spice

So this is semi CD related. At work this morning I was saying how much I love autumn beause everything becomes pumpkin spice flavored. Apparently this is a "girly" thing? News to me. I've enjoyed pumpkin spice everything my entire life without giving it a thought. One guy even asked me if I'm actually a girl inside. In the most deadpan way I could muster, I responded "Yep, sometimes." If only they knew!
    This seems to be a common thing with me. I once dated a girl who told me that I should stop eating Special K because it's only for girls. She wasn't around for too much longer after that. Bring on the pumpkin spice and special K.

So you've discovered that you're even girlier than you thought!

Good! *Sips pumpkin spice coffee with legs crossed*

Picked up a couple Pumpkin Spice candles at Walmart yesterday. After Halloween or Thanksgiving, I switch to Fresh Fraser Pine! I love scented candles.

That's not back. A while ago don't ask me where it came from and where I herd it, but this came out of my mouth to a co-worker. "Suck it up buttercup". Wow should of seen the look on his face and mine.

I was given a box of pumpkin spice pancake mix. I made a batch once. Once was enough. It wasn't bad, just not as good as regular buttermilk pancakes.
    Pumpkin spice isn't some exotic magic powder. It's a blend of common spices found in most home kitchens.

Reality Check
    I don't believe girls have to like certain things and boys have to like different things. If you like pumpkin spice, that's your choice and your co-workers are wrong to call you a "girl" because you like it. It's a bit of a stretch, but that could be considered a hostile work environment. If it continues, it would be.

Personally, I don't really care for it. Not because I have a penis, I just don't care for it.

Yeah, I have a little difficulty believing there's a gender connection to pumpkin spice flavor. But I can't refute it because I do like pumpkin spice flavor. There are some places where it is just clearly wrong -- beer for example. (And the pancakes sound pretty dicey too. )
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

OMG you really are a girl.
    Angie

There's a lot of memes out there about this but the most common one goes like this.
    "Say pumpkin spice latte 3 times in front of a mirror and a suburban white girl in yoga pants will appear and tell you everything she loves about fall."
    I don't like pumpkin spice but I do wear yoga pants.

Jen

I agree with Krisi.

The type of comments directed at Ellie are sexist - pure and simple - and are indicative of how we as a society have become brainwashed into viewing everything through a gendered lens where doing certain things are acceptable for women(girls) while others are generally restricted to for men(boys), and any deviation from the "norm" is met with a raised eyebrow or a "Hmmm..." It is this type of stupid shaming that causes so many of us CDers to question why we feel the way we do, obsess over how we can be "authentic" while leading this double life of ours so as not to freak out our friends, co-workers, or family member, as well as deal with this societal-induced irrational guilt and shame.

Women are much better at dealing with this type of B.S. head-on in demanding equal rights, and often going where no woman has gone before when it comes to formerly male-dominated professions, occupations, industries, sports or other activities including active combat service in the militaries of many countries. No reason, then, why we cannot opt to partake of "girl world" in equal measure where it suits our temperament and lifestyle choices. The only thing stopping us is ourselves.

So by all means, enjoy your Special K breakfast before heading out to the local Starbucks drive-thru in your "chick-mobile" while wearing a pink shirt, order up your pumpkin spiced latte (or whatever), dig through your "manbag" or "murse" for the required change, and give the middle finger to whoever sees fit to give you a hard time over this.

Well now the Special K thing I can KINDA understand because the marketing campaign in the 80s basically portrayed it as a "diet" food for women. (That said I love me some special K). As for pumpkin spice? I can't stand the stuff but I've never heard of it being a specifically "girly" thing.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I know nothing of this Pumpkin Spice, but seriously, can anyone live on small pieces of cardboard in milk aka Special K? I think it's for sadists

Sounds like some of your workplace colleagues are standard morons though...unfortunately. I have to say fruit teas in the UK are pretty much a girl thing, but I stand to be corrected...ish
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I like the smell of pumpkin spice like in a candle but not the taste! Special K is like eating rocks!! Can't stand it!! I want my Cheerios muscle!! oops that wasn't very girlie was it? Hog wash eat what ever you want! If I like the taste I will eat it just as most every male or female!!! You eat whatever your momma cooked!!! LOL Hugs Lana Mae

I don't consider Pumpkin Spice to be a fem thing. It's just a fall thing for me. Just like the Pine candles are a winter, Christmas season thing.

Read this before ordering a starbucks pumpkin spice latte. Eeeeew!!!
    http://foodbabe.com/2014/08/25/starb...n-spice-latte/

PSL!
    Ya I have to admit, pumpkin spice latte is the best, not sure if its Girly or not. Just got one yesterday

I actually love my coworkers to death and I took no offense to those comments at all. They all have hearts of gold which says something about how people can be super nice without a cruel bone in their body, but still feel uneasy about something they just don't understand. I suppose it's one of those things that will just come with more education and exposure. I'm pretty confident and secure in both my masculinity and femininity so I'm able to step back from a situation like that and just laugh at how absolutely stupid it is that certain things are paired with being girly or manly. I routinely reject pretty much all classifications like that. "You must be some kind of a sissy girl unless you drive a huge monster truck and eat steak for every meal." That's only a slight exaggeration in my experiences and I just feel so sorry for people who are that narrow minded.

Silver Member
    My first reaction is I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin rolls, and cake, but other than that, it's over played, like bacon everything.

Jenn is right on it about pumpkin beer. But every year, someone will gift me with a six pack. I'll smile and say thankyou, but yuck!

Special K? Don't ruin a treasured childhood memory for me. My sister and I staying overnight at great uncle Leo's and a late night snack of special K with honey, circa 1970.

Pumpkin spice goes back to colonial America days and muster bread, if not further. Ginger, cinnimon, nutmeg and some times clove.