Thread: A positive coming out story :)

Aspiring Member

A positive coming out story :)

Yesterday we went to visit family- brother, sister and my folks. My siblings and I are all in our 40's and get along well, but not super close. I think one of the big issues in the way of having a close relationship with both my siblings is that I built a wall around myself out of fear of being read and them discovering my big secret I was ashamed of.

While at my folk's house, I asked my wife if she cared if I told my sister about my other side. She said it was up to me (we've talked about it before). Fast forward about 30 minutes; I walk outside and my sis asks "do you shave your legs?" (I shaved them 13 years ago when I was road cycling- I think I roads 5 centuries that year and I shaved them last week for the first time since then.) My mom said "because of the biking" as she walked inside. My wife looked at me and quickly walked inside; I could see it on her face she was thinking "oh snap, here he goes".

So just me and sis.

me: I'll tell you the real reason if you promise not to tell anyone.
    sis: of course, tell me.
    me: I've been a crossdresser my entire life, and I'm definitely trans.
    sis: [wide eyed, staring me in the eyes]. Are you with me?
    me: [eating a piece of pizza] No, I'm dead serious.
    sis: Are you sure you're not with me?
    me: Nope. It's true.

We have always had a sarcastic relationship amongst our family. You need to have thick skin, but we do all love each other. There's never been any bad blood amongst any of us, so I get why she thought I was screwing with her.

We talked for a while. Told her about getting caught by my dad a couple times, and how he never mentioned it. She gave me a heartfelt hug, told me she loved me, and how bad she felt that I had to hide that side of my life forever. She was very sweet, and I told her how I felt like I had to put up the wall between us because of my perceived need to hide, and that prevented me from really getting close to her. She remembered dressing me up for Halloween 20 something years ago and asked why I undressed pretty quickly and told her I was uncomfortable. I told her I loved it but it was subterfuge, and how I snuck that same skirt out of her dresser a bunch of times after. She laughed.

There was some joking too- she laughed and asked me if I wanted her clothes- I said maybe I told her one of my regrets about not accepting myself much earlier and a result missed out on time being close to her and opportunities for us to go out together shopping or wherever. She thought that would be cool. She and my bro are closer and she thought he would be fine with it, and he would probably think I was screwing with him too.

So all in all, a very positive experience. I love my sister, and I'm really looking forward to becoming close friends with her. She is my only confidant outside of my wife. Oh, and she said she had NO idea and never would have suspected.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-27-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: don't bypass the word filter

That's a beautiful story, Nikki! It sounds like the relationship with your sister will have a new dimension going forward. And probably some shopping! I'm happy that you have another outlet now--good luck as this develops!

That is a positive coming out story. Thank you for sharing it.

Your family sounds a lot like mine, only maybe a little bit cooler. If I ever reach the point of telling a family member, it would probably be my sister too. Of course, then she might remember some pantyhose that went missing 40 years ago and then I'd be in trouble.

Banned Read only
    Good on you Nikki

That is a positive story, thanks for sharing.

Your sister is a winner. Great story!🌺

Awesome story. Good for you. I hope to tell my sister soon.

Wow congrats Nikki! I am in awe of you! I've been toying with the idea of telling my sister, and can only hope that she'll respond in such a thoughful way. Look forward to hearing how things develop with her and your family

Sounds like a great outcome

Silver Member
    Nice story. I'm so happy for you. It must feel so great to know you have someone within your family who now understands you and has your back. Who knows how many others in your family will understand and accept you, but you know for sure you'll always have at least one. Interesting how its almost always the females who are ready to accept us, much less often the men.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Pretty cool conversation. It must have felt good to talk about it.

Great story - thanks for sharing. I am also considering telling my sister. She is dealing with breast cancer again and I felt the time is not right.
    Hugs, Ellen

I thought it would be nice to come out to my sister. I think she would really like the idea of having a sister. My wife cautioned me that there is the probability that she would "confidentially" tell her closest friend and from there it is a slippery slope. I still might tell her someday.

On a different note, my younger brother (one year younger) and his girlfriend came for my wedding in April. We live a great distance apart and do not see each other often nor do we talk often. His girlfriend was showing my wife some pictures on her iPhone and scrolled through a picture of my brother en femme. My wife noticed that my brother was a bit peeved by that. My wife said that he looked really good. What a hoot! What if we both have the same "hobby"? Note to self: purge phone of any photos not fit for the public!

So great to here a positive outcome like this I am really pleased for you. It's great your sister sounds not just accepting but very curious, hopefully you stay closer from now on.