Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to live that's CD/TG friendly.

Where to live that's CD/TG friendly.

If you had the chance to live anywhere in the United States that is the most CD friendly where would it be and why?

I work for myself and work from home. That allows me to choose where I want to live. Currently I"m in central Florida. I really don't consider this area to be the most friendly towards CD's but its not bad either. Actually I live just a few miles from where the Pulse Shooting happened a couple weeks ago.

I'm considering moving to an area that is ultra CD friendly so I can explore my fem-self. I do like going to cd friendly clubs & bars and having an extra good time. I consider myself very flirtatious and love dressing like a very sexy female with short skirts and always 6" platform heels. I love going out to cd friendly bars like this...while I"m 50 years old, when I put those cloths on, heels on, wig and makeup on I feel 20 years younger. Most people I meet will guess my age at least 15 years too young.. that's me and that's how I like to be when out in public... knowing that where do you think would be good area to move to?

I"m only a part-time cd but would like to venture more into a full-time position.

Thanks for reading,
    Lori.

Anywhere one can build community but no matter where. Support is necessary. I like my hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico, which has excellent support for lgbt folk and a separate Trans Parade, getting popular.

My trans daughter moved to Oakland, CA for the general acceptance of LGBTQ individuals.

I would say San Francisco is the most LGBT friendly city I've ever lived.... I have lesbian friends with kids and leading a peaceful family life... But it is expensive to live there. Oakland, CA is an alternative, but you've to be careful where you live.... there will be neighborhoods you have to avoid, but generally anywhere in the Oakland hills is good, and is a short BART (train) ride to SF....

I've been told that Seattle is very CD/TG friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristy2 View Post
    I've been told that Seattle is very CD/TG friendly.
    I've heard that about Seattle as well. I"m not sure if I could live in Seattle though, I like to have a few days of sun during the year

California would be an obvious choice being they've got San Francisco plus California is a very liberal state. Only problem as said on here, very expensive. Also very high taxes. I've lived 15 years in Florida, we don't have a State Income Tax which is a big deal when deciding where to move to.

About a year ago someone told me that Atlanta, GA was becoming known as a "gay city", when I first heard that I laughed. I thought Atlanta, and most of Georgia was pretty much 'red neck'. Anyone else hear that Atlanta is becoming LGBT friendly? One person said its become the next San Francisco which I find hard to believe...any thoughts?
    Lori

I have a transgender friend in Atlanta and she says it is like here in Jacksonville, fl (she is originally from here). It all depends on what area of town you are in, but as a whole Atlanta is not all that CD/TG friendly compared to other large cities.

I live in wenatchee ash,about 2 hrs east of seattle and i go over there to dress etc the wnatchee valley is still pretty conservative , however those of you who move to seattle leave your sunscreen home and carry a generous supply of wd40 as over there you rust not tan

Banned Read only
    Here in California the Coachella Valley is pretty good. It includes Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, etc. and my current home of Cathedral City. To me, yes, California is somewhat more expensive in general, but my progression was Ohio -> Illinois -> New York State -> California. ALL are in the top 10 of the most expensive states.

We retired here for the strength of the LGBT community, the warm weather (we had 121 a couple of weeks ago, but the winters are wonderful!) and a strong health care community. Many people come here to retire, so that draws the health care professionals. The previous mayor of Palm Springs estimated that probably 1/3 of the town is gay. Their new mayor is gay. The mayor pro tem of Rancho Mirage is gay. The transgender community has gained a lot of traction in recent years and there is about to be a state-wide organization that is intended link all of the transgender groups in the state. I will be at the inaugural meeting next Monday evening.

I go out to various events, meetings, movies and grocery shopping. So far, so good. One grocery store that I frequent has had both DeeAnn and Don as customers. My grocery store card and my credit card says Don, but I have not been challenged when presenting as DeeAnn. People just seem to be fairly relaxed.

DeeAnn

I live close to Portland and would consider this city to be fabulously accepting of us....
    Besides the few LGBT bars here, I've been out en femme to the symphony, a few plays, shopping and even a Firestone repair shop with no issues that bothered me in any way, comments or cross looks....
    Highly recommended...

Austin Texas is about as liberal as they come. The unofficial city motto is "Keep Austin weird."

Personally, I've been all over the US en femme, and the only place I've felt uncomfortable is in rural Missouri. (Not sure why.)

Provincetown Mass and Key West FL.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I've been to Provincetown twice and while there are many TG and gay people living openly, I didn't find it very welcoming. There seemed to be a very strong clique-ishness and lots of trash talk every time my SO and I went to restaurants and bars. Even our B & B host was hyper critical. I had hoped to be able to dress and go out but after seeing the open hostility I put Anna back in the suitcase.

As far as Seattle, we are extremely accommodating to the LGBT community. PrideFest this year was phenomenal. Like any large city,however, you have to be careful. We just had a TG gal assaulted recently.

Oh, and the comments about our rainfall. Seattle's average is 38"/yr. Providence RI is 47". Miami is 62". Birmingham AL is 54". Cincinnati is 42".

Banned Read only
    That's odd because Fantasia Fair has been held in Provincetown since 1975 and people talk about having such a wonderful time there. Very curious...

DeeAnn

Have not been there yet but Asheville and Charlotte in NC are said to be the safest bets. Just watch those bathrooms!!! LOL Hugs Lana Mae

I just moved to Seattle about a year ago and have found it to be really welcoming to LGBT folks. You see trans folks on the street and in the community way more than just about any other place I've lived.

And the rain thing is way overblown. It's definitely a little gray in the winter, but it doesn't go below 30 degrees then and the summer is gorgeous and sunny and not too hot. I think they keep the rain myth going to keep too many people from moving here. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Helen 2 View Post
    I live close to Portland and would consider this city to be fabulously accepting of us....
    Besides the few LGBT bars here, I've been out en femme to the symphony, a few plays, shopping and even a Firestone repair shop with no issues that bothered me in any way, comments or cross looks....
    Highly recommended...
    So me and the wife have plans to portland in a couple years (not for this reason, the area is beautiful and so it the weather and the healthy green farm to table). I found a statistic a couple months ago that went "#1 LGBT area, san francisco (big surprise).. #2, portland. Ya baby!

Anywhere in eastern MA or New Hampshire. Western MA gets kind of rural... farmland and such, so it is a touch more conservative, but not by much. Provincetown is pretty much an LGBT town (focus on LG) so is Uber Safe. Cambridge is right off Boston and is also safe. I live in Worcester.

I also need to throw out Austin Texas. Probably the only liberal haven in the whole state... but I wouldn't live in Texas for love or money.

- Kitty / Moose
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Long Beach or West Hollywood, I'm about 20 minutes between both.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

Only problem with Massachusetts is that, unless you have a very good job, the cost of living is outrageous. I had gone up there for about six months to help restore an old house outside Boston and I was like how the heck do people afford to live here. Everything was so darn expensive.

Ann Arbor, Mi!

I love P-town, and clearly it is very LG friendly. But I haven't seen much TG or CD activity there, and it has kept me from opening up when visiting. Perhaps I'm not going to the right places at the right time.

Try Portland Or, you would have fridnds. Besides I am here👌 Hope you find a fun place, let us know where you land. Take care, Brenda

I like living in SoCal, but just about any blue state would probably be more friendly to LGBT people.

I flew United recently and the airline magazine had an article about Santa Fe, New Mexico, including pictures of two men who like to wear dresses and skirts openly. Following up, I learned that Santa Fe prides itself on its lifestyle openness. It is nicknamed 'Santa Gay'.