Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything special about Daywalking?

Banned Read only

Is there anything special about Daywalking?

Well, yes, I think there is. When out in the daytime, there is less ability to hide. No shadows, plenty of people, so naturally it seems more intimidating to the part timer like myself. But, there is a huge upside: women are out, often alone, and not out of place. The term "hiding in plain sight comes to mind. Going out at night, alone, is like having a spotlight on you.

The real challenge for us cross dressers is how to use enough makeup to hide the beard shadow but not look "made up." Then there is the outfit, casual and daytime go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I just got back from errands and a bite to eat and as always, nothing happened. I got one double take from a young lady. A kind of "I wonder..." look. The more common response was a smile and "Hi."

Here's me in a casual skirt, simple top and a baby wedge. I had on only mascara, and lipgloss. Simple, casual jewelry. No spotlight hit me, I swear.

Get out in the day time if you want to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing special, you own it, I own it...it's all good.

Now when are you going to run some of those errands in SoCal???
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Daywalking is the best!!

Banned Read only
    It is Nadine. But for you, why?

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    It's normal. I remember the first time going out, I chose the middle of the day. Admittedly it was Hollywood Blvd, but still the middle of the day. Oh and I was a hot MESS back then! I look back and laugh at how I looked. Unfortunately no pictures! Anywho.... I would never go to Hollywood at night as a male, so it never occurred to go at night as a female. Actually, I thought it would be far worse to go as a female.

I really don't go out much at night regardless of how I am dressed. I'm 44 and I act like I'm twice that age! I like dinner by 5 and in bed by 8:30!

Really though, during the day, most people are just out getting things done, living life, doing normal everyday things. I like going to the movies, or out to eat, or museums, or wine tasting, or shopping, or CostCo, etc.... all normal daytime things.

Besides, all the normals are out during the day, and I am just as normal as them, right?

Banned Read only
    I think so

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Spirit View Post
    Besides, all the normals are out during the day, and I am just as normal as them, right?
    Stop it! Normal people freak me out!

Banned Read only
    Jen,
    I still have to get to that one. I know it's big difference to going out and meeting a group socially and just getting in the car and stepping out in the daytime.
    I've been thinking about it more but it would need to have a reason, like meeting someone over a coffee or a meal rather than just forcing myself to do it to prove something.
    Unlike you my wife wouldn't approve so it would have to be out of my area.

I like your casual look , I know it would have to be a skirt or dress for me, I am getting use to exposing more of my upper body in female clothes but I know it's more of a give away . Larger hands, tighter skinned, more muscled arms and shoulders, I guess the art is wearing something attractive enough without going OTT to distract from the male features.

Absolutely ! 😎 The first few time I ventured outside, I was nervous. There's a small park nearby that has walking paths and a lovely little pond with a bench. I go there with a book and read. The fresh breezes feel fabulous. Occasionally a jogger will run by, but I just continue reading. We live in a small, nosy town, in which most women dress very plainly, i.e. no, or little make up, capris or shorts. So to blend in, I don't wear anything flashy. I usually wear a bra, panties, sleeveless blouse, and capris with hip & butt pads, sandals, a touch of makeup, small earrings, a touch of light perfume, etc. (certainly no hose 😟 Sad). I'm never totally relaxed as discovery would be a disaster. I, happily, have a totally supportive wife, but she worries about me being recognized, a car accident, etc. to which I agree, but the more I go out, the easier it becomes.

If you can't be happy (dressing outdoors), then what is the point?

Wow - I never thought about it but the 'hiding in plain sight' logic makes so much sense. I never considered I might draw more attention alone at night. It'll take a lot for me to work up the nerve, but I may have to try this. Thanks for the inspiration Jennifer.

Elizabeth

My god Jennifer! Do you always look beautiful in everything you wear? Love the skirt! I do both day and night, the daytime is more exciting, have to be a little more careful with what I wear to blend, and spend more time with makeup. But yes daylight makes me feel more exposed and open to inspection. No hiding, that is why I tend not to over do it, just want to blend. My goal is to been seen but not noticed I would love to just sit in a park and read a book, I think I will give it a try. Do girls read since fiction?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its common in the beginning to go out at night thinking no one will see you but its really not a wise thing to do.
    Going out in the daytime is much easier,safer and way more fun.
    The public see the hair,the female clothes and automatically think female so 70% of your illusion is done the rest is make up and mannerisms.
    Jennifer you have nailed the casual feminine look I see out and about.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 07-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.

You bet, I didn't spend all this money to buy clothes to just stay indoors. The sun is out, the birds are out, people are out, why not me moving about being free to live my life, meeting others and being counted. Being a day walker is so routine now it takes no thought(well maybe the outfit and touch- up on face does) I'm out the door in a heart beat with head up and sway in my stride. So glad I took that first tentative step into the light.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I really don't go out much at night regardless of how I am dressed. I'm 44 and I act like I'm twice that age! I like dinner by 5 and in bed by 8:30!

I am like Nadine, to old to be out that much at night, so I am like everyone else, out living my life in the day. For example, my wife and I will be going out to breakfast in a little while. I am already dressed with Capri length leggings and a brightly printed tunic, jewelry and long blue nails.

Being out during the day is just normal to me

Richelle

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    ROFL "daywalkers" ... You're making us sound like zombies, Jen! :-)

Having been out only a handful of times, none of them was at night, other than to run through a drive-through. Yes, I know the irony of being a tranny eating at chickfila ... Dat chicken though! The well groomed young go-getter at the window called me "ma'am" and said "it's my pleasure", so it's all good LOL.

Gawd! Beard shadow is my worst, most persistent foe ... Like Seinfeld's "NEUMANN!" It is a little harder to hide under bright lighting. I think honestly it's more the lingering texture than it is the color coming through. Highly directional light is the worst, like track lighting, spotlights, or noonday sun ... It just catches all the little dimples casting thousands of little shadows and if you're up close its like a freakin' lighthouse .. a thousand watt stubble beacon, LOL. Making me seriously consider laser or electro in the future ... Ugh!

There really is something beautiful about owning your vulnerability in broad daylight for all to see ... Owning it and then not letting that affect your plans. Going out as you, being the best you that you can be, looking in the mirror and liking what you see, even though under imperfect lighting and at the wrong angle, it's not perfect ... Flaws and all ... "This is me and I will not be ashamed of it".
    Last edited by Amy Fakley; 07-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Nothing special, you own it, I own it...it's all good.
    Written quite often here and always true.

It's normal. ...Besides, all the normals are out during the day, and I am just as normal as them, right?
    I think you hit on something subtle Nadine. It's almost like a declaration of "normalcy" when you go out in the daytime. It IS normal. We ARE normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    ... I am getting use to exposing more of my upper body in female clothes but I know it's more of a give away . ...
    Teresa, me too. But you'll notice I had no arm cover. I try to keep my shoulders back and elbows in but I KNOW my arms are not shaped or sized like the typical woman. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by NancySue View Post
    ... I'm never totally relaxed as discovery would be a disaster. ....
    NancySue, if you can't relax, I don't think you can have a good time. I used to think it would be "disaster" if I was discovered but now, I think it will be initial embarrassment for not having been "out" already and then the awkward stage of explaining that cross dressing is not related to sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    ...The public see the hair,the female clothes and automatically think female so 70% of your illusion is done the rest is make up and mannerisms.
    Jennifer you have nailed the casual feminine look I see out and about.
    Tracii, I think you are right about the public. They notice so little. I got the one double take (eyes only) for a gal I passed about 1 foot from me as I was on a crowded side walk. And my casual look...the great news yesterday was that it was quite warm and while the typical attire was shorts and a top, I saw plenty of casual dresses and skirts. Probably more dresses than skirts even. I could have been in a dress and fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allisa View Post
    You bet, I didn't spend all this money to buy clothes to just stay indoors. ... I'm out the door in a heart beat with head up and sway in my stride. So glad I took that first tentative step into the light.
    Allisa, I'm with you about being dressed. Dressed = going out. And the idea of "out the door in a heartbeat" is exactly when you know you are "normal." Just as easy as turning the door handle, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post
    ROFL "daywalkers" ... You're making us sound like zombies, Jen! :-)
    This should be a trademarked term belonging to RennaeB, a member here who I have not seen a while. She's the first I saw use it and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post
    Gawd! Beard shadow is my worst, most persistent foe ... It is a little harder to hide under bright lighting. I think honestly it's more the lingering texture than it is the color coming through. Highly directional light is the worst, like track lighting, spotlights, or noonday sun ... It just catches all the little dimples casting thousands of little shadows and if you're up close its like a freakin' lighthouse .. a thousand watt stubble beacon, ...
    Amy, I think you have to get out of your own head. I used to think that same thing. There is no question that my skin is not as smooth as the average woman's but it's my square jaw line and adams apple, veiny arms and hands and .... that screams "DUDE!" if anyone is listening, that is;-) If you are comfortable in front of the mirror, your beard shadow is fine.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Jennifer I rarely if ever go out at night doing day walking is my outlet for my dressing. I so agree other then my height I don't feel I stand out much and I always try my best to blend.
    I shop and buy groceries and normal things and it's very much an enjoyable experience.
    I'm beginning to try and tone down my makeup as well but your right trying to hide the beard makes it tough

Ah, yes Jennifer. But right now i'm in my Sunday best with heeled ankle boots on green skirt and see through flowered light orange colored top. But when we will walk later I will put n my lady tennis shoes and short shorts and a T-shirt as that is better walking clothes. But yes it is best to walk during the day. But here in Texas, at 100 degrees it is best to wait near twilight when the sun is not so burning.
    Part Time Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Allisa View Post
    You bet, I didn't spend all this money to buy clothes to just stay indoors.
    Funny. I've gotten to the point where I feel like I'm cheating if I don't go out. I got all spiffed up to see the therapist today and when I came out of his office I was trying to think of something I might need to go do or get and came up empty. I drove home and felt so much like I was betraying something by not being out there that I went and bought groceries just so I could be out and about.

The warning is that going out is addicting and there's a danger of Crossdresser Inversion -- I remember when I used to hide indoors when dressed in women's clothes. Now I hide indoors if I'm dressed like a guy.

I've always loved being out in the daytime. There is little to be gained by lurking in the shadows at night. Do that, and you are an object of curiosity and people will look to see what it is you're hiding.

OTOH, if you do what 100 women are already doing nobody will give you a second glance. Mimi and I spent a pleasant morning walking all around a mall for exercise and then went grocery shopping. We were both wearing tunics and Capri leggings which seems to be the female "uniform of summer"in SoCal. Other than a few of the the more aggressive salespeople nobody took any notice of us.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Hate it! While u own it, Jenn, dressing to blend doesn't suit Sherry.

Going out wearing, sloppy, casual, loose fitting, comfy clothing? That's what I've done in drab for 70+ years!

When I dress, I want tite, sexy, or at least, fem and attractive, clothing. This is a casual look for me. Pretty much explains why I rarely dress and go out during daytime. And, why u won't see me dressed at a WalBarn, Bennies, or Starclucks!
    63079.jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hey Jennifer, you know I'm a day walker supreme! I'd much rather be out with all the other GG's my age than confine myself to clubbing or night strolls only. There is such a pleasant calm associated with day outings. Besides, most all of my dressing opportunities are in daylight hours.
    Learn to present like the ladies you'll be around, smile a lot, start polite conversation and be yourself! Here was my outfit from yesterday, not fancy, but a hell of a lot of fun:
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I think in many ways, we do overthink things. As Jenn has noted frequently, our minds are our own worst enemy.

Pictured below is me today.

Over the course of 6 hours I went shopping at Walmart, stopped for a cup of coffee at Panera Bread, went to Sunday service, had lunch with about 30+ others church members in our Little Italy neighborhood, walked around Cleveland's University Circle area and strolled for about half an hour at a nearby upscale outdoor mall. I can grow a beard in about 2 days, so a beard shadow is always something I am aware of. I fooled not one single person. However, I was smiled at, hugged, spoken to, served food, used the ladies room, called "ma'am", had my hands shook, shopped, checked out, well you get the point. One thing I particularly noticed as I walked around the shopping mall, I walked by so many people and no one's head swung around, many people barely looked up from their cell phones as I passed them.

People are so self absorbed in their own lives that as long as we go about our business well behaved and dressed appropriately, no one will care, most won't even notice. At least that is my personal experience and it is something I have literally experienced over a hundred times.

Thats what i do several times a summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images