Thread: a first: buying a dress in a high end boutique

Banned Read only

a first: buying a dress in a high end boutique

Well, I was out again today. Really hot but doing errands as I wrap up my move. I was in a light weight skirt and white top (casual and plain) and I was sweating. Anyway, met a friend from this forum, Christy Lee for a glass of wine and a chat but before we met, I passed a boutique that had a dress on a form which was screaming my name. After wine with Christy, I headed back to the store and inquired about the dress.

The lady working was 65+ years old and didn't miss a beat. I asked her the pice: $450! I passed. I'm not insane after all but the dress was gorgeous. She invited me to browse and my eye caught a pale blue/white polka dot (yeah, I have a problem) with a cool decoration on the front. I asked about sizes and she says its a one size. "Say what?" Did she see me? She invites me to try it on, into the dressing room I go and I tried it on. I really liked it. Cool, comfortable and almost give me a shape. It came with a necklace and scarf so it was a bargin. Luckily I glued my forms so I removed my bra as the straps were showing just a touch. I hate that.

The lady, Bo was her name, was very, very friendly. Said I looked great in it and of course I said she's getting paid to say that and she said, "No, no, no, I mean it!" Does't matter, she was fantastic. I wore it out the door. If anyone n the street cares, I do not!

Here are some full sized pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9pleq5qw8...lrz_T8YXa?dl=0

If you get a pop-up asking you to log-in or join Dropbox, just click on the "No thanks, continue to view" link at the bottom of the pop-up.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 07-13-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: link does not require joining, spelling

OMG, Jennifer! How do you get all this good luck? And I guarantee you, if I'd had a glass with you and you had mentioned you were going back to a boutique, you would have not been by yourself!! The dress is beautiful!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Banned Read only
    Thanks Heidi, it sure didn't take any wine to go shopping! But $450 for a few times a year is just too extravagant for me. The dress I bought is almost a gauze material. Dare I write: comfortable;-)

and flowy and cool too! But Bo in the shop made my day.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 07-11-2016 at 08:58 PM.

What a great happenstance Jennifer. $450 for a dress would be a bit too much for me as well. The dress you chose is a winner on you, especially with that smile. Luv the matching necklace as well. Can understand how the whole experience with Bo would make your day. Just goes to show good things do happen for those willing to explore.

Karen

Lovely dress! Polka "Jennifer" dots galore! The world is much brighter place with your spunk, elegance and beauty in it!
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Love the dress Jennifer. It look great on you hun.
    Angie

Jennifer, I too would have gone back to the boutique with you in a New York second. I always glue my forms on, and would have relished coming out wearing such a georgeous dress sans bra, more so if coming out with a twin sister. You rock.

Best,
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Banned Read only
    Jen,
    That's a great dress to spend a relaxing day in , very easy to wear and cool for a hot day , nice buy.

I couldn't spend $450 either, my wife rarely spends that sort of money ! I could never live it down .

I know what you mean about the dress having your name tag on it , I saw the one in my avatar in Oxfam window and couldn't pass it up, my size great and £12.99 , it's by East. It didn't mean much to me until I walked to the other end of the High Street and looked in East's window , nothing goes cheap there so I was well pleased . It's very flattering that so many GGs said how nice it looked , it did feel as good to wear.

New Girl On The Block NikkiBeth's Avatar
    What a great summer dress, you look fantastic!!

beautiful!!!! what a lovely time. how tall are you? is that why you thought it wouldn't fit?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen RHT View Post
    ...Can understand how the whole experience with Bo would make your day. Just goes to show good things do happen for those willing to explore.Karen
    Karen, that is really the take away. This lady was old enough to be my mom but she welcomed me in, was happy to help with some styling choices, and was seemingly genuinely complimentary. I was a customer, maybe a more unique one, but no less of one. I suspect she treated me better than the average customer. It was awesome. Just a great experience to be welcomed with a genuine smile by someone of an age who could logically have a harder time with someone like me. She even gave me a "Please come back I love to see you again," when I left.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwindsor View Post
    Polka "Jennifer" dots galore!
    Yeah, I have a problem. I just love the polka dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Darling View Post
    ... would have relished coming out wearing such a georgeous dress sans bra, ....
    It's kind of funny but I was worried the dress fabric might too revealing (read that as thin) so I was looking in the mirror and had to ask Bo to validate that is was not too scandalous.

Quote Originally Posted by kaleyg View Post
    ... how tall are you? is that why you thought it wouldn't fit?
    Kaley, I am only 5'7" and down to 150 lbs since it's the middle of race season but the dress was a "one size" that is not usually conducive to fitting a male shoulder width. It is meant to hang loosely but my concern was getting it over my shoulders. That WAS a tight fit. I think the upside is that rather than hang straight, it has a small flare out at the hips because of my back width.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 07-12-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Sweet! OMG is there anything you don't look good in? I love it, and happy you had a wonderful time, and just little envious. You really do look great, and that ever present beautiful smile. Thanks for sharing, Brenda.

Banned Read only
    Jen,
    I'm not sure how much older you're implying Bo to be, but on the face of it I'm nearly old enough to be your dad ! This CDing World really does turn things upside down !

Would you ever have a conversation with your dad about the things we discuss ?

I must admit I thought you were a larger person in stature , in that case I'm 5' 71/2" at 147 lbs, dress size 12 (UK)

If you worry about thin fabrics you could always try a chemise ( short slip ).

Banned Read only
    Teresa, I would say conservatively, Bo was 70. I am almost 50. And yes, cross dressing is a crazy world but Bo seemed so genuinely happy for me she blew my mind. Just standing shoulder to shoulder with her while looking into the full length mirror was quite special but natural. I can't see her treating any women better than she did me.

And talking to my Dad? No way. He knows I cross dressed as a kid but I am certain he thinks it was a phase. He is one who can't "get it." And that's ok. He loves me now and loved me then, even when he probably thought I was whacko.

Being smaller in stature is a cross dressing benefit for sure but I am still very male shaped: inverted triangle and no hips. Biking has added a lot of mass to my thighs and that helps as I don't use padding, but the downside is they are very masculine legs. Only one of the reasons I stick to knee length garments.

Take care,

you look great and i love both outfit and your sandals

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    What a nice story Jennifer and wow super cute dress

Stunning! I would need to lose 70 pounds and 25 years to even consider it! You look great in that!