Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For how many is this just a hobby? Something you feel you can quit at any time?

For how many is this just a hobby? Something you feel you can quit at any time?

I came across this in Jon_mtf's thread.
    1. So I was just wondering how many out there crossdress just for fun, and believe that they feel no need to do it?
    2. Have you ever stopped crossdressing, and if so, for how long?
    3. Did you ever replace this hobby with something else, and at a later date, stop THAT hobby and return to crossdressing?

Further, I'd be curious when the urge to crossdress started for you, if you can remember a specific moment or event that triggered the feeling, 'gee, I want to put on [panties, bra, dress, pantyhose, whatever (and could you specify what it was)], or perhaps style your hair like a female would.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

For me, this has never been a hobby. Crossdressing has been a compulsion since I was 9 or 10 years old. I have never felt comfortable in male clothes. Since I became an adult, the need has increased and I try to see myself as a woman as much as I can.

This is not a hobby for me. I've been doing this at least since puberty and I'm now 70 years old. I could (and I should) give up drinking which I like too much before I would give up crossdressing.

The Girl in a blue dress. Jennifer B's Avatar
    I would be surprised if any crossdresser would ever describe the way we are, as a 'hobby'. But if I'm wrong, I have no issue with that.

It's never been something that I can quit at anytime.

In response to the specific questions:

1. It's fun to crossdress but I don't do it because it's fun. I do it because it's who I am. There is a need there for sure.

2. The longest I ever stopped crossdressing was 6 months. In over 30 years minus the 7 years before I started that's not much.

3. It's not a hobby. It's an intrinsic part of who I am. I may have stopped in the past due to societal pressure, but I've never not been who I am. And whenever I've stopped or purged, it has had a diminishing effect on my life in the long term.

My awakenings were at a very early age in the linen basket, when I became a serial pantie and bra thief. The reason? Adventure, curiosity, a need to understand, a willingness to experience. All the feelings that I believe make me a rounded and receptive person today.

That's probably not all of it. But it's a start. Great question(s)!
    Last edited by Jennifer B; 07-15-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Not a hobby for me. I find that description to be very insulting. Crossdressing, being transgendered is who I am, it's part of my identity. I have tried to quit but now understand that will never happen. Yes, I do it for fun, crossdressing is at the same time both sexually and emotionally satisfying.🌺

1. I CD for fun and there seems to be a desire that calls to me and also a need to be dressed. The feeling is sometimes stronger than other times. I sometimes can just see a lipstick commercial on tv and feel the need. It makes me feel a calmness I can't get in regular male attire.
    2. I've quit several times. I have always returned with a stronger urge to dress. Longest was maybe a year. Except in high school when I tried to quit and did for several years. In college I was stressed a lot over making good grades and returned to relax.
    3. I've tried many hobbies from guitar playing, to fishing and hunting. Still haven't found one to replace my dressing though.

hob·by1/ˈhäbē/

noun

1. an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    2. a small horse or pony. maybe a Cross-dresser

I don't know if I would call it a hobby but when I dress up full fem I love it.

I've tried over the years to half dress, no wig or makeup but it was a big turn off!

I did stop for over ten years when my kids were young and I was so busy!

I have noticed that if I don't dress at least once a month I get bitchie! Could it be the moon?

"This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

It is definitely not a hobby for me. It is something I have to do. If I don't dress for a few days I become irritated easily. Once I can dress I find it to be a calming influence. I have been dressing for too many years for it to be a hobby. It has become a part of my identity.

I echo the others messages.

It is not a hobby for me but I can push it aside for a few months if need be.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Its not a hobby for me. Started at approx age 7 or 8 and while I've stopped for lengthy periods before (5 years being the longest stretch), I now accept that it's not healthy for me to fight the desire. I do however manage things for.me family's sake and am forgoing certain experiences along the continum for them.

Aspiring Member
    1. Nope. intrinsic to my personality.
    2. High school. Why I don't know.
    3. N/A as it is not a hobby. Plenty of hobbies have came and gone. Some have returned.

I read the title and thought hmm, could this have stemmed from my post?
    Given I mentioned it as a hobby first you may be suprised with my answer.

1. I cannot stop where as I can stop my hobbies, so it cannot be a hobby. If I could stop I would.

2. Tried a few times, think a couple of months is the longest. If looking at clothes online and imagine wearing them counts then it's weeks.

3. Have to be careful with choices of words here, I didn't swap for hobby but tried to stop when I got a gf.

I can't seem to remember much of my early childhood but I can remember putting on my mum's bras from the Washington bin when I was about 11. Litterally put it on and Sat there, I don't remember why. Currently for me it's very sexual but it clearly wasn't when I was younger.
    Last edited by Maria_mtf; 07-16-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Not finished, dam phone

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    No hobby. It,s far more generic / nnormal to me than something specific ,like golf or surfing. It's more like sport. I gave up golf after 20 years. I have even stopped surfing after 35 years. I can't ever see me giving up sport though. Currently I enjoy walkingto\climbing to keep fit. Like wise I underdressed for perods of my youth and never since. But being fully dressed and just doing every day stuff is never going to stop, while I'm still breathing.

To your other points. 5 or 6 . I think I just wanted to be lke my sister's back then.

I enjoy it! (don't we all!) I need it and it won't go away! Started very young-few times can not remember well. Later as teen but more gather, wear, purge. Wife disapproved but again gather,wear, purge once or twice in 34+ year marriage. Shortly after wife's death (over a month) the pink fog rolled in! So I have stopped for most of 34 years! Nothing replaces it! It is just another side of who I am! Understand that I love(d) my wife more than anything or anyone but when the pink fog hit it was with a realization that I was free to pursue my feminine side! So at 64 I set forth! Hugs Lana Mae

My first memory is at 7 years old and sneaking into my mother's dresser to try on her stockings. Up until a couple years ago, I was deeply closeted. Then, a combination of the right partner, age, and time sprung the box open and I dress as often as I can. This is not a hobby, it is a passion. Why not? BTW, the wonderful spectrum of opinions and experiences expressed by the members of this forum have really helped me to not be afraid and know that my passion is OK. Thank you!

Some might crossdress as a hobby or for a pageant or party or even as a profession, but for a Crossdresser (and I am one) it is not a hobby or a passion or an event. It is a compulsion. For someone truly gender dysphoric it is probably destiny. I too am put off by those who want to hide the reality of our situation by calling it a hobby.

for me it's not exactly a 'hobby,' but it's something in a separate category. not really what I consider the 'real me'...I have no desire to transition or live full time as a woman,and yet it's not something that I feel I can completely quit.It's not an 'addiction,' but it KIND of is. Whereas I MIGHT be able to quit, I don't think i'd be very happy if I never ever dressed again. So, I dunno what it is.. Lets say a 'facet' of who I am.
    Started at preschool age...like many of us....going through Mom's drawer, trying on her stuff. Then let go of it for many years until there was another female figure in my life...my SO, then the desire returned. Started as lingerie fixation...stockings and garter belts...but over time grew to full female presentation, wigs, makeup
    And no, never tried to replace it with another 'hobby.'

Aspiring Member
    No, CDing for me is not a hobby. I've been CDing since I was 5-6 years old, and I've come to accept who I am and embraced the woman inside me.

That being said, I did stop CDing for about 4-5 years, this was before my wife and I married but were living together + not coming out to her about Wendy. On top of that, I encountered severe medical issues which "forced" me to stop.

Since I came out to my wife about my CDing, and I've undergone positive medical treatments, my CDing is back at full bloom.

Hey, they are my clothes and it just feels natural to wear them. Wouldn't call that a hobby.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

It's always been more of a sexual obsession/compulsion for me. Calling it an addiction or habit would be more descriptive in my case.

Abstaining for periods of time? Yes. Quit? Not very likely...
    Last edited by Ressie; 07-16-2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

1. I like to convince myself that it is a hobby, something I do just for fun, not a need et all, but the truth is, as times goes by it becomes more and more a part of me. I dont really know hat to think anymore. I just do it!
    2. The logest Ive been without dressing is about a year, occupying myself as much as I could to keep away from the closet. but the urge always returns...
    3. Ive tried everything, the only thing that can "replace" it is working the shit out of me until Im so tired I cant think of anything but sleep.

I cant remember a specific moment but yes I do recall my early teens, looking myself in the mirror and imagining I was seing the soft skin of a young girl gave me the thrills!

its never been a hobby for me remember wearing heels panties and a night gown when I was 3 have never been able to stop I have quit drinking and smoking years ago but do not even want to stop dressing fem
    hugs
    Ronda

It started out years ago more of a "just for kicks" thing I did once in a blue moon than it was a hobby. As time progressed it became more and more, especially in recent years, a case of dressing to reflect who I am inside.

Yes I did quit dressing for a long time while I was mixed up with a religious organization, but I came back to it after leaving the religious crack pots.
    Last edited by Cristy2; 07-16-2016 at 09:08 AM.

It's an internal drive that compels me to transform. The main drive is hair, makeup, and high heels. Clothes are less important, but I love it most when it's a complete head-to-toe over-the-top transformation.
    There is a hobby aspect, but it's not the primary drive. I sew, mostly to shorten skirts. HA. I have made jewellery, chokers, and my favorite, headbands.
    I have quit for long periods: 3 yesrs in the Army, 2 years just married.

I wouldn't call it a hobby, for me it's part of who I am. I can and have stopped before, but I've never really wanted to, it's always an external pressure or a self conscious thing that comes with urges to fit in etc. I guess I went through phases throughout my teenage years of being more or less inclined to do it, but I've never really stopped and started again, it's more of a more or less frequent fluctuation. I've been through maybe two major phases of being less likely to do what we'd call crossdress, but it was never a preferable option to me. It was when I was figuring what I liked I think, I would make myself more appealing to girls then go back to an androgynous look then back again, my hair would grow out then I'd eventually cut it, it really influences me like that.

My urge to look like a girl and have a female hairstyle probably began most notably when I was about eight or nine. At first it wasn't clothing it was my hair, it had been quite long for years and I liked it like that, I eventually began to want it longer or more feminine, I wanted to look like the girls. I started with clothing at about twelve I think. There was never any event I can link this all too, it's just always been in my mind somewhere.