Thread: Shopping male mode

Question Shopping male mode

Hi girls

So it was my birthday yesterday so I Decided to have a look today for some new outfits, so off I went.

The summer is here and has been 30 degrees in Essex and no wind. 😂
    I always look out for what lady's are wearing (as we all do) for trends, atm it seems to be jumpsuits trouser and off the shoulders top. I walk into primark and have a look around dressed in male clothes, but with a cute thong on. I find a nice black jumpsuit black evening 1, so I gather that and a couple of male clothes jeans t shirt shirt etc and walk in the changing rooms, the lady counts the hangers and gives me a 6 item tag. I walk into the changing rooms and put the jumpsuit on straight away, to small, damm hanger size 12 but jumpsuit 10. I take it off and fold it up and put it on the bench. Then try on the t-shirt, shirt and trousers all good I walk out of the changing room with my items and walk over to to the cloths to look some more, to my embarrassment I turn round and see that the lady is hanging up the jumpsuit looking at me, what am I meant to do I drop the clothes on the floor and walk out the shop lol.

Anyway I went to a different shop tkmax and find a different jumpsuit, I try it on, Great bottom half but I am really snuggling with my shoulders and arms in female clothes I looked shocking.

My question, is it silly to try clothes on in shops in male mode, it never reflects on what we would look like dressed fem. no hair make up or jellewery, foams would have made the chest area ok but my shoulders!! Jesus!!

Has put me back a bit about shopping, I no the answer is to go dressed in girl mode but it's not possibly, for myself anyway.

Thought o would share my experience and ask for advice

Thank you for reading
    J
    Xx

Banned Read only
    Jordan,
    It may have been better to have a quite word with a suitable SA before choosing your things, most are OK with it if you show some politeness, most will usually be more than helpful.
    I found the best thing to do is chose the items on line , make a list and then approach a SA asking if they can help with the items, also ask if they mind serving a man with women's clothes, I've not had a bad incident yet by doing it this way. If you show respect, you will usually receive it. I shop in drab all the time, somehow I feel SAs are more comfortable with that situation.
    Don't let it put you off, they still need your money !

Hi Teresa

Thanks for the reply

When you say suitable sa, what do you mean?

Hi Jordan
    I know I'm fortunate that I can shop femme and do a lot , I do see men looking in the lady's department probably for themselves , but who knows ,
    Buying things in a department store is a lot easier than a stand alone lady's wear shop , But some suggestions for you
    carry a small tape measure so you can measure the waist , I do that even as Julie
    Sizes ,you can check the stores on line size chart , and get the sale person to get it for you that's what most (real men)
    would do .
    And as long as you don't know the sales staff , who cares sometimes being honest works

I carry a tape measure and measure, waist shoulders and hips whether in male or girl mode. If the numbers look right, I try the item on before purchasing.

I don't worry about the looks that a dressing room attendant might give me.

If in an exclusively woman's shop, I ask if it is ok if I try on the item when dressed in drab. I in girl mode, the SA's always ask if they can start a room for me.

Aspiring Member
    I frequently shop for womenswear as a man or part dressed as well as fully dressed and have no problems - I use my favourite shops who all know me and my true gender. They say they frequently see men shopping in a way that suggests they are doing so for themselves and they would like to help but do not want to offend anyone. I think many of us would be better off if we were more open. Think whatcit would do for the retail sector if men could shop and wear completely openly.

Banned Read only
    As a male the biggest issue I find with my large frame is the shoulders and chest, although I'd say from the general male population I see I'm a lot better off. I'm a 42-38-40. It is impossible for me to feel comfortable in certain slim styles, so I choose sheaths, empire waists, wraps. There is no way I'd ever be able to wear a dress with a zipper in the back or side. Such dresses are made for the general type/frame of women broken down into misses, plus, petites, etc. Also check the fabric content. Many fabrics have ample stretch. Big shoulders is really going to limit your choice of styles. I recognize that and stay with what will work.

Use size charts on the internet. I have a 40 inch waist and although the other measurements are slightly off a size 20w fits. (hips should be 48-50 actually 41) Wear flared skirts to hide hips. You will pick up little tricks as you go along! Best of luck! Hugs Lana Mae

I've been shopping in male garb exclusively for at least 40 years. I have always used the male dressing room when trying out my femme garments. I have never encountered any problems. Once, when purchasing a pair of bras, the SA complimented me on my selection and wished me well in wearing them. other than that, I've only encountered a few knowing smiles.

Banned Read only
    Jordan,
    For starters, guys will serve you but they have to do it but it's usually obvious they prefer not to, normally you can tell a helpful SA, the younger ones are OK but middle aged don't care who they serve they treat everyone the same.

Hi Jordan I'm fairly local to u and I see we are about the same age if u ever need a wing man we could go together it would be in male mode as I've not been out before and I couldn't get out the house with out being spotted by the wife 🙂

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Tape measure is an essential tool for me, sizes vary so much from brand to brand.
    Shopping in boy mode for womens clothes is not a huge deal and nobody cares and yes the SA's are there to help.
    Why would an SA looking at you be a problem?

I usually just know my sizes so don't need to try anything on. But have been worried about if something would really fit me, so just used the changing room to find out. Figured it's easier to try it on than to have to go the hassle of taking it back.

Hi all thanks for reading, and all your comments and suggestions.

It's a confidence thing. Having not done it before, and being honest with a total stranger about something no one else knows about.

Sizes are always different where ever I go.
    Tescos clothes are size 12
    Primark clothing sometimes 16 a big difference.
    Calvin Klein is 14
    Morgan was a 12
    Most seem to be different sizes.

I very much agree with being honest. I don't lie well maybe a white lie or two. But as you all say if they don't like it walk out.
    Next time I shop I will ask the lady, middle aged hopefully lol.

Thanks for all the advice, I will take you up on it.

J
    Xx

Most stores are more worried that you are stealing something than trying on women's clothes. My experience has been that almost everyone does not care and is happy to take your money.

I do go in with an idea of what size I wear...that helps minimize the time you spend bouncing back and forth.

I go shopping in drab all the time. Very helpful SAs at most stores they seem to love dressing you up. The department stores here in Canada don't really have the personal service they used to so I prefer to go the exclusive 'ladies' shops like Ricki's or Reitmens.