Thread: I could use some advice on pants

I could use some advice on pants

I have a classic hourglass figure - larger chest and hips, small waist, thighs, and shoulders. The trouble I'm having is figuring out men's pants. Men's pants seem to be designed with the assumption that hips and thighs are close to the same size. So I need a skinny fit through the thigh, but then the pants are pulling and whiskering around the hips. Or I go for a more relaxed or athletic fit, but then while it fits the hips the butt and thighs are hugely saggy. It ends up looking like I'm sagging my pants, which is not a good look. I'm really looking for slacks or chinos rather than jeans, but I'm just not finding much to fit. Advice?

Silver Member
    I get the fit issue. Either the waist will be too big, or the rear will be tight. Generally guys pants don't fit tight on the legs, unless you buy skinny jeans. Some guys (a few) are actually buying girls jeans for this look. I'm not a big fan in guy mode. Look for Dockers with pleats. Yes they will be a bit baggy, but that can be OK if you are looking for a classic 40s/80s look.

You might actually ask the tailor to bring the waist in. In the day, a higher end department store, and certainly even now a men's store would offer that service free or inexpensively. I would think that these stores would probably be pretty safe/friendly.

Good luck and let's us know how it goes.

Oh and BTW, it is expected that any really nice slacks probably need hemmed. Sure you can find off the rack, but if your really styling, you have to get fitted.
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 07-25-2016 at 11:07 AM.

first off, i'm jealous of your classic "hourglass figure"
    having a sun dial figure myself, i doubt i have any
    good advice for you. LOL but like Meghan said,
    there are many girls jeans that seem gender neutral.
    i would try and find a pair like that, so that you can
    flaunt that figure...
    paula

I'm really trying to avoid jeans (they make me look younger, and I don't need any help on that score), and I'm trying to de-emphasize my hips.

Silver Member
    I'd find a tailor and have the waist taken in. It is something any tailor should be able to do. Getting a good fit can be hard, even for those of us born male. I am too short for my width and I have to have my (male) pants hemmed because they are too long (and finding a pair of off the rack female pants that would fit me correctly would be almost impossible.) If you are just starting out and are shorter than the average male, you may have to have your pants hemmed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    I'd find a tailor and have the waist taken in. It is something any tailor should be able to do. Getting a good fit can be hard, even for those of us born male. I am too short for my width and I have to have my (male) pants hemmed because they are too long (and finding a pair of off the rack female pants that would fit me correctly would be almost impossible.) If you are just starting out and are shorter than the average male, you may have to have your pants hemmed as well.
    It's really not the waist that I'm concerned about so much as the rear and thighs. Basically by the time I get the hips to fit my pants look huge and saggy - you could fit my butt and thighs in there twice over. I'm not sure that can be tailored without basically redoing the pants entirely.

Silver Member
    A nicer set of slacks should have enough material to let out that area abit, as well as taking in the waist. But there is a chance that you anatomy is just too curvy. You may need to loose some mass in that area. Running may help make you lankier. Good luck though.

I'm actually only about a hundred pounds, so there's really no weight to lose there. It's all bones, there's no fat to lose without making myself dangerously underweight.

Banned Read only
    Try a pair of men's skinny jeans like Armani. Not cheap but they fit the behind very nicely (stretch material) and flair out just enough below the knees!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Guys skinny jeans that ride on the hip may be a choice and they do make a more dressy chino style too.
    Oh and those God awful cargo shorts or pants.

What is the purpose of the pants? Are they work pants or casual/dress pants? If you are looking for work pants, you may want to try a regular uniform style pants like Dickies or something like that. Most of them are fairly gender neutral and use different style belt to make it more masculine.

You might consider pleated pants, which are available in both dress and casual styles.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Hi TheJesseBoy, I would suggest looking for what is called modern or tailored fit. Both terms are used interchangeably. There is a small, but obvious caveat here: The actual fit varies with brands, so it will probably take some searching for the right one.

What the modern or tailored fit does is it gives you a sort of slim fit at the bottom with a liitle bit of allowance in the hip section. However, as has been said, bringing a tailor in is always a good idea.