Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dressing to dress but not to pass

Silver Member
    When young I dressed to pass. Now days I dress for comfort. Most of my clothes are fem and I wear panties and bra most of the time. I'm pretty well accepted.

All the time. Even, went to the beach yesterday. Womens short jeans, and tank top, with sandals. Have a bikini bottom that I wore while I walked the beach.

Aspiring Member
    since my wife will only let met dress up as Wendy in the household, my goal is not to pass. However, when I do dress I try to do the whole kit and caboodle.

I don't know if I've ever really tried to pass. I have had people think I was a woman on occasion until they heard my voice and take a closer look. One lady, who was drunk late at night at a costume party, vehemently disputed that I was really a male. She went for my skirt and if she had been successful she might have been really convinced that I was a woman.

I become Marcelo Hunter when I go out as my zombie fighting hero who is dressed up as a cheerleader by his older sisters. I thoroughly shave my arms and legs and even wear panties under my skirt but I don't try to act feminine except in jest as my character would do in his life. Everyone seems to like it and I have a great time doing it.

I'm sure I would not even remotely pass. The rare times I get to dress, it's for myself.

I do both, I like to dress to pass but also just to have somethings on. Whenever I can I like to wear lipstick and earrings - especially big hoops or dangley ones. I just dressed up before a pastor friend the other day and she was amazed how well I looked!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    My everyday attire is from the womens section but I don't dress in 100% girl mode everyday.
    No thrill to wearing womens items its just what I like to wear.

I am 6'2" with long hair, broad shoulders and a fair amount of hair (I do keep my legs shaved). In my 20s I could almost pass, with my girlfriends' help, but these days, in my 40s, it would be much more difficult and, frankly, more time and expense than I'm willing to spend. I wear women's clothing 80% of the time, but it's mostly capris, unisex tops, Keds or women's sandals, light makeup, etc.--in other words, not enough to really appear as "crossdressing" in the liberal West Coast city where I live. When I do crossdress I go all the way: skirt, blouse, hair done, makeup done, bra, breastforms. I still don't "pass," and that's OK by me. My wife is accepting but prefers not to go with me when I'm fully dressed. (She is totally fine with everything else I wear, including toenail polish and light makeup daily.) Frankly I find this distinction to be useless--no offense to any of you who make the time and effort to be seen as female, but for me I feel like I should be able to wear what I like and feel comfortable in regardless of my gender. I like being a guy in a skirt and I don't mind being seen that way.
    Thanks!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

LOL I know exactly what you mean about dresses, UNDERDRESSER. I wear skirts all the time & am forever shopping for a dress that will be flattering but have mostly struck out. Recently I spent close to a full afternoon at the mall and shopped in J.Crew, J.Jill (my favorite store), Nordstrom, and Macy's, being completely up front about what I was looking for (a sporty dress that I can wear with Keds or with low-heeled pumps). All of the saleswomen were super helpful and friendly, and I finally found at Nordstrom's a Toad & Co. V-necked knee-length stretchy dress that actually fit and I felt comfy in. The salesgirl said "That looks really cute on you." So I bought it. I've worn it in public a couple of times and I must say wearing a dress takes a lot more courage, for me, than wearing a skirt.
    Keep shopping!

Tracy, is the problem the fit? i.e. broad shoulders and narrow hips? If so, try eshakti.com they will customize the fit for a reasonable fee. They do good work, my GF has several of them and is delighted. Her problem is the exact opposite, curvy hips, narrow waist, very short torso, and ...ehemm, "streamlined" upper body. (her words)

I will be ordering one myself as soon as I have enough spare cash, my additional problem is the neckline, it's pretty much got to be a button up style, all the others just don't work for my own self image.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Nowadays I'm simply dressing for aerobics (at home).

Afterwards, I'll shower & change into some clean athletic/dance apparel for comfort.

No wig, no heels, no make-up... All gone in purges of yesteryear.

Seems kind of a time-consuming pain to me these days, really.

A nice soft, stretchy dress or two might be in the cards at some point, perhaps as it gets colder. And beyond that? Who knows. In no rush.

For now, the idea of getting all dolled-up & going out just doesn't excite me like it used to.

And yes, I've passed enough times before. But this chapter is all about working out & comfort.

Works for me!

Since I am now a stay in the house girl, I do light make-up, wear a skirt over panties, and top over forms and Bra. deck shoes or penny loafers too.
    Make-up is a natural to pink lip stick and mascara and earth-tone eye shadow. I have been working on teaching myself to put on mascara to get longer lashes.

My GG support team say I have better legs than most woman and want to know How I can wear 4" heals for hours. (Good fit, wide sizes).

Occasionally I go full out and set up the photo equipment and back-drop and try a few shots (about 80 each session with 3 outfit changes). The shots give me a chance to see what I have been trying to do with my make-up and what others would see if I were to go out. I am no May West nor Marilyn Monroe, Not even a Betty White. But then I'm not Phillis Diller (stage attire/make-up) either. I am just a typical large heavy woman.

The only thing that makes me stand out is my size. 6 feet tall, bare footed, and 225 pounds and large hands. Size 22 dress.

After may years I just got my ears pierced 2 weeks ago, My support person who lives in a neighboring state doesn't know yet. (grin) I am going to surprise her on her next visit.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I have limited time for dressing so when it happens I tend to make the most of it. I do the full works from top to toe, always skirts, dresses, never pants, full make up, heels ect. I don't wear anything on non dress days, I have in the past but it always left me feeling it wasn't quite enough, so with me its now all or nothing. As for passing, I think I could, just, in a very dark place full of short sighted people!!

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    "As for passing, I think I could, just, in a very dark place full of short sighted people!!"

Passing at a straight club isn't always all that difficult.

Just sayin'.

And Halloween *is* coming up, as a potential cover, if ever needed.

(I recommend going with a larger group, if possible, preferably a mix of both women & men.)

It was meant as a joke Laura...

I am 6 ft 3 and I have huge hands and feet. In a photo I could maybe pass as female but in rl I stand no chance. I suppose this leaves me free to wear what I want to wear without boundaries, since I know I won't pass regardless of what I put on.
    This is a good thing in a way, since what I like wearing are over the top ball gowns with full petticoats. Things that the average woman wouldn't wear except for really special occasions.
    I've found the best place for me to go out dressed are goth events. Even though I don't "dress goth" (although my fashion sense is starting to lean towards a goth style of late), nobody there cares that I am a man in a dress. They just accept that I am who I am.

I figured out after attending a goth weekend, I may not be able to pass, but I can still look good.

Quote Originally Posted by DIANEF View Post
    I have limited time for dressing so when it happens I tend to make the most of it. I do the full works from top to toe, always skirts, dresses, never pants, full make up, heels ect. I don't wear anything on non dress days, I have in the past but it always left me feeling it wasn't quite enough, so with me its now all or nothing. As for passing, I think I could, just, in a very dark place full of short sighted people!!
    Like me, all or nothing. Except when I wear a slinky nightie to bed

I'd try that SophieLiz, don't think my wife would be too impresssd !!! Just to add though, my sons girlfriend is very into the Goth scene, I'll have to get her to make me up one day 'for halloween' or somthing and give me a legit excuse to go out.
    Last edited by DIANEF; 09-01-2016 at 06:27 AM.

Non-binary/Questioning
    I wouldn't pass either - I have a beard, and the one time in the last 4 decades that I shaved it off I looked like Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies. I don't go out dressed, and at home I wear a skirt, panties, cami top and sometimes a bra. I don't paint my nails, wear makeup or jewellery, so for me it's about the comfort and feel of the clothes on my body. I like the freedom of skirts and dresses. The wig shown in my avatar photo is a cheap one I picked up in a Hallowe'en store and I only wear it when taking pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by DIANEF View Post
    I'd try that SophieLiz, don't think my wife would be too impresssd !!! Just to add though, my sons girlfriend is very into the Goth scene, I'll have to get her to make me up one day 'for halloween' or somthing and give me a legit excuse to go out.
    If you could get away with it with regards to your wife, I'd definitely give a goth night a go. Never met a more welcoming group.

I'm actually going to a goth themed masquerade ball next week. I can't wait.

I feel as if I could pass. If I had a good make up helper and stylist. I want to go to New Orleans this weekend for the festival.

goth sounds fun!

Well I used to pass. But that was 30 years ago. At 72 and nearly 100 lbs over weight its a stretch. Still when I travel I some times bring an outfit for going out to dinner. Jeans and a sweater with heeled boots and a little make up. Oh to be 40 again? Maybe not.

At age 74 , 6'2" and 85Kg I wouldn't 'pass' in 1000 years, but I dress the full Monty in private just for my own personal pleasure when I am alone for most of a day at least. I do like to take some photos each time. This gives me something tangible & prolongs the overall pleasure as each dressing-up day is an event, nowadays. With all the femme gear on, especially the wig I look some 25 years younger, & that's always a real turn-on for this 'old codger'.

M.