Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you stop crossdressing if anticrossdressing/impersonating laws are enforced?

Banned Spammer

Post would you stop crossdressing if anticrossdressing/impersonating laws are enforced?

There are still laws that are mainly not enforced that make it a arrestable offense to impersonate,masquerade and dress like a women. See article about sir Lady java " the worlds prettiest man". There was rule 9.

Would you break the law?

Would you dress in private are secretly?

Those laws are probably now considered unconstitutional in the USA but there was a time in new york ,los angeles and Oakland when you where carted off to jail and embarrassed. You had to be more secretive and closeted then now. There was few clubs and no internet to bring the 1.4 Million in the USA together to share interest and aid each others.
    Last edited by reinasblack; 08-19-2016 at 04:23 PM.

I would never stop dressing.....and it doesnt matter how many times I was arrested

Gold Member
    I only dress inside my house, so that law would not affect me.
    Now if they enforced under dressing, well they just might get
    an argument from me. After all, what they do not see, does
    not concern them.
    Rader

When I started going out I didn't know if it was legal or not. I trusted that most people would not pay enough attention to figure it out, which is true, or most people would not want to get involved enough to call the police, which is also true.

I would continue to dress!! Being illegal would just add some spice to the mix!! LOL Hugs Lana Mae

Banned Read only
    I don't think this would ever happen in this country, it would take a civil war to change the constitution
    Last edited by Lorileah; 08-19-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: read the rules

Banned Spammer
    1845 statute prohibiting cross-dressing. As originally enacted, the New York statute made it a crime to assemble “disguised” in public places

an arrestable offence
    the 1845 statute that made it a crime in the state to masquerade
    Attention According to Oakland's Code of Ordinances, your style is illegal.

Immoral Dress Code 9.08.080 has been in place since 1879: “It is unlawful for any person in the city to appear in any public place nude or in the attire of a person of the opposite sex, or in any indecent or lewd attire.”
    In terms of concentration of same sex couples, Oakland is ranked among the top five major metropolitan areas in the nation. Certainly our city is as socially conscious as it is diverse. Yet shockingly, in 2010, cross-dressing remains an offense “against public peace and decency.”
    I first learned of this wacky time warp while attending an Oakland LGBT Roundtable meeting. Stephanie McLeod, pictured above,an intern with City Council Member Rebecca Kaplan’s office, created a slide show presentation which contextualized the ordinance.
    The civil war ended and the 15th amendment was ratified. Population explosions accompanied the gold rush and the transcontinental railroad; the latter saw Oakland grow from 1,500 people in 1860 to more than 36,000 in 1880. As the railroad’s western terminus, Oakland experienced a rush of new businesses, new manufacturing industries and new jobs. Migrants from the south, and immigrants from China and Southern Europe, changed the demographics of the area.
    “People who were not perceived to be part of the social ‘norm’ were marginalized and criminalized,” said McLeod. “Everyone is affected by this, not just queer people. If this law was enforced today, all the women on the police and fire departments could be charged with a misdemeanor for cross-dressing.”

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Sir Lady Java (1943–unknown , living in Hollywood, Calif.) performer, activist
    Originally from New Orleans, Sir Lady Java had been working in Los Angeles for two years in 1967, and was then performing and waiting at the Redd Foxx Club. She was billed as "The Prettiest Man on Earth". It was said that she had dated Redd Foxx and Sammy Davis Jr.

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) decided to enforce their Rule 9, whereby it was illegal for performers to impersonate by means of costume or dress a member of the opposite sex unless they had a special permit issued by the LA Board of Police Commissioners. They told the club owner that he would lose his license if Lady Java continued to perform, and her act was dropped. She teamed with the American Civil Liberties Union which challenged the rule as unconstitutional. Meanwhile Lady Java protested outside the club that the rule deprived her of her livelihood, and was favorably reported in the LA Advocate (later The Advocate) and Jet Magazine.

The legal challenge was thwarted in that only a club owner could file the appeal: the Redd Foxx Club owner would not, nor would any other club owner. However in 1969 another club owner did appeal the LAPD rules that prevented him from showing movies on the grounds that the interpretations of the rules were arbitrary and shifting. The California Supreme Court agreed and struck down the movie license rules. The LAPD Commission realized that all such rules could be challenged, and quietly informed the club owners that drag shows were now permitted.

In August 1971, Lady Java was guest of honor at the Alpha Chapter (Los Angeles) of the Full Personality Expression (FPE) showing that the chapter was more open-minded than FPE's national spokesperson, Virginia Prince.

Lady Java had a part, on effect playing herself, in the 1976 film, The Human Tornado. She is kidnapped and then rescued.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 08-19-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Explicit sexual content and/or pictures, this also includes external links to other websites.

2016 YEAH!!!!
    If you feel the need to Glamorize, Get all all dolled up, Dressed to the nines, rock your new little black dress. Or come out for the first time.
    Do your research online. "including this website" We are all going out!!!!
    It's good times!
    Reinasblack. Get a posy, And enjoy your T-Girl Experienece. Safty in numbers!
    XOXO Tiffany Amber Rhoads.

I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have seen this question a lot on other CD sites and its usually from a closet girl that has issues with those of us who go out in the world as our girl self.
    Call it jealousy or whatever but to use the word masquerade I have a problem with that.
    If I am being me how exactly how am I masquerading?
    If its obvious I am male how am I impersonating?

I did it a long time ago when you could get arrested for it so why stop now. Also I used to break the law daily by using drugs recreationally and alcohol below age. I guess I'm just a law breaking radical.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I would not stop crossdressing, but I would stop going out dressed in female clothes. I would just dress at home.

Oakland, California

Immoral Dress Code 9.08.080 from 1879 was amended on May 21, 2010 to exclude "in the attire of a person of the opposite sex."
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Silver Member
    Such a law would force me to become an activist. Some laws just shouldn't exist, and if they do, need to be fought until they are off the books. Either by protest or by court challenge or by referendum. That's how the gay community won the rights they have now, not by waiting patiently until society saw fit to bestow them.

ahh NO I would still dress. yes, even here in Texas...LOL
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I would not stop.

I consider myself incredibly fortunate to live in a country which legislates for acceptance of difference in sexual and gender expression and lifestyle. There is nothing in the act of crossdressing that offends any law in my country and many other nations of the world. As I understand it, the hierarchy of most major religions do not consider the act of crossdressing immoral. Beyond the written law of our legislative bodies, there is still elements of deep seated intolerance of crossdressing in my country, even though acceptance of same sex marriage and homosexuality is thankfully acknowledged and celebrated. That said, nothing will ever stop me from enjoying my normality of wearing feminine clothing!

I dressed years ago and it wasn't like it is now. I thought some places t was illegal and I went out and was likely passable but never thought about it was legal or not. How would they know me. Now, I don't pass as well as I used to but still try and look pretty good. I am who I am and in this area is so conserve that it still might be a problem and that don't stop me from going out. Yeah I would push the limits and would try to make an example of it. Why have any fear to do things.
    Part Time Girl

I dressed alone for many years, so if any antiquated laws were enforced I would just go back to dressing alone
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Oakland, California
    I suppose then that I already did it, being as I know I was in Oakland, dressed as a woman, before the amendment occurred. So would I do it again, uh yeah.

And masquerading, really?

Silver Member
    Since I started going out in the late 50s I did and didn't know how much trouble I could get in. Going to jail dressed was not a good thing to have happen. I guess I must have passed pretty good since I walked by the police and they never said anything. Drove all over the country dressed.

It would depend on what the penalty is. If it was punishable by death, then I'd tend to keep things under wraps, which I had to do for much of my life. The first time I went out dressed was around 1978, and things could have gotten messy if I'd run across the wrong police officer. I did experience harassment by Chicago police long after it had become legal here, in the early 1990's, so even though it's legal, you can still have an unpleasant experience if you encounter a cop who wants to cause problems for you.

In the 1990's, I had a CD friend who was a retired Chicago cop who had arrested many a CD over the years just for dressing. Pretty ironic.
    My name is Carol.

That's almost like asking if I would stop breathing if they were to make it illegal to breathe our polluted air.H.ll, no.

Bobbi

Not that it is an issue here, But make me think.
    I don't change my facial appearance at all so
    not really impersonating or masquerading just dressing like a women.
    So if there was a law, I wonder where this would fit.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    I only dress inside my house, so that law would not affect me. Now if they enforced under dressing, well they just might get an argument from me. After all, what they do not see, does not concern them. Rader
    There are a whole lot of laws on the books that regulate what we do out of sight of the rest of the world, on our own property, that doesn't affect anyone else.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 08-20-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: don't bring politics into this
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.