Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a sensible type or an eccentric ?

Banned Read only

Are you a sensible type or an eccentric ?

Last Friday night at my social meeting while I was serving myself a coffee I stepped aside to let someone to pass when I caught the side of my foot on the leg of some stacked chairs. It must have some jagged metal because the side of my foot was bleeding and I had a torn hole in my stocking, ( yes I did do a Dick Dastardly impression under my breath !) No problem, from my first time out I'd taken the precaution of putting a spare pair of stockings in a polythene bag to tuck in my handbag . So I made my way to the disabled toilet because it had more room, to slip the stocking off and try to stem the bleeding. After a few minutes slipped on the new stocking , nearly as good as new , I felt like no so much a good boyscout but more a good girl guide.

Saturday morning my wife noticed the gash on my foot, so I retold the incident and how I'd sensibly taken some spare stockings. She looked at me, pulled the usual disapproving face and said you really are an old eccentric, I don't know anybody who carries a spare pair of tights or stockings.

So I've just failed another GG test, women don't carry spares unless they're eccentric !

So what are you a sensible type or an old eccentric ??
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-21-2016 at 05:25 AM. Reason: missed the n out of sensible in the title.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I like to be prepared so I would say sensible type.

I would have to say I am more the sensible type

Do not know about stockings but have you lifted a women's purse? They must be carrying extra somethings in them!! Maybe bricks?? To answer the thread,if carrying spares is eccentric then yes!! But I plead mercy as I was a Boy Scout leader and had to be prepared!!! LOL Hugs Lana Mae

Oh definitely the sensible type for me.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    Since I don't go out dressed I can't really comment. I don't think I would carry an extra pair if I did go out, being that prepared just doesn't seem to be in my nature. What I really wanted to comment on was that gg's don't carry extras. My wife back in the day when she wore pantyhose didn't carry extra ones and how many times did I have to make a stop somewhere, or rush out to a store to buy her another pair because the ones she was wearing were ruined. Maybe that's why so many don't wear them at all anymore?
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    Or the other problem could have been that when I use to borrow my wife's and laddered them she would search for non existent tights, I do prefer my own stockings now.

From reading posts, I gather that many of us bring a change of men's clothing on an outing just in case. I don't even do that.

I would say you're like my wife and think ahead, which us neanderthals are not likely to do.

I think you'll find many GG's carry a spare pair. My wife does and she's definitely not eccentric. Oh, and if it was me, I would also bring a spare pair.
    A girl can never have too many dresses

Hi All, I now join the eccentric group, I wear Thy Highs an for the same reason carry one. I do have to ck my spare because I like to wear different colors. All so they are a lot easyer to change, plus we have the extra baggess to contend with. Jo

When it comes to having a second pair of hose, I'm sensible...also, I make sure my clutch has a variety of cosmetics for touch up as the evening the progresses when I've gone clubbing.... However, in so many other ways I'm eccentric!
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

What's wrong with being a Sensible Eccentric? ;-)

I have often brought a spare pair of hose, as well as makeup repair kit etc. Easy insurance.

Banned Read only
    Christina,
    I also throw a change of drab clothes in my car, somehow my wife thinks that's sensible !

As Suzie replies that must make me sensible eccentric !

Sensible here....I always like to have an extra pair of stockings or pair of panties in the car just in case.....
    You never know what can happen!~

Platinum Member
    The GG's I use to work with carried a spare package of pantyhose in the glove compartment of the car, in the desk at work. Just feel lucky you do not carry a spare panty in your purse in case suffer from incontinence or leakage. Too many ads on the tune for leakage!

I am the sensible type and normally have a spare pair in the car.

This has proved useful on more than one occasion.

On a side note I have only met one GG with a heavier bag than mine.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Why does eccentric have to be old? I'm just always acutely aware of my surroundings and a quick thinker.
    In this dumbed down world, it's the best defense!
    I don't prepare much for perceived emergencies. I just react well.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Aspiring Member
    I often carry a spare pair of tights and so do lots of GGs I know. The few times I go out now it is to places where it would be difficult to get a replacement pair that wasnt cheap and nasty. If only that was my sole eccentricity.

OMG Teresa, I know many GG's that carry spare stuff. I am a common sense, intellectual person and aware of my surroundings. It is always a good idea to carry extra tings like a hair tie. I put one in my dive box as the last time I dived my hair tie disappeared in the abyss of of the water depths. Took the pony tail tie right off. Got back on the boat and long freaking hair and I had to endure it while packing my gear on the dock and turning the weights in. Probably looked pretty girly in the midst of the burly men. Yep always be prepared.
    Part Time Girl

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Would have to say I'm more eccentric, yet sensible to an extent.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I do not carry spares - patch small holes with nail polish until I can find a store or go bare legged (my purse is already pretty full)

If I'm going to be out for more than an hour or two, I always carry spare stockings, a pair of sneakers, and some makeup basics (lipstick, nail polish, blotting powder) for touch-ups. I'm sure not every GG does the same, but I know many who do. I could probably find a pair of pantyhose in half the desk drawers at work! I usually keep my backup stuff in the car so it doesn't weigh down my purse.

- Diane

I'm nutty as a fruitcake, but I don't carry spares of anything. I do carry a lipstick and a small makeup mirror in my purse.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    I remember back in high school (in the 90's when hose were still a very much "in" fashion), a very similar thing happened to my date for the prom. Literally 4 other girls offered my date a spare pair, but it was unnecessary, because my date had her own spare in her purse, LOL.

Granted, it was the prom. I'm sure most ladies didn't travel that prepared all the time, but still ... I don't think you're that much of an eccentric for being prepared :-)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

"Sensible" or "anal-retentive"? It's a slippery slope - LOL!

I probably gravitate towards the latter. Not only do I bring along an extra pair of pantyhose ("tights" to our UK, SA, Aussie and NZ sisters here ), I also carry a spare car key and some folding money in another place besides my purse (O.K. - full disclosure...in my bra, just as any self-respecting GG would do ). I do this whenever I am out and about as "Leslie" in the unlikely event that I lose either my purse or wallet, and so that I have some means to get home safely. I also bring along a full set of "boy" clothes, just in case that "Superman" needs to revert back to "Clark Kent" mode in case of an emergency.

I remember my wife telling me that girls of her generation (i.e. around the time the earth's crust cooled, and well before the advent of mobile phones) were always cautioned to bring along at least a dime (10 cents) to make an emergency call home from a pay phone whenever they were out on a date in the event that things got out of hand and they needed to be rescued.

"An ounce of prevention..." as they used to say...