Thread: Well, I uess I won't be going THERE for a makeover!

Well, I uess I won't be going THERE for a makeover!

Hi Girls,

So I was walking through Macy's today and had a brief but interesting experience. I had heard that Clinique makeup is fragrance free and had been thinking about getting a makeover some time so I thought I would ask a few questions. Well I only asked one, which was do you do makeup for men. I immediately saw the smile on the middle aged SA's face falter, then she recovered and said "Per our company policy I would say yes". I refrained from telling her to enjoy the rest of her narrow-minded life and took the high-ish road and said that was a very qualified yes, thanked her and left.

I think I'll go with my first plan, which is to go to the nearby salon instead that is TS owned and get it done by someone who wants my business.

Elizabeth

Uh yeah thats' a ten ten on the side.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    Elizabeth,
    You shouldn't have been put off so easily, maybe the SA was just having a bad day, it might be interesting if you go back and find another SA and see what her response is.

I can only say Boots gave me a wonderful service, I was passed on to a beautician to check my skin colour and then she showed me how to apply foundation and powder, we talked about eye makeup then she acted like a personal shop guide to checkout lipstick colours and deodorants. It was the best Sunday morning I'd had in ages , she said it was great to try makeup on a man and enjoyed it very much .

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Yeah, I've been to several different Macy's and at several different Clinique counters and have received nothing but excellent service. Never once has anyone ever been put off by me wanting to shop there, or get advice, or get complete makeovers. If you truly did have a negative experience, enough so that you won't shop there, then you should alert the manager so that they may address the problem and future customers will not be dissuaded from purchasing there.

Of course, I have never gone and asked if they do makeup for men. I simply walk up to the counter and ask if they have time for a makeover. They have either said yes, or have given me a time during which they would be available.

As of late though I have switched to Urban Decay. I prefer their products, and their sales associates tend to be a bit younger and have been more excited about doing my makeup.

Banned Spammer
    Its best to support transgender businesses because we have lost a bunch due to low sales volume.

RECYCLE TRANSGENDER DOLLAR$
    Last edited by reinasblack; 08-22-2016 at 01:36 PM.

I've had wonderful service at Ulta
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Silver Member
    It can happen in any store. I was at a national department store. I asked to try on a blouse and the older SA said no way. I had been by another department earlier and didn't see anything I wanted but went back and asked to try on the blouse. The SA said sure and showed me to a dressing room. Ended up spending quite a bit with her from the other department over the next 3 months.

I recently had makeovers done at MAC and Sephora and couldn't have been treated better. Can't wait to go back.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It's important to remember that SA's provide a service for which we pay. Why do u need her to approve of your dressing? U really only need her to make u look good.

If she does a lousy job? THEN, dump her. And, don't tip!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    I always make a point of asking to use the fitting rooms. Because they are kept locked when unoccupied, a sales person has to unlock one for each customer. It's about loss prevention only. I have NEVER been refused the use of a fitting room.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Maybe it was the way you asked her you ever think of that?
    You can't just walk up all dude ish and not expect her to react like she did. Maybe she never had a guy ask her and was taken back a little.
    You just got pissed,turned tail and stormed out is all. She didn't do anything wrong or deny you of their services you just took it the wrong way.
    I have shopped Macy's make up area and the women have been nothing but nice to me.

Hi Tracii,

I hardly think telling the SA that she gave a qualified response and thanking her rises to the level of getting pissed, turning tail and walking out. I worked retail in the past and because of my experiences doing so I always try to be polite to people in those positions. I'm sure if I returned and spoke to a different SA I would receive a very different response, as it appears, you have.

Miss Elizabeth, ihad on done by Macy, and the lady really did not know how to do a makeover on a guy in a dress, and i could tell she just what me gone. I have heard many ladies here had wonderful makeover at Macy's, mind just was one of them. hugs.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

It's a totally different art form that some folks are just not ready for yet, although if it were myself, I would consider it a challenge to make a man look beautiful.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Elizabeth, I give you so much credit for asking the question! I would love to have someone do my eye makeup. One day I will, and truly admire those who have posted their positive experiences here!

Hi Sarah,

I have also posted here about positive experiences, which far outnumber the negative. I suppose this was just the exception that proves the rule. Please don't let this one experience of mine deter you from getting new things yourself.

Elizabeth

I also went to a MAC stand alone store in an upscale mall here in S. Fl and couldn't have been treated better............loved it and of course so did they...........I spent WAY too much on makeup.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    The only semi rude SA make up person was in a Merle Norman store and she was in the late 60's.
    I walked in looked around and asked her about foundation and a few other products and she said dear I think you are in the wrong store men don't wear make up.
    I thanked her for her time and said well I'll walk down to Macy's then have a nice day.
    No sense in making a big stink over it.

Silver Member
    I think being more polite and replying with a simple "Thank you" would do more for your/our cause. I have had so many more very pleasant and positive responses to similar questions so i just shrug off those kind and smile as I head to a place that wants to do business with me. I just inquired at 2 new salons in NJ and they could not have been any more welcoming. One scheduled me with herself and the other said that Tamara was available but that any MA would be happy to help me.