Thread: Getting ready to move - what to keep/what to toss?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

Getting ready to move - what to keep/what to toss?

I'm going to sell my house. I've been here for about 15 years and it was shortly after moving in that my wife discovered and eventually accepted my crossdressing. She passed away 3 1/2 years ago and the house is too big for me, but just the right size for one of my children and his family. Soon he will have mortgage in hand and I'm going to have to move out, somewhere. So what does this have to do with crossdressing?

Simple, I need to downsize my wardrobe. I just don't want to move it all and would love to get a few "rules of thumb" or "basic wardrobe" suggestions to help me bring the amount of stuff I move, if not to a minimum, to a manageable size.

Right now the primary cut is "does it fit?" followed by "would you actually have the opportunity to wear it out of the house?"

I have too much. What criteria would you use to prune back your collection (assuming you have enough to prune)? Maybe reverse engineer it and define the rules for building a reasonable and fun wardrobe for a 60 year-old.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    It's an interesting question because it may be something I will have to consider in the future.
    My son is often making comments that our house would be great for his family to move into, we might have come to some deal but then I have a daughter to consider and I must be fair to both children.
    At the moment I haven't accumulated much stuff, well that's we all say ! Now I buy my own things my wife's hand me downs would be the first to go, they serve well enough to wear around the house but I wouldn't go out in them. Most of my shoes are fairly recent buys so they would stay. I'm still losing a little weight so worrying about what fits isn't a problem.

Maybe just box it all up and put it in storage until you know how much wardrobe/closet space you have and then decide what to keep, what's the betting most of it will find a space somewhere !

Banned Read only
    I think part of the "problem" of amassing a large wardrobe is whether or not the clothes are more than just clothes. Maybe it goes back to the "why" we or just me do the things we do? I have not idea why I have 145 dresses in my wardrobe. I don't know any woman who has 145 dresses. That's net of discards/donations. If I were in a situation to rid some of my wardrobe I'd start of exactly as you are doing. If it does not fit, gone. If I would not have the opportunity to wear it (wedding dress?), gone. If it's maybe too many black and white floral prints, preen the number down. The same with bras. I don't have boobs, real ones. Bras are undergarments. How many do I really need? Gone.

The only issue is the "why." If there is some psychological or inner need that has to be feed I think you need to rid yourself of garments that have not been worn for some time, so you can purchase new garments. It may seem like a waste of money, but, if finances are not the issue then enjoy spending what you have earned.

When I moved like two and a half years ago I faced a similar delimma. I started with dose it fit, then do u wear it, then do I have similar items. From there I had some that needed repairs. Then will I wear it out? I got rid of a bunch of things and still probably kept to much. No I look at will I wear it out? I have enough things for in the house only.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    That can be a tough one.
    Just imagine yourself without certain items; granted, still might be difficult.

Place things into categories perhaps, like category #1: definitely keep, to #5: gotta go.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I go through the same thought process when making room in my closet or drawers, cleaning out the garage, or culling my crossdressing things, and that is: when was the last time I used/wore this, and can I do without it?
    Examples. A multimeter I don't use often, but I'll need again some day, just don't know when. Keep.
    A wig I wore once and hated it. Toss.
    Pick up an item and make a decision.

I think you got a good handle on how to start, Sarah. I'd also lead towards something being age appropriate. I wish you good luck, but I also hope your new location is a bit easier to describe in the location slot on the Avatar!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I have been sorting things out in my house because I am moving as well. We are downsizing from 3600 square feet to 1700.

#1 question with anything: Have I worn it or used it in a year?
    --If it is not an heirloom then it is gone.

Did it at one time bring me joy? Great. I am fortunate. Move on. No regrets.
    Live and let dress.

Reality Check
    I think "Does it fit?" is the most obvious, followed by "How often do I wear it".

I'm not moving but I have come to realize that I have at least twice as many items of clothing as I can wear. So, I am faced with the same decision but not a time frame. I did pick out three blouses and one skirt to dump but that's far from enough. It should be more like thirty blouses and ten skirts.

Please consider donating things you no longer want to keep to a charity that will give them to folks who actually need clothing to wear to work, etc., not to a place that resells them or chops them up for rags.
    Last edited by Krisi; 09-12-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Banned Read only
    1) does it fit?
    2) how many times have I worn it in the last 6 months?
    3) Is it more than a year old?
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 09-12-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Sarah
    anything that has a sentimental value, anything that can not be replaced due to the style or material. Other than that and what you have already stated. It could be a good opportunity.
    Best of luck Gina

I agree that if it hold any sentimental value keep it and if it fits and is i good contrition keep it. Things like boots, heels and other footwear sometimes cannot be replaced. So look at those things carefully.
    Part Time Girl